Adrian Lam still Ian Lenagan’s first choice for Wigan Warriors job

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Adrian Lam still Ian Lenagan’s first choice for Wigan Warriors job

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Lam doesn’t need a job, though, as he accepted the gig as a stop gap in the first place. Which might be part of the problem I suppose. Once you set off as someone who won’t be around for long, maybe you inevitably get ignored by the team.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm Lam doesn’t need a job, though, as he accepted the gig as a stop gap in the first place. Which might be part of the problem I suppose. Once you set off as someone who won’t be around for long, maybe you inevitably get ignored by the team.
Neil Lennon did o.k. at Celtic.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm Lam doesn’t need a job, though, as he accepted the gig as a stop gap in the first place. Which might be part of the problem I suppose. Once you set off as someone who won’t be around for long, maybe you inevitably get ignored by the team.
He does need a job as at the end of the year he is unemployed unless you know of an agreement he has. I agree he accepted as a stop gap but that always meant at the end of the year he needed to find a job somewhere. Now wigan may not be a option for him but unless he plans to retire at the end of this season he needs a job and the one he previously thought was taken is now vacant
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I assumed he had things to go back to, eg in the set up for the Aussie national side (which is effectively having a week off), as he was meant to be a stop gap.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm I assumed he had things to go back to, eg in the set up for the Aussie national side (which is effectively having a week off), as he was meant to be a stop gap.
At the point of us having Lam for 2019 and Edwards for 2020 onwards, there was a comment about a decision of whether Lam would stay on from 2020 if he won trophies this year. On one side of the fence that would suggest he doesn't....Then again, he may have something lined up but being successful and staying on at Wigan may trump it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just read Hastings interview re: pongia and when he was asked about us he said something i mentioned a while back
“A lot goes into the decision, you want to know who will be coaching where and who you will be playing with,” said Hastings.
Wigan cannot continue to drag their heels with everything the management at the club is nothing short of abysmal the club is being run into the ground by ex players in suits. We are going to lose time and time again unless we set out some form of plan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm Just read Hastings interview re: pongia and when he was asked about us he said something i mentioned a while back
“A lot goes into the decision, you want to know who will be coaching where and who you will be playing with,” said Hastings.
Wigan cannot continue to drag their heels with everything the management at the club is nothing short of abysmal the club is being run into the ground by ex players in suits. We are going to lose time and time again unless we set out some form of plan
Well there you have it. Good players want to be coached by good coaches and be part of a good squad.

Unfortunately I think IL is of the opinion that because "We are Wigan" all he has to do is ask them to sign.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Good point DaveO. I think we're at the point where 'top players' don't necessarily want to play for Wigan any more. This is something that has to change if we want to get back to winning trophies in the next few years. Let's be honest, as things stand, there are several clubs that a player (not from Wigan) good enough to have a choice would choose before us. They must also be wondering why so many of our own players want to leave.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is going too far to suggest we are Wigan isn’t a sales pitch. We are the biggest club in the game over here, and have been champions repeatedly. Hastings is probably playing us, while he sorts out his NRL deal. In which case he can use that as a throw away excuse.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm It is going too far to suggest we are Wigan isn’t a sales pitch. We are the biggest club in the game over here, and have been champions repeatedly. Hastings is probably playing us, while he sorts out his NRL deal. In which case he can use that as a throw away excuse.
I am sure it is used as a sales pitch but players aren't stupid and IL would be foolish to think it counts for anything much but I bet he does.

They can see the state of the club at this point in time and past success counts for nothing. It's a bit like Man Utd. Their record says they are the biggest club in the game but you won't find players queing up to sign for them given they didn't qualify for the Champions League. If Wigan look like a basket case players won't sign.