Adrian Lam still Ian Lenagan’s first choice for Wigan Warriors job

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam still Ian Lenagan’s first choice for Wigan Warriors job

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Lenagan says Adrian Lam is still favourite to coach Wigan in 2020.

The incumbent boss - only expected to be in charge for one season - has been the leading candidate to stay on since Shaun Edwards’ high-profile back-flip. Despite a poor first half to the season, Lam has made a good impression on Lenagan and Wigan had suggested they had turned a corner in recent weeks - until Saturday’s limp display in a 33-16 loss to Catalans.

“Adrian Lam has to be favourite to take over,” said Lenagan, speaking at a fans’ event in Barcelona ahead of the Nou Camp match.

“I haven’t changed my view.” Lam has previously admitted he would be open to the idea of extending his stay at the club where he used to play. Lenagan sat with Super League chief executive Robert Elstone on Saturday to see a new record crowd of 31,555 watch the Dragons claim a deserved win.

Catalans were invited to stage the game at the home of Barcelona FC after winning the Challenge Cup last August and, by most measures, the event was a success.

Wigan, of course, have previously taken home games on the road. They staged a Super-8s match in Millwall, London in 2015 and last year faced Hull FC in Wollongong, Australia.

Despite the success of Catalans’ Nou Camp adventure, Lenagan admitted he would be reluctant to take another Wigan match away from the DW Stadium because of criticism he received from some season ticket holders.

“It has an appeal but the problem is I had so much stick, I’m not so sure I want to do it again,” he said.

Lam and his players returned to England yesterday as they switch their attention to Saturday’s Magic Weekend clash with Warrington at Liverpool’s Anfield ground.

Joe Greenwood will have a knee injury checked tomorrow.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/adrian ... -1-9777378
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Adrian Lam still Ian Lenagan’s first choice for Wigan Warriors job

Post by fozzieskem »

Nice to see Lenegan listening to fans over stiffing them on the cost of a game,people have long memories so I hope he keeps to his word and doesn’t take a game away again.

As for Lam..well for me he simply isn’t the right fit for the job,Saturday was appalling and it’s far from the first time it’s been like that this season,so I don’t see what qualifies him for the job I don’t know.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am
“Adrian Lam has to be favourite to take over,” said Lenagan, speaking at a fans’ event in Barcelona ahead of the Nou Camp match.
By what measure?????
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
superleague

Post by superleague »

He ain't going to put more bums on seats with lam in charge
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

superleague wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:57 am He ain't going to put more bums on seats with lam in charge
Feel like IL doesnt really care anymore - big statement i know but when he came in he was a lot more open with fans, the forums etc we got regular updates from the club and it felt like everything was moving in the right direction.

Over the last couple of years it really does feel like IL doesnt care what the fans think and is just trying to reduce the wage bill until he can get out.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am
By what measure?????
A few acolytes on Facebook no doubt
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

"Lam has made a good impression on Lenagan". Please tell us more IL. Give us a clue as to what you are seeing that we aren't!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Does this mean we are get a assistant defence coach?

When Lams attack works it looks good but its pointless when our defence is So bad.

Id like some good news IL, why should i renew my ST? I can spend that money on going watching random matches throughout the year, buying one is my commitment to Wigan, where's your current commitment to fans?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If he just holds off a few weeks, Lam’s shortcomings will be so painfully obvious by the time we lose our next 4 games that this won’t even be an option.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The most worrying thing about this statement is that it implies that Lenagan isn't even looking at anybody else yet or perhaps they don't want to come to such a progressive club. Is Lammy therefore involved in deciding which players we're supposed to be interested in next season? I just hope I'm wrong but, at the half way point of this season, it's not looking good for next season either.