Wigan Warriors' 2020 plans taking shape - but Adrian Lam doesn't expect any signings for this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' 2020 plans taking shape - but Adrian Lam doesn't expect any signings for this season

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam doesn’t expect to add any reinforcements for this season – but Wigan’s plans for 2020 appear to be taking shape.

Salford centre Jake Bibby is thought to be close to completing a move to the Warriors for next year.

He will follow Castleford prop Mitch Clark in agreeing to move to the DW Stadium for next season.

Wigan are also hoping to persuade the Red Devils halfback Jackson Hastings to join although they face intense competition from other clubs for his signature.

But it appears any new arrivals will be for the start of pre-season in late autumn.

Lam hasn’t ruled out making additions for this season but says he isn’t expecting any – and is content with the squad he has.

Asked whether he expected any imminent arrivals, the coach said: “No. If there’s an opportunity to bring someone in then we’ll look at it, but I think we can get by with what we’ve got.”

Clubs have until August 9 to sign players for the current season.

A report elsewhere suggested Wigan wanted Clark immediately but he is under contract with the Tigers, and has been playing recently including their two matches against Wigan this season.

Bibby, who turns 23 next month, has the squad number 5 at Salford but has also played at centre and in the second-row this year.

A former Orrell St James junior, he would seem more likely to play at centre for his hometown club – particularly if Dan Sarginson departs at the end of his contract.

League Weekly has also linked the Warriors with a move for Gold Coast Titans prop Max King, a 22-year-old who has 38 NRL games under his belt.

Of Wigan’s out-of-contract players, a decision needs to be made on whether Thomas Leuluai and Sean O’Loughlin play on in 2020 or hang up their boots.

Both have indicated they would like to continue playing before taking coaching roles with the club.

Winger Joe Burgess and prop Tony Clubb are thought to have agreed extensions though there has been no confirmation.

And there has been no official word about George Williams’ widely-expected move to Canberra Raiders for 2020.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9797426
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan Warriors' 2020 plans taking shape - but Adrian Lam doesn't expect any signings for this season

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

so basically this Winger is now a centre for the purposes of our recruitment

remember when we tried to make Pat Richards a Centre how well that went??!?!

what is it with Wigan - why does absolutely no-one see the value in a proper centre!!!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Re: Wigan Warriors' 2020 plans taking shape - but Adrian Lam doesn't expect any signings for this season

Post by ddtftf »

Clubb new contract thats it i am gone :cry: :cry:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Signings
Mitch Clarke
Jake Bibby

Contract Extensions
Joe Burgess
Tony Clubb

Potential Extensions
Tommy L
SOL

2020 is looking bright.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Looks like we are shopping in poundland again
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It all depends on the final shape, as ever.
If we add Clarke for Hamlin plus an NRL prop, Hastings for Williams and Bibby for Sarg, then that’s not bad business. 2 naturally large props would be a huge step up. Clubb would be a decent 6th in line prop, so I am not bothered either way as long as we bring in the others.
So, that would, overall, leave us in credit.
Another marquee player, especially at 9, would be perfect. Which maybe depends on whether Tommy and Lockers will go round again. We also have some superb juniors who will be a year older...
I think it’s a bit of an over reaction to read that article and somehow conclude that Bibby and Clark will be the extent of the new signings.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Bibby is not a regular starter for Salford, Max Ķing I have never heard of and I follow the NRL every week.Clubb getting an extension and Tommy and Lockers may go round again.If several clubs are genuinely in for Hastings then we will miss out as our offer wont be the biggest.The news could hardly be worse and I am disgusted but not surprised.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:24 pm It all depends on the final shape, as ever.
If we add Clarke for Hamlin plus an NRL prop, Hastings for Williams and Bibby for Sarg, then that’s not bad business. 2 naturally large props would be a huge step up. Clubb would be a decent 6th in line prop, so I am not bothered either way as long as we bring in the others.
Another marquee player, especially at 9, would be perfect. Which maybe depends on whether Tommy and Lockers will go round again. We also have some superb juniors who will be a year older...
I think it’s a bit of an over reaction to read that article and somehow conclude that Bibby and Clark will be the extent of the new signings.
Lam will have a decent run next season when we get the necessary bodies signed
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:24 pm It all depends on the final shape, as ever.
Lam will have a decent run next season when we get the necessary bodies signed
we will see, next game we have Manfredi out from out strongest starting 17
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Officially Lam is keeping his options open.
Unofficially he has to start winning games and soon. That's games plural not just the odd one here and there like we've done 2019 so far.
A signing this year would be ideal as most of us see the pack as an area that needs strengthening as soon as possible. A fully fit 8-13 would also help.
Lam has to prove he's a quality coach by playing winning and stylish rugby.