Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by moto748 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:57 am Just because the best in the world doesn't run from dummy half much doesn't mean it can't be effective. Super League is a different competition to the NRL and defences are more likely to struggle with quick hookers who get out from dummy half and can engage the defensive line before passing.

I think the issue isn't as much about how often hookers run from dummy half but how effective then can be when they do so.

Exactly. Cam Smith may not run from dummy-half often (although he does occasionally), but Issac Luke does, Damien Cook does, Robbie Farah does...
Some fans may be sniffy about it, but it's an effective tool in the modern game., And it's an area where Wigan offer less than probably another other SL side.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by morley pie eater »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:28 am
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 am
PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm
At hooker. Anything is better than we have now. At least we would get some runs from dummy half.
What's the obsession with dummy half scoots? The best hooker in the world is Cameron Smith, very rarely runs from dummy half but has the best distribution from there that I have ever seen, and hardly ever gets caught in possession.
Give me a Smith over a Roby or a Clarke anytime.
As for Escare, not good enough, but I would have played him last week on the wing before Hankinson.
And the best we had was Martin Dermott. Waterworth had a great distribution game, his long passes created room for the halves but the club decided to let him go. Personally, I would have given him more time.
I reckon there's more variation in number 9s than any other position. I know we can't disregard overall changes to the game, but how would you compare Nicky Kiss (fans' favourite), Dermott, Martin Hall, Micky Mac and Sam Powell?

I don't mean how would you rank them, but what were key differences, strengths and weaknesses?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 am

What's the obsession with dummy half scoots? The best hooker in the world is Cameron Smith, very rarely runs from dummy half but has the best distribution from there that I have ever seen, and hardly ever gets caught in possession.
As for Escare, not good enough, but I would have played him last week on the wing before Hankinson.
And the best we had was Martin Dermott. Waterworth had a great distribution game, his long passes created room for the halves but the club decided to let him go. Personally, I would have given him more time.
I reckon there's more variation in number 9s than any other position. I know we can't disregard overall changes to the game, but how would you compare Nicky Kiss (fans' favourite), Dermott, Martin Hall, Micky Mac and Sam Powell?

I don't mean how would you rank them, but what were key differences, strengths and weaknesses?
they were all different mpe....... dermott was a great flat passer of the ball( just like edwards) him gregory and edwards was the best three passing triangle we have ever had imo...... possibly as good as any in my era........ mm was the toughest and defensively the best.he also had a great short passing and kicking game...........nicky kiss was easily the best one on one ball stealer ive ever seen........ to be honest i believe that newton was our best all round hooker coz he had the lot imo......... oh before i forget....... martin hall wasnt half bad neither and vastly underrated
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 am What's the obsession with dummy half scoots? The best hooker in the world is Cameron Smith, very rarely runs from dummy half but has the best distribution from there that I have ever seen, and hardly ever gets caught in possession.

How dare you mention Powell in the same sentence as those four ;) They are all hookers who at their time in the game were, bar Hall perhaps, considered top players in their position. Powell isn’t even a hooker. He’s an ex academy half back who didn’t cut it at 7 and got shoved in at 9.

Those four had different strengths and skills but they all possessed at least one skill you’d expect a top hooker to have. Powell doesn’t have any of them. Even his defence isn’t all it’s cracked up to be as he’s often third man in.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 pm

In what position?

Escare ain’t fit to lace burrows boots. Oh, and they play a completely different position as well.

You need to get realistic.
Agreed,
At hooker. Anything is better than we have now. At least we would get some runs from dummy half.
And has ever played at hooker???

Maybe he has way back when but its a hell of assumption on your part, this almost hysterical call from people like you to play at hooker,out wide,becuase Escare must play it seems to me that maybe, just maybe he's just not the player in Lams plan for this or next season and beyond.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If the rumours are true about Morgan & Zak, it looks like we could be without two FB's next season!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm If the rumours are true about Morgan & Zak, it looks like we could be without two FB's next season!
Don't worry Josie, The brains trust will give Sarginson a 3 season contract to play there :shock:
Wes

Post by Wes »

medlocke wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm If the rumours are true about Morgan & Zak, it looks like we could be without two FB's next season!
Don't worry Josie, The brains trust will give Sarginson a 3 season contract to play there :shock:
I thought Sarge was/has been his most effective for us when he did/has played there.

I’d prefer Hardaker mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro