Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Escare is eyeing a return to former club Catalan Dragons, according to reports in France.

The French full-back still has a year left on his current contract at Wigan.

But according to newspaper L’independent, an approach has been made to Steve McNamara’s outfit about a potential return to Perpignan.

With Sam Tomkins and Tony Gigot already competing for the No.1 role at the Dragons, the report says a move would be made more likely if the 27-year-old accepted a modest deal.

Escare joined Wigan ahead of the 2017 campaign and was in the side which won the World Club Challenge that year.

He followed that up with a brave display in the Grand Final at the end of last season, when he was often used off the bench in a move which saw Tomkins switch from No.1 to half-back.

But that latter option has been removed since Zak Hardaker replaced Tomkins at full-back, and the livewire has struggled for game-time in Adrian Lam's side this year.

He has started five matches and also appeared once from the bench but has been overlooked for their last three matches.

And though he has utility value, Lam opted for Chris Hankinson as his winger in last week's Magic Weekend game when he was without Dom Manfredi, Tom Davies and Liam Marshall.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9798251
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PF Warrior

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by PF Warrior »

This is a disgrace. I don't like being disrespectful of Coaches, but I cannot understand what Adrian Lam is doing not using Morgan Escar'e. My thoughts as regards, Morgan are that I would use him in the way the Rhino's used Burrows. Put Morgan on, off the bench, 15/20 minutes before the end of both halves and with his speed he would score and create tries.

Lam has this quality player in his squad which he keeps on overlooking when choosing his team. I believe that this is one of the qualities that shows Lam has never coached,or been assistant at a club, that is in a league where the week in week out the team performance is critical.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors' Morgan Escare linked with return to Catalans Dragons - reports

Post by Caboosegg »

Exciting player suited to a free flowing style of attack.

No lets freeze him out and play worse attack rugby than last year 😂
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Swap him for Bousquet
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm Swap him for Bousquet
MM please if we not signing a hooker next season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Escare must be the only player in the world who gets better the less he plays. If he doesn't play again by the end of the season he'll be a shoo-in for Man of Steel. We've seen what Escare has done on the field this season when he's been selected. It's nothing like what people are suggesting he brings to the side now that he's not featured for several games.

I do like Escare. I think he can be dangerous when given the opportunity but overall if you weigh up the positives and negatives of both players Hardaker probably comes out on top. And Escare isn't really a versatile player as he's been less than convincing on the wing and looked well out of his depth in the halves.

It's almost like people are blaming our whole season on Escare not being selected. Ideally I'd rather have Escare in the team than Hardaker as I prefer to see a lightning quick fullback with good handling ability and he's a more exciting player than Hardaker (he's also not repeatedly been a bell-end) but Escare's form wasn't great and he didn't really take his chance.

Some suggest moving Hardaker to centre but he's never really looked good at centre, so it seems like an awkward move to accommodate Escare and move one of the few players who has played reasonably well this year.

If Escare isn't getting picked and hasn't really forced himself into contention then it also makes sense to look at the possibility of letting him go. He'll be on a reasonable contract and if he's not getting selected it's wasted money that could be used to strengthen our pack. If you're not 1st choice you could do with being versatile and as mentioned above, Escare hasn't really shown much in other positions to suggest he covers a few bases.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

This should be in the Rumour Mill with the other thread linking him with Toronto
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Surely we aren’t making this sort of decision with Lam still at the helm. The next coach may we’ll have very different views. That said, I like him but he reminds me a bit of Andre Stoop - almost but not quite.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:01 pm Surely we aren’t making this sort of decision with Lam still at the helm. The next coach may we’ll have very different views. That said, I like him but he reminds me a bit of Andre Stoop - almost but not quite.
I suspect Lam IS the next coach
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

PF Warrior wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:53 pm This is a disgrace. I don't like being disrespectful of Coaches, but I cannot understand what Adrian Lam is doing not using Morgan Escar'e. My thoughts as regards, Morgan are that I would use him in the way the Rhino's used Burrows. Put Morgan on, off the bench, 15/20 minutes before the end of both halves and with his speed he would score and create tries.

Lam has this quality player in his squad which he keeps on overlooking when choosing his team. I believe that this is one of the qualities that shows Lam has never coached,or been assistant at a club, that is in a league where the week in week out the team performance is critical.
In what position?

Escare ain’t fit to lace burrows boots. Oh, and they play a completely different position as well.

You need to get realistic.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."