New coaching structure for Women

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

New coaching structure for Women

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Women announce new coaching structure.

Kris Ratcliffe is named as the new Head Coach of the Women’s side.

Women’s Super League winning coach Amanda Wilkinson steps down from the role.

Wigan Warriors Women have named Kris Ratcliffe as their new Head Coach after Women’s Super League winning coach Amanda Wilkinson announced having stepped down from the role due to full-time work commitments.

Ratcliffe has been promoted from Assistant Coach to take over the role. A former semi-professional player for Rochdale Hornets & Blackpool Panthers and GB & England student international, Ratcliffe has been coaching for over 20 assisting England Universities, England Lionhearts and regional sides at women’s, men’s youth and junior levels.

Speaking about his appointment, Ratcliffe said: “I’m delighted to have been given the opportunity to take over as Head Coach of the Women’s team and I would like to thank the club for backing me to make the step up from assistant.

“I’m really looking forward to continuing to work with the team and feel confident that we will continue to improve and be in the mix come the end of the season. The girls have responded superbly this week in training, after a good win in the Challenge Cup and we’re looking for a big performance at home on Sunday vs Featherstone Rovers.”

On stepping down from the role outgoing Head Coach, Amanda Wilkinson, who led the Warriors to a Grand Final in their first year in Super League, explained her decision: “I took the role as Head Coach at the start of the journey as Wigan Warriors Women, I aimed to get everything set up, get a team together and make sure that we got the best we could for Wigan.

“For me, I think it’s the right decision for me to step down now, let somebody else take the reins and concentrate on the job I do at the Wigan Warriors. I’ve had 20 years of coaching and I think now is the time to concentrate on my personal life.”

“It has been absolutely brilliant to be able to be a part of setting up such a legacy at the Warriors, being able to be the first ever Women’s Head Coach and achieving something we would only have dreamed of by becoming Champions.

“I’ve met some great players, and it’s been an absolute pleasure being able to coach some of these immensely talented players and watch them grow. It’s all been about them, I’ve had a great team around me and I’ve enjoyed every moment.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-06- ... dweVxXz.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan