Wigan Superstar players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan Superstar players

Post by ancientnloyal »

Barrett delivered
Hoffman delivered

Vaealiki was exceptional. Henry Paul has white boots, David Vai had rolled down socks. Superstar.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

There are none at Wigan at the moment, and we are not going to sign any either as long IL is at the club.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not all of the past players mentioned were without their critics at the time. Think of George Fairbairn in the late 80s/early 90s team, or Edwards or Greg in the 70s.

Another consideration is that a star can often only really shine with other decent players around him, and a coach who is able to get the best out of him. Watch George Williams' reputation when he settles in at Canberra.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

old hooker wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 pm There are none at Wigan at the moment, and we are not going to sign any either as long IL is at the club.
I agree. To be fair though there are none in SL.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
pedro

Post by pedro »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 pm
old hooker wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 pm There are none at Wigan at the moment, and we are not going to sign any either as long IL is at the club.
Coote, Uate, Merrin, Naiqama, Hurrell, Lolohea and Blair were all top class players in the NRL add to that the golden boot winner plays in SL we have erm.....
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

First Try Tickle wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:48 am I'm hoping that the signings of current fringe players like Clark and Bibby and the resigning of other current mediocre players is because Rads is keeping the money back for a superstar signing.

Even my 9 year old niece who is Wigan mad was underwhelmed with yesterdays announcement.

I would love us to bring in a superstar Aussie, even if they are getting on a bit and it doesn't really work out.

Its the announcement we need at the moment.

Sonny Bill Williams please.
Who was your niece hoping for?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

There are defo not as many superstars in the league than there used to be that’s for sure.

The salary cap rise in Aus is a big reason for that but surely the marquee rule should be able to overcome it?

I don’t know why any player from Australia or Nz would want to leave their country to come and live in Wigan, St Helens or Leeds. They do not compare.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:16 pm
Coote, Uate, Merrin, Naiqama, Hurrell, Lolohea and Blair were all top class players in the NRL add to that the golden boot winner plays in SL we have erm.....
Would he be the golden boot winner if the corner flags had still been in play, Just looks jazzy with the flying through the corner flag tries
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Would he be the golden boot winner if the corner flags had still been in play, Just looks jazzy with the flying through the corner flag tries
It was a shocking decision. The RFL/super league haven’t even capitalised on it and tried to make him a poster boy and drum up some interest and marketing ploys.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not all of the past players mentioned were without their critics at the time. Think of George Fairbairn in the late 80s/early 90s team, or Edwards or Greg in the 70s.

Another consideration is that a star can often only really shine with other decent players around him, and a coach who is able to get the best out of him. Watch George Williams' reputation when he settles in at Canberra.

Williams will be back like so many others as a failure.