POWELL KICKS WIGAN TO VICTORY

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

POWELL KICKS WIGAN TO VICTORY

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors hooker Sam Powell kicked a huge late drop goal to deny Tony Smith a win in his first match since replacing Tim Sheens as Hull Kingston Rovers boss.

The teams were level until Powell launched a massive kick from 45 metres with two minutes remaining to prevent golden-point extra-time and seal a 19-18 victory for the visitors.

The champions’ dramatic success took them above Huddersfield into eighth place in the Betfred Super League table on points difference.

Rovers, who missed their own drop goal attempt through Josh Drinkwater three seconds from time, remain second bottom despite London Broncos upsetting leaders St Helens in equally dramatic fashion.

Hull KR trailed 14-6 at half-time but led 18-14 14 minutes into the second half thanks to tries from makeshift half back Will Dagger and Wigan-born substitute Ryan Lannon.

Adrian Lam’s side equalised with 15 minutes remaining when George Williams and Willie Isa combined and Liam Marshall finished in the corner.

Powell then sent his drop goal soaring through the posts to complete Wigan’s win.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/8 ... to-victory
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: POWELL KICKS WIGAN TO VICTORY

Post by josie andrews »

Felt sweet: Powell

Sam Powell reflects on Wigan Warriors 18-19 victory over Hull KR

The 26-year-old kicked a late drop goal to give Adrian Lam’s side the win.

“I watched it all the way.” Powell

Sam Powell believes Wigan Warriors still have things to work on after his ‘sweet’ drop goal gave them a 19-18 victory over Hull KR.

With only two minutes left on the clock, the hooker thought ‘I’ll just hit it’ as he got the vital point that saw the Warriors come away from KCOM Craven Park with two points.

The 25-year-old jokes, “I practice them in training but I never manage to hit them.”

“I’ve dropped a couple in Super League earlier on in my career, but that was probably the sweetest one.”

Once he made contact with the ball, Powell felt confident it would go over.

“It felt quite sweet,” he said. “I knew it had a chance so just watched it all the way, and was happy the fourth official had his arm up.”

Despite coming away with the victory the Warriors made like difficult for themselves after slipping behind despite leading at the break.

“We were disappointed with the second half and we do need to change a few things to kick on.”

Powell admits whilst the result was ‘positive’ there are still things to work on ahead of the next set of fixtures.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... MkLyCsp.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Miracle play: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s win over Hull KR

They dug in deep and I was really proud of them.” Lam

Discusses injuries including Hardaker and Flower

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam described Sam Powell’s winning drop goal vs Hull KR as a ‘miracle play’ following their narrow 18-19 victory over the the Robins on Sunday.

Speaking after the final whistle, Lam said on the win, “We’v got a pretty tough draw with three away games in a row so this was a good start to that.

“There was some great attitude from us to begin with, but we had to win the game twice in the end.”

Hooker Sam Powell sealed the two points for Wigan with a last-minute drop goal from over 40 metres out. On the winning play Lam said, “It was a miracle play that got us home really.”

“It was amazing, amazing. He took his time to do it as well but special moments like that can turn things around. I was more impressed with his 40-20 a few minutes earlier. He had some big plays today.”

Zak Hardaker was removed from the side at half time due to an injury, Lam explained the condition of the full-back. “He had just strained his hamstring. If we had him fit, and kicking, we may have been further ahead at half time.

“With the running of the game, we’d rather not have risked Zak in doing any further damage in the second half.”

At the break found themselves 6-16 ahead, however, the Head Coach highlighted key moments in the second half which allowed the Robins back into the game.

“There were three errors in the second half, which regardless of who you’re playing you can’t do. Hull KR then capitalised on those chances and were in front in a blink of an eye.

“Then (because of injuries) we were chasing the game with 30 minutes to play with just two subs in Bullock and Shorrocks. They dug in deep and I was really proud of them for that.”

Ben Flower, along with Zak Hardaker, left the field of play with an injury. The Wigan Head Coach provided an update on the prop-forward’s condition.

“Ben will be going to hospital tonight or tomorrow morning just to get a scan on his back as there is a fear he may have damaged one of his vertebrae. So we need to make sure he’s ok.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... e-play-lam
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Lam
Ben will be going to hospital tonight or tomorrow morning just to get a scan on his back as there is a fear he may have damaged one of his vertebrae. So we need to make sure he’s ok.”
Ben went straight to Salford Royal after the game Dr Brooks told me.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:59 pm Lam
Centre Dan Sarginson switched to full-back when Hardaker left the game at half-time.

"I thought he was the best player on the field. He looked like an international player, to be honest," said Lam. "I’m very happy for him. We’ve been looking at giving him a run at fullback for a while."
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9812324
WTF??
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I want what Lam is taking he is on cloud 9 and sooooooooooooo happyyyyyyyyy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Lam is taking a Positives out of that game......., seriously.

Admit when it isnt working Lam and change your style.

If hardaker isnt at fullback it should be Escare not a makeshift one using a centre that doesnt like to pass.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm Felt sweet: Powell

Sam Powell reflects on Wigan Warriors 18-19 victory over Hull KR

The 26-year-old kicked a late drop goal to give Adrian Lam’s side the win.

“I watched it all the way.” Powell

Sam Powell believes Wigan Warriors still have things to work on after his ‘sweet’ drop goal gave them a 19-18 victory over Hull KR.

With only two minutes left on the clock, the hooker thought ‘I’ll just hit it’ as he got the vital point that saw the Warriors come away from KCOM Craven Park with two points.

The 25-year-old jokes, “I practice them in training but I never manage to hit them.”

“I’ve dropped a couple in Super League earlier on in my career, but that was probably the sweetest one.”

Once he made contact with the ball, Powell felt confident it would go over.

“It felt quite sweet,” he said. “I knew it had a chance so just watched it all the way, and was happy the fourth official had his arm up.”

Despite coming away with the victory the Warriors made like difficult for themselves after slipping behind despite leading at the break.

“We were disappointed with the second half and we do need to change a few things to kick on.”

Powell admits whilst the result was ‘positive’ there are still things to work on ahead of the next set of fixtures.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... MkLyCsp.99
Seems like the kick made him younger Josie 🏉
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I'm sick of editing errors SJ! It's beyond belief that they never proof read their work!
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm I'm sick of editing errors SJ! It's beyond belief that they never proof read their work!
👮🏽 devil makes use of idle hands and I should know👍