What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Post by Firestarter »

What next i wonder?its been a terrible season for the club( especially off the pitch)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Lets hit the nail on the head! Adrian lam has never been a coach of club side in a competitive League. Except for a couple of months with St George Illawara, he has never been an assistant coach in such a league. His claim to fame is being the coach of the under 20’s squad at St. George, a position he took over from Steve Price, (Wolves coach), who moved up to be assistant under Wayne Bennett. Of course we must not forget his role with Papua New Guinea squad; they get together maybe once or twice a year, which does not give him the level of experience to be the head coach of one of the most famous Rugby League clubs in the world, Wigan Warriors. Our club deserves, or should I say demands, a coach with a high standard of coaching, experience gained as assistant to a recognised head coach as Justin Holbrook did at Sydney Roosters under Trent Barrett. Lam has not got this and it shows.
Our squad, minus John Bateman, Ryan Sutton and Sam Tomkins, were crowned Champions of Super League in October 2018. Since that date our squad has deteriorated to less than a shadow of last year’s Champions. I am aware there on many on this site post that it is not Lam’s fault, siting our injuries and loss of Bateman, Suttons and Tomkins, but that does not excuse the way the rest of the squad play, as if they are not being given any coaching at all. They come on with a game plan, but as soon as something that is not in the plan happens, they lose all cohesion. The defence has gone to hell in a hand cart, which was something the Warriors prided themselves on, well not anymore! I know that the fitness level of our squad has become non-existent since Mark Bitcom left. I do not blame Lam for this, the blame for this has to be laid at the door of Mr Lenagan and Kris Radlinski.
Some on this site have conveniently forgotten when Shaun Wane was in charge the injuries he had to contend with which was as bad, if not more so than at present and he still managed to get a squad that played with pride in the shirt they wore. Many on here were glad when Shaun Wane left, all looking forward to the return of the sainted one, and a period of miraculous coaching, with Lam stepping in for one season. That ended well didn’t it with Edwards using Wigan to get a better deal from that other code, and Lam not able to provide what is needed. Be careful what you wish for!
As for Lam’s coaching competence that leaves a lot to be desired. His team selection for games leaves me, and many others, confused. He has one player who he will not pick, who can change the flow of a game. I have followed Wigan for 63 years and I think I am able to know a good player when I see one, and Morgan Escar’e is one of those players. Brought on at the right time in the game, when the defence of our opponents is tired, he will score and create trys I have read on this site that there are those who do not rate Escar’e, but I wonder how many of these support Wigan from their arm chair watching a game on Sky or listening to Wish FM, and have never actually been to watch a Wigan game live. Their so called knowledge of which player should be more effective if he attended a game or two.
I have heard the rumour that after asking why he is not getting selected, and being given no answer by Lam, Escar’e told him where to go. It is pity Lam has not heeded to Escar’e’s suggestion!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

captinjack wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 pm Lets hit the nail on the head! Adrian lam has never been a coach of club side in a competitive League. Except for a couple of months with St George Illawara, he has never been an assistant coach in such a league. His claim to fame is being the coach of the under 20’s squad at St. George, a position he took over from Steve Price, (Wolves coach), who moved up to be assistant under Wayne Bennett. Of course we must not forget his role with Papua New Guinea squad; they get together maybe once or twice a year, which does not give him the level of experience to be the head coach of one of the most famous Rugby League clubs in the world, Wigan Warriors. Our club deserves, or should I say demands, a coach with a high standard of coaching, experience gained as assistant to a recognised head coach as Justin Holbrook did at Sydney Roosters under Trent Barrett. Lam has not got this and it shows.
Our squad, minus John Bateman, Ryan Sutton and Sam Tomkins, were crowned Champions of Super League in October 2018. Since that date our squad has deteriorated to less than a shadow of last year’s Champions. I am aware there on many on this site post that it is not Lam’s fault, siting our injuries and loss of Bateman, Suttons and Tomkins, but that does not excuse the way the rest of the squad play, as if they are not being given any coaching at all. They come on with a game plan, but as soon as something that is not in the plan happens, they lose all cohesion. The defence has gone to hell in a hand cart, which was something the Warriors prided themselves on, well not anymore! I know that the fitness level of our squad has become non-existent since Mark Bitcom left. I do not blame Lam for this, the blame for this has to be laid at the door of Mr Lenagan and Kris Radlinski.
Some on this site have conveniently forgotten when Shaun Wane was in charge the injuries he had to contend with which was as bad, if not more so than at present and he still managed to get a squad that played with pride in the shirt they wore. Many on here were glad when Shaun Wane left, all looking forward to the return of the sainted one, and a period of miraculous coaching, with Lam stepping in for one season. That ended well didn’t it with Edwards using Wigan to get a better deal from that other code, and Lam not able to provide what is needed. Be careful what you wish for!
As for Lam’s coaching competence that leaves a lot to be desired. His team selection for games leaves me, and many others, confused. He has one player who he will not pick, who can change the flow of a game. I have followed Wigan for 63 years and I think I am able to know a good player when I see one, and Morgan Escar’e is one of those players. Brought on at the right time in the game, when the defence of our opponents is tired, he will score and create trys I have read on this site that there are those who do not rate Escar’e, but I wonder how many of these support Wigan from their arm chair watching a game on Sky or listening to Wish FM, and have never actually been to watch a Wigan game live. Their so called knowledge of which player should be more effective if he attended a game or two.
I have heard the rumour that after asking why he is not getting selected, and being given no answer by Lam, Escar’e told him where to go. It is pity Lam has not heeded to Escar’e’s suggestion!
I agree with some of this not all

The two statement in bold id contest;
The first one - i get what you mean but Bateman alone was worth 6-12 points a game, considering most our losses have been tight i think he could of swung a few on his own. His impact cannot be underestimated he was an absolute machine so maybe the other players were always this poor but they now dont have Bateman et al to cover for them.

Second bold statement - Shaun Wane presided over the longest winless streak for 100 years and a lot of blame was placed on injuries. While Wane did tend to get the team firing towards the end of the season make no mistake a lot of the time the players looked uninterested during it and there were a lot of complaints. History books shouldn't be re-written - if you look at the last few seasons under Wane and compare it with this season they probably differ very little but as Lam hasn't got the trophies in the bank a lot more scrutiny - we "could" still win the league it just looks very unlikely
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 pm
captinjack wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 pm Lets hit the nail on the head! Adrian lam has never been a coach of club side in a competitive League. Except for a couple of months with St George Illawara, he has never been an assistant coach in such a league. His claim to fame is being the coach of the under 20’s squad at St. George, a position he took over from Steve Price, (Wolves coach), who moved up to be assistant under Wayne Bennett. Of course we must not forget his role with Papua New Guinea squad; they get together maybe once or twice a year, which does not give him the level of experience to be the head coach of one of the most famous Rugby League clubs in the world, Wigan Warriors. Our club deserves, or should I say demands, a coach with a high standard of coaching, experience gained as assistant to a recognised head coach as Justin Holbrook did at Sydney Roosters under Trent Barrett. Lam has not got this and it shows.
I agree with some of this not all

The two statement in bold id contest;
The first one - i get what you mean but Bateman alone was worth 6-12 points a game, considering most our losses have been tight i think he could of swung a few on his own. His impact cannot be underestimated he was an absolute machine so maybe the other players were always this poor but they now dont have Bateman et al to cover for them.

Second bold statement - Shaun Wane presided over the longest winless streak for 100 years and a lot of blame was placed on injuries. While Wane did tend to get the team firing towards the end of the season make no mistake a lot of the time the players looked uninterested during it and there were a lot of complaints. History books shouldn't be re-written - if you look at the last few seasons under Wane and compare it with this season they probably differ very little but as Lam hasn't got the trophies in the bank a lot more scrutiny - we "could" still win the league it just looks very unlikely
Our league finishes under Wane prove your point
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If the club have internally set expectations following Hardaker and/or Mullen, they do not have to follow the same punishment for Tautai.

They are fools if they haven't set expectations following the above as it means the players can continue.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:37 pm If the club have internally set expectations following Hardaker and/or Mullen, they do not have to follow the same punishment for Tautai.

They are fools if they haven't set expectations following the above as it means the players can continue.
You would have thought the club had something in place after the "Arse of Wigan" fiasco from the Tomkins became youtube lore

Has Craig Mullen been punished? Entire season at London Skolars and no contract offer tells you that he has.

Without prejudicing anything I suspect that Tautai will get treated exactly the same as Joel was and shipped out asap without ever playing for us again
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:07 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:37 pm If the club have internally set expectations following Hardaker and/or Mullen, they do not have to follow the same punishment for Tautai.

You would have thought the club had something in place after the "Arse of Wigan" fiasco from the Tomkins became youtube lore

Has Craig Mullen been punished? Entire season at London Skolars and no contract offer tells you that he has.

Without prejudicing anything I suspect that Tautai will get treated exactly the same as Joel was and shipped out asap without ever playing for us again
if they do sent Hardaker with them,should not be at the cub