What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Post by fozzieskem »

To me there’s little doubt the situation he put himself in (who in their right mind would come in for such a short period of time,I said time and again it was stupid by the club)has hampered him,he cane in with little expected of him just to keep turning the toast over till the golden child deigned the club with his presence.

It hasn’t worked at all,the club has gone backwards in my view yiu can’t keep blaming the 3 players who left,nor injuries other clubs have been hit worse than Wigan,yes we have a strange “put your hand in a bin full of names”transfer policy (I can’t think there’s much strategy behind it to be honest) and yea no Bitcon either but the sheer lack of cohesion in team play is frightening really and that is down to him.

I’m sure he will be coach next season though
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

AHH100 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm Don’t blame Rads. He has no say whatsoever in who leaves or who stays. He just does what he is told. I’m sure that if he could find something else with similar rewards he would be off. He may pass on an opinion but that’s as far as it goes. All real decisions come from IL.
I think you may be right. I've not been one for bashing Radders. It's the man pulling his strings I blame

Radders fixed up a contract for a rival teams first team player and the player was about to sign, but the signing was vetoed by IL and the deal scrapped. Would the player have been good signing? Who knows but the purse strings are being held VERY tightly by IL and I am getting sick of all the Facebook apologists complaining we are not real fans because we can see what is going on more than they can
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

What has to happen for Lam to succeed?

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
AHH100 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm Don’t blame Rads. He has no say whatsoever in who leaves or who stays. He just does what he is told. I’m sure that if he could find something else with similar rewards he would be off. He may pass on an opinion but that’s as far as it goes. All real decisions come from IL.
I think you may be right. I've not been one for bashing Radders. It's the man pulling his strings I blame

Radders fixed up a contract for a rival teams first team player and the player was about to sign, but the signing was vetoed by IL and the deal scrapped. Would the player have been good signing? Who knows but the purse strings are being held VERY tightly by IL and I am getting sick of all the Facebook apologists complaining we are not real fans because we can see what is going on more than they can
If Rads is in that position then his job must be miserable. He doesn’t look like someone who isn’t enjoying his job to me. Seems totally bought into the program.

If what he does is undermined by IL presumably he doesn’t agree with it and just think the wrong decisions are being made. So what is he doing? Clinging on until the proverbial hits the fan? What happens when it does? The coach gets sacked? Then things carry on with God knows who as coach?

If he is just IL’s lackey he’s part of the problem.

As to what has to happen for Lam to succeed, several things. The team needs to stay fit and have a bit more luck with injuries. That is possibly the only thing not within the control of the club though that might mean trying to find a real replacement for Bitcon.

The rest are more directly addressable issues. The club needs to address the obvious weaknesses in the side. This means replacing several players which of course is hard to do in one go but it’s the clubs fault it has got to this stage.

To be able to do this when it does become possible the club needs to be able to spend. So it needs IL to pull his finger out and secure better sponsorship if he can’t afford to bankroll the spending.

It needs Lam to prove he can actually coach. That is not something that has happened so far and while there are excuses to be made we should expect better organisation then we have seen.

Finally the players themselves need to buck their ideas up. Even junior players have been playing the game for quite a few years and will have taught the basics of how to organise a defensive line but you could have fooled me. This requires the so called leadership team to do some on field leading. We don’t seem to have any of that even when Lockers is on the pitch. I suppose you could say this general on-pitch cluelessness is an issue the coach needs to address but the players need to take some responsibility as well.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whilst I sympathise with Lams position (succeeding Wane, 1 year stop gap for Edwards, poor recruitment, good players departed, injury record).

I haven’t seen enough from our forwards nor have a seen any of this attacking flair he promised.

Whilst I know he may not have the players to execute, he at least has the team to make strides and unfortunately for me he hasn’t.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Having watched the highlights on Wigan tv it makes Wigan looks good after listening to the commentary .It is obvious that the seasoned players are not playing to their potential Smithies was the player geeing them up we have no leaders on the pitch .Two injuries reduced the substitution as for the dropped ball that is down to the players and not the coach we have seen potential with the game against Catalan when the team was read out who gave them a chance against Castleford away we were the better team until the injuries against Warrington in the cup we could have won that .Injuries have taken the toll on the team and some of the team selection IMHO has not been right what is needed is a settled side and results should come .The coaching situation should be resolved ASAP not saying we should sack Lam he was supposed to be here short term until Edwards came .Posters are saying we should sack Lam but in the same instance saying that the players we have are not good enough sacking Lam now will not resolve anything the best coach in the world would not get results with the current players .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The problem with Lam is no one knows if he is any good at coaching or not.

Replacing him with proven coach ought to remove that variable.

At the moment it’s not clear who isn’t good enough, the players, the coach or both.

Despite the injuries and weaker squad we ought to be going better than we are so if IL decides the injury situation and other factors are enough to give Lam the benefit of the doubt that is a huge gamble.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

AHH100 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm Don’t blame Rads. He has no say whatsoever in who leaves or who stays. He just does what he is told. All real decisions come from IL.
Radlinski is an executive director and the rugby general manager. He does have a say in who leaves and stays. If he can't think and make decisions for himself in these roles then he is part of the problem and doing the club and himself a disservice.
IMO
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm The problem with Lam is no one knows if he is any good at coaching or not.

Replacing him with proven coach ought to remove that variable.

At the moment it’s not clear who isn’t good enough, the players, the coach or both.

Despite the injuries and weaker squad we ought to be going better than we are so if IL decides the injury situation and other factors are enough to give Lam the benefit of the doubt that is a huge gamble.
Despite the poor squad and injuries, he has more than enough time to at least have some influence on the team. I have seen nothing so far from the team that shows this.

It could even be simple forward play around the ruck, safe handling, kicking for possession and playing out a patient game to grind out the results.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well given the news about TT and drink driving I think we can add to the list a commitment from the entire team to give up the booze until the end of the season.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:01 pm Well given the news about TT and drink driving I think we can add to the list a commitment from the entire team to give up the booze until the end of the season.
There should be a season long ban on booze with heavy fines, Breathalyze every player every day before training, They are proffessional sportsmen ffs, Doubt it would cost must once they bought a couple of machines