Wigan step up chase to sign Jackson Hastings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: Wigan step up chase to sign Jackson Hastings

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 pm Contracts seem to be worth so little these days that frankly I'd be glad to get Hastings for a season. Worry about the next season when it arrives.
Don’t dare start talking sense on here, it’s against the rules.😳😳
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I'd take him for a season, however behind our pack and with Leuluai/Powell at hooker I wonder just how effective he can be.

Fingers crossed we have more signings on the way.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Danny Orr written all over him :shock:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pm Danny Orr written all over him :shock:
?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Leeds are obviously interested in a new half back and so have obviously considered Hastings but from the sound of it they aren’t prepared to sign a player who can leave when he feels like it.

For them to pass on Hastings for that reason tells you that whoever they do sign they expect them to honour their contract and are confident they can ensure that happens.

It says when faced with the prospect of having to agree to such a clause they would sooner look elsewhere which also says they have the ability to do so.

It says the exact opposite about IL and Rads. They will present it as the only way to get him here. That it is pragmatic and we can have a star we would otherwise not get.

What is really says is they have no idea how to go and find a half back who sees coming to Wigan as the destination, a place they want to be not because they want to go somewhere else and not a stepping stone to the NRL.

If this article is right the pair of them are quite simply useless. It’s one thing to lose players you developed when they get good but to be signing players you expect to lose is even worse.

It’s just more of the same rubbish we have seen already in that it positively encourages players to think they can leave. Leeds on the other hand want to sign players who are coming to see their deals out.
pedro

Post by pedro »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:00 pm I wish the club would f*** right off with this NRL get out clause for everyone!!! Can’t build a team when You promise them a year!

David vaealiki never had such a clause!

Edited language 😊 - Josie
thats his policy, it was on the radio the other day. We will let anybody leave for the NRL or RU as we believe they will return to the club in the future.....
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:55 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm Tommy Leuluai’s future is also uncertain, though recent developments suggest he will extend his playing career into 2020.

http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-step-up-ch ... -hastings/
That's all you need to know about our recruitment for next season
Wigan will not get Hastings - it's a false claim. Comes to something when the great and mighty Salford can sign players like him ahead of us though

The headline I have re-quoted tells you the line of thinking at Wigan. Lockers and LuLu will sign on for another year to play alongside Clubb.

Wigan's back-up half signing is Chris Atkin from HKR. This is all just spin from the club that they "tried their best to sign him but he decided to return home" crap
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pm Danny Orr written all over him :shock:
?
Big fish small pond, When Orr came to us he was nowhere near as good as he was at Cas, I'm wondering if Hastings is the same but a huge amount of fans have convinced themselves that he will deliver us to the promised land, I hope they don't get too upset when it doesn't happen or he leaves after a season that's if he does sign, Hope i'm wrong but in the words of Han Solo I've got a bad feeling about this
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm Leeds are obviously interested in a new half back and so have obviously considered Hastings but from the sound of it they aren’t prepared to sign a player who can leave when he feels like it.

For them to pass on Hastings for that reason tells you that whoever they do sign they expect them to honour their contract and are confident they can ensure that happens.

It says when faced with the prospect of having to agree to such a clause they would sooner look elsewhere which also says they have the ability to do so.

It says the exact opposite about IL and Rads. They will present it as the only way to get him here. That it is pragmatic and we can have a star we would otherwise not get.

What is really says is they have no idea how to go and find a half back who sees coming to Wigan as the destination, a place they want to be not because they want to go somewhere else and not a stepping stone to the NRL.

If this article is right the pair of them are quite simply useless. It’s one thing to lose players you developed when they get good but to be signing players you expect to lose is even worse.

It’s just more of the same rubbish we have seen already in that it positively encourages players to think they can leave. Leeds on the other hand want to sign players who are coming to see their deals out.
Well we'll see if Leeds sign a half who 'wants to play for them'.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

You know I seem to remember, on another thread, people moaning about how Wigan never seem to get players when there's competition for their signature. Well it seems the club are exploring a way to beat Leeds and others to Hastings and still people moan that it's not good enough. Now giving him an NRL get-out clause is not ideal, but like I say I'll take someone of his quality for a year, he's an improvement on what we have.

I've given Lenegan and Rads a lot of stick recently (all of which I feel has been completely deserved given the events of the last year or so) but I feel like some people just want to look for ways to criticise them no matter what. Let's see how this plays out.