Wigan step up chase to sign Jackson Hastings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan step up chase to sign Jackson Hastings

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm Leeds are obviously interested in a new half back and so have obviously considered Hastings but from the sound of it they aren’t prepared to sign a player who can leave when he feels like it.

For them to pass on Hastings for that reason tells you that whoever they do sign they expect them to honour their contract and are confident they can ensure that happens.

It says when faced with the prospect of having to agree to such a clause they would sooner look elsewhere which also says they have the ability to do so.

It says the exact opposite about IL and Rads. They will present it as the only way to get him here. That it is pragmatic and we can have a star we would otherwise not get.

What is really says is they have no idea how to go and find a half back who sees coming to Wigan as the destination, a place they want to be not because they want to go somewhere else and not a stepping stone to the NRL.

If this article is right the pair of them are quite simply useless. It’s one thing to lose players you developed when they get good but to be signing players you expect to lose is even worse.

It’s just more of the same rubbish we have seen already in that it positively encourages players to think they can leave. Leeds on the other hand want to sign players who are coming to see their deals out.
Yes the mighty leeds.... they are so forward thinking that they never just take other team cast offs....

What happened to that hooker they brought in again? Did all that fuss about him breaking a contract do much in the end?

How did they end up with Myler again?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:35 am
DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm Leeds are obviously interested in a new half back and so have obviously considered Hastings but from the sound of it they aren’t prepared to sign a player who can leave when he feels like it.

For them to pass on Hastings for that reason tells you that whoever they do sign they expect them to honour their contract and are confident they can ensure that happens.

It says when faced with the prospect of having to agree to such a clause they would sooner look elsewhere which also says they have the ability to do so.

It says the exact opposite about IL and Rads. They will present it as the only way to get him here. That it is pragmatic and we can have a star we would otherwise not get.

What is really says is they have no idea how to go and find a half back who sees coming to Wigan as the destination, a place they want to be not because they want to go somewhere else and not a stepping stone to the NRL.

If this article is right the pair of them are quite simply useless. It’s one thing to lose players you developed when they get good but to be signing players you expect to lose is even worse.

It’s just more of the same rubbish we have seen already in that it positively encourages players to think they can leave. Leeds on the other hand want to sign players who are coming to see their deals out.
Yes the mighty leeds.... they are so forward thinking that they never just take other team cast offs....

What happened to that hooker they brought in again? Did all that fuss about him breaking a contract do much in the end?

Admittedly Leeds didnt forward plan enough but on the flip side lets not pretend they've had retention issues because of segyaro(spelling) which was a rare non committal for them. Theyve had plenty of top quality sort after players that never went looking elsewhere.

They've not always struck gold with signings, in fact they've signed some right duds however they always try their best. Myler wasn't a cast off he was quite a sort after halfback and would still be if he were to come available, he may not be top top draw but when our signed half back was sammut i dont think we can be too gloaty
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Woody1989 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 am You know I seem to remember, on another thread, people moaning about how Wigan never seem to get players when there's competition for their signature. Well it seems the club are exploring a way to beat Leeds and others to Hastings and still people moan that it's not good enough. Now giving him an NRL get-out clause is not ideal, but like I say I'll take someone of his quality for a year, he's an improvement on what we have.

I've given Lenegan and Rads a lot of stick recently (all of which I feel has been completely deserved given the events of the last year or so) but I feel like some people just want to look for ways to criticise them no matter what. Let's see how this plays out.
I would agree with your comment if signing a top player and keeping a player were mutually exclusive concepts but they simply arent. I think the minimum you need a player for is 2 years unless they are truely elite like Cherry Evans or Cronk then yes absolutely give them a one year deal, give them anything they want!.

Hastings is a very good player but you could probably find 5-6 similar quality in the NRL who may be looking for a longer term deal.

I think this comes back to our recruitment basically if a player isn't given up by another superleague team or in the press we don't know about them or dont seem interested
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Woody1989 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 am You know I seem to remember, on another thread, people moaning about how Wigan never seem to get players when there's competition for their signature. Well it seems the club are exploring a way to beat Leeds and others to Hastings and still people moan that it's not good enough. Now giving him an NRL get-out clause is not ideal, but like I say I'll take someone of his quality for a year, he's an improvement on what we have.

I've given Lenegan and Rads a lot of stick recently (all of which I feel has been completely deserved given the events of the last year or so) but I feel like some people just want to look for ways to criticise them no matter what. Let's see how this plays out.
It isn't sustainable to build a team with this attitude though. It is the type of things the lower level clubs do as they have no other choice.

How can the club build a team and manage youngsters coming through, developing existing squad, signing new players, factoring in aging players etc with these type of contracts. It has already bitten us a number of times as so many players have left us in their or close to their prime. We shouldn't be actively putting people in the shop window and acting as a stepping stone to the NRL. Whilst it says a lot about our players and development, its countered by losing our best players and keep having to replace them. Its finally come around and bitten us in the arse bigger than ever.

Wasn't IL quoted a few years ago as saying our business model is to develop youth and allow them to make a chance in the NRL (For a FEE) and then the door is always open for them to come back as better players?

1 - None have arguably come back as better players
2 - It makes planning teams and building teams impossible and isn't sustainable
3 - Alludes me to think its all about £££
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:35 am

Admittedly Leeds didnt forward plan enough but on the flip side lets not pretend they've had retention issues because of segyaro(spelling) which was a rare non committal for them. Theyve had plenty of top quality sort after players that never went looking elsewhere.

They've not always struck gold with signings, in fact they've signed some right duds however they always try their best. Myler wasn't a cast off he was quite a sort after halfback and would still be if he were to come available, he may not be top top draw but when our signed half back was sammut i dont think we can be too gloaty
Exactly and when Leeds do sign a player the intention is to keep them to their contract. I can’t ever remember them signing a new player like Hastings and at the same time effectively advertising him to the NRL.

Like any club some of their signings won’t work out but that isn’t the intention.

For anyone to suggest their failure with the hooker is relevant is ridiculous and ignores all the players who have gone to Leeds and seen their contracts out and totally ignores the fact they do not have this idiotic policy of when a player is signed telling him he can leave whenever he likes.

If this is the club policy under IL th sooner he is no longer the owner the better. The policy of they might come back has failed and if you keep doing things that fail it’s time to move on.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

What was the last fee we received from the NRL? Tomkins?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought it was Bateman, didn't he have a year left on his deal when he departed?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

£140,00 for Bateman