Who should play fullback v Leeds?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.

Who should play fullback v Leeds

Poll ended at Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Morgan
29%
Escaré
29%
Morgan Escaré
43%

Total votes: 7

nathan_rugby

Re: Who should play fullback v Leeds?

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm Defending at full back feels very different to defending in the centres. In the centres it is so much about position and balance, being aware but not over aware of the players inside and outside you. Make sure you can count and line up your man on your outside shoulder, and you won’t go far wrong.
As opposed to full back where you have an entire pitch to cover. You should be able to channel a single runner so that they go round you one side or the other, if it’s 2 then make sure you get at least one of them, and sometimes (as with centre) you just have to take someone head on. In any case, at 1 you have to anticipate every break everywhere, and work out how close to the line you need to be, especially as you have to cover kicks as well (and tell everyone who is in front of you what you think is happening).
Once you get within striking distance of a player the skills are pretty similar, but the options and processes to get there are pretty different. For what it’s worth, I think that it is harder to learn to be a good centre as so much of what you have to do feels unnatural - straight lines and holding your nerve especially.
Great post and clearly articulated what I was getting at.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I’ll tell you what !! After Reading the last few posts it’s simple !!!! Exiled for coach and Nathan in the 17 . Play offs no problem. 😉😉😉
pedro

Post by pedro »

I played fullback, wing and centre and centre felt very similar to fullback. so much comes through the channel its like being the last man in all shapes and sizes. You still just have to hit your man and try hit him hard, fast and low which negates the offload
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pedro wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm I played fullback, wing and centre and centre felt very similar to fullback. so much comes through the channel its like being the last man in all shapes and sizes. You still just have to hit your man and try hit him hard, fast and low which negates the offload
At centre you defend your outside shoulder, as long as you have a good sliding defence and confidence in your defence, you shouldn't have to worry about an attacker stepping inside because the man in will be defending his outside shoulder...

At Fullback and when a player breaks through the middle or down the wing, no such occurance happens because its 1 v 1. The FB needs to time his running and tackling to perfection to ensure a step isn't possible.

I do agree that tackling at Centre is very difficult to master due to sliding defence and often out numbered but to say the defence of a Centre and Full back is very similar isn't true.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm
pedro wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm I played fullback, wing and centre and centre felt very similar to fullback. so much comes through the channel its like being the last man in all shapes and sizes. You still just have to hit your man and try hit him hard, fast and low which negates the offload
At centre you defend your outside shoulder, as long as you have a good sliding defence and confidence in your defence, you shouldn't have to worry about an attacker stepping inside because the man in will be defending his outside shoulder...

At Fullback and when a player breaks through the middle or down the wing, no such occurance happens because its 1 v 1. The FB needs to time his running and tackling to perfection to ensure a step isn't possible.

I do agree that tackling at Centre is very difficult to master due to sliding defence and often out numbered but to say the defence of a Centre and Full back is very similar isn't true.
but its like centre as you make them run at your outside shoulder due to positioning and the line you offer them and closing down the space, you can stepped at both centre and fullback but you can reduce it with positioning and body stance