Leeds V Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Leeds V Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:34 am Bloody hell, we won that was all that counts. We are a poor team but Leeds are worse.
I said more or less the same, that "this is the worst Leeds team we will ever play, & Wigan are probably the worse team they will play"!

Disagree with the team selection & the bench spot wasted on Sammut not being selected.

Keep Hankie at right centre & give him the kicking duties over Zak when he returns. That was 100% completion from Chris, can't say Zak has done that for us this season & it's what could have made a difference in some losses.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Kendall's creeping in to my suspisious list anall, wasn't impressed tonight or at magic ,the rules apply to both teams.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Thought our attack was all over the place, can’t fault the defence especially in the second half. Not a fan of Hank’s but thought he handled hurrell very well. Couldn’t stop laughing when Clubb broke through and scored, I had just been talking to my mate saying how bad he was.
Like it been said, two poor teams on show that night.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

We still had five or so first choices out tonight. Even with them fit I'm.not sure what our best line up is and how we accommodate them.
Flower Manfredi Greenwood Zak all start for me if fit. Davies on right would be first choice replacement for Dom. Bench spot Hamlin injuries T gets in.
It's strange even though we seem so poor I really dont think the rest are that much better. If we can somehow get the right combination with the limits the squad has I still think we can cause problems for any team.
Hank is knocking loudly for a starring role his kicking and his strong takling technique along with him being comfortable on the right are now real pluses on his side.
I think Lam got the team right tonight.
Hindsight another forward instead of Sammut but obvious why he was there and didn't play. Lulu and Hank dealt with Hurrell very well. He was kept to one half break and a couple of penalties. If on the other hand we was chasing the game Samutt would have been on.
Going forward he would still start 7 for me or at least get a run of games.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Summed up nicely by a Wigan fan crossing the narrow railway bridge at the back of the ground: he was chanting "And we thought we were s**t"!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I've kind of written off this season whatever happens over the next few weeks but I was pleased that we beat a really unpleasant Leeds side. It comes to something when Ferres isn't even the nastiest player on view. I really liked the fact that Smithies wasn't having any of the spoiling tactics and reacted in the proper way, even getting a penalty. Merrin looks like the new Westwood (apart from the bus pass) with his niggling and sly punches on the blind side of the ref.
Pleased for Hankinson and although Sarginson didn't put a foot wrong, he didn't really use the chance to be creative from FB.
This will enrage some posters but next season I hope that Farrell and Hankinson will be the second-rowers and Greenwood the loose forward to replace SOL because it does look as if this is a season too far for someone who has been a a real hero for the team. Hardaker and Hastings (?) in the halves Bibby and Gildart in the centres.
And apologies for suggesting that we should have bought Myler. He was good at Cats but truly dreadful last night and I know our wingers may not get much ball but how does Briscoe feel at Leeds?
We might just have the makings of a decent team in the future but some tactics and coaching wouldn't go amiss next season.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am I've kind of written off this season whatever happens over the next few weeks but I was pleased that we beat a really unpleasant Leeds side. It comes to something when Ferres isn't even the nastiest player on view. I really liked the fact that Smithies wasn't having any of the spoiling tactics and reacted in the proper way, even getting a penalty. Merrin looks like the new Westwood (apart from the bus pass) with his niggling and sly punches on the blind side of the ref.
Pleased for Hankinson and although Sarginson didn't put a foot wrong, he didn't really use the chance to be creative from FB.
This will enrage some posters but next season I hope that Farrell and Hankinson will be the second-rowers and Greenwood the loose forward to replace SOL because it does look as if this is a season too far for someone who has been a a real hero for the team. Hardaker and Hastings (?) in the halves Bibby and Gildart in the centres.
And apologies for suggesting that we should have bought Myler. He was good at Cats but truly dreadful last night and I know our wingers may not get much ball but how does Briscoe feel at Leeds?
We might just have the makings of a decent team in the future but some tactics and coaching wouldn't go amiss next season.
Nice summary Southern!
As Joe Mills said on Wish FM "We beat dirty, cheating nasty Leeds, personified by Bret Ferres". Plus others.
Invaluable points. Lets hope we carry this forward to Hudds then I'll start smiling a bit more.
TC's 'try' really rubbed in big time!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 pm
Firestarter wrote:Despite all his knockers i think clubby has done really well last two games
Well his “try” was really funny (in a good way). He probably doubled his seasons meters with that ;)
I thought he lost the ball to be honest davo lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was really pleased for a range of reasons:
- we beat Leeds
- we won away
- Hankinson was superb in all departments
- Smithies and Partington are the future
- Sarg reminded us that he is a good full back (look again at his GF performance there)
- I like Clubb, in part because he put his hand up to play so soon after having a kidney removed. Within his limitations, he gives everything
- for the first time since the first half against Cas is looked as if we actually had a plan
- Greenwood and Hardaker will make us stronger next week, and with some momentum I can now see us beating the Giants
- if we do, then suddenly, unbelievably, we will be in with a shout of the play offs

We have always had a squad good enough to beat anyone, which makes Lam’s failure thus far to get much out of the team hugely frustrating. I have been pleasantly surprised by the resilience and guts we have shown these last 2 games, as, frankly, I was disgusted by our many surrenders this year.

My concern is that this may lead to Lam keeping the job, when he really has shown nothing to justify that.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Great to get another win but I couldn't believe how bad Leeds were (and they'd won two on the bounce). They did everything they could not to beat us last night and it's just as well for them that they beat London. It'll be interesting to see how we cope with Huddersfield after they were hammered by the best side in the league. At the moment we're beating very poor teams but at least we're winning. I don't think we're making much progress but Hanky's kicking raises a few questions/options. e.g. is his kicking sufficient for him to keep his place when Zak is back and Sarge is available at centre?