Hankinson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Hankinson

Post by Nezza Faz »

Mickw wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 am
Mickw wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:45 am Comparing him to frano after one game jeez no pressure.
For the avoidance of doubt I am NOT comparing him to Frano.

I am making two points:

1. The precedent has been set for a goalkicker to be included in the team where he perhaps otherwise would not have been picked.

2. IF his goalkicking is anywhere near Frano's standard, then he should walk into this (very mediocre) Wigan team.
Frano was a better player than many gave him credit for being,
if Hankinson can make the grade then great but he needs to improve to be a regular and that's in this seasons team.

IMO yes, Frano became a top player and an important cog in that star studded side, not just for his goal kicking ?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Agreed, Frano WAS a good player, however, it's doubtful that he would have been in that side were it not for his kicking.

He would be the first to argue that.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Over Wanes time at Wigan it did not seam to bother them that they did not have a half decent kicker in the time .And Fridays game proved how important they can be.Why Cats are are still using ST as kicker is beyond me
Mary from Wigan

Post by Mary from Wigan »

How many games have we lost this season due to missed kicks and what position would we have been in now?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I've always argued that a good (great) goalkicker is worth his place in the team provided he is half decent defensively.

Given a goal is 50% of a try it's obvious to me that someone who can kick 80% + of goals from within the opponents half, is just a points machine.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

That’s why we should go all out for Jarrod croker.
Let’s take one of Canberras top players, they takes ares!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 am That’s why we should go all out for Jarrod croker.
Ares what??

I'm sure you must mean OURS
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 am
Barney841 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 am That’s why we should go all out for Jarrod croker.
Ares what??

I'm sure you must mean OURS
That’s it. Brains half asleep
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm Agreed, Frano WAS a good player, however, it's doubtful that he would have been in that side were it not for his kicking.

He would be the first to argue that.
He decided to go for the goal kicking in order to help secure a place when he first arrived. John Monie didn't understand why he'd been signed when Phil Blake was available. As a stand off he had no chance of shifting the incumbents at the time of his arrival and as a result he started on the wing and his goal kicking helped him keep the place. But that was only for the first part of his career.

As other players left he ended up as the stand off not because he could kick but because he could play stand off. He had the position on merit not because he was a goal kicker.