Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson set for move to Super League rivals

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson set for move to Super League rivals

Post by josie andrews »

Dan Sarginson looks on course to join Salford next season.

The centre is out of contract at Wigan later this year.

He admitted last month he was exploring his options and it now appears he will be heading to the Red Devils.

But fans should not expect confirmation any time soon after Salford director of rugby Ian Blease took aim at clubs parading their future recruits despite them being under contract with his club until the end of this season.

Jake Bibby posed with a Wigan scarf and his Red Devils team-mate Josh Jones was pictured wearing a Hull FC shirt when his capture for 2020 was confirmed.

Blease told today's League Weekly they should have shown more respect.

"I'm not sure it's in the best taste," he told the newspaper. "I understand people can go for our players but I think they should have a bit more class.

I would expect the player to have a bit more respect for their current employer as well."

Blease also admitted he had two signings "over the line" - one thought to be Sarginson.

The 26-year-old initially joined Wigan from London in 2014 and went on to become an England international before leaving at the end of 2016 for the Gold Coast Titans.

After one season in the NRL disrupted by injury, he returned to the Warriors last year to replace Anthony Gelling.

The revelation of his next move comes at a time when he is in great form.

Adrian Lam labelled him the "best player on the park" at Hull KR and he backed that up with a strong display, starting at full-back, in a 23-14 victory at Leeds last Friday.

Nick Powell
Nick Powell decision will shape Wigan Athletic summer outlook
As well as recruiting ex-Orrell St James amateur Bibby, 23, Wigan have Chris Hankinson tied up for next season.

And he underlined his credentials with a starring performance at Headingley last Friday which included five goals from as many attempts.

The Warriors have also signed Castleford's Mitch Clark for 2020 and are hoping to win the race to Jackson Hastings' signature as a replacement for George Williams, whose move to Canberra has yet to be confirmed by either party.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9825186
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PF Warrior

Re: Wigan Warriors' Dan Sarginson set for move to Super League rivals

Post by PF Warrior »

Who will Lam use as his standin fullback if Zak is not fit. Is Lam going to have swallow the shame pill and play Morgan Escar'e.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

What is the obsession with Escare?

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 am What is the obsession with Escare?
God alone knows
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 am What is the obsession with Escare?
Sick of asking the same question Dave.
As I said on another thread, judging by some of the comments on here, you would think he's the second coming of Billy Slater.
Baffling.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I wasn't pleased when we brought in Escare but he surprised me with the quality of his play and kind of won me over. He gave us a touch of freshness when introduced with speed and improvisation. He's neither the messiah nor a naughty boy, just a very decent player who has rarely let us down when he's played. Like every player, he has good games and bad games and makes errors but he has had more good games for us then bad.
However, if the coach has decided that he won't play Escare under any circumstances and will shoehorn other players into playing positions that don't suit them in order to leave Escare out, then it's pointless him being here. It's bad for the player's career and bad for the club to have someone on the wage bill who will never play.
I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes but at the moment, it's the coach who is coming out of the situation looking worse.
Time for the club to make a decision one way or another.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

For what it's worth, Escare was outstanding for us in the end of season play-offs and run in to the Grand Final, when we won our last dozen or so matches, in virtual knock out scenarios.
it wasn't just his switching with Sam either, because Sam was out injured for a number of those matches.
He's not the best in the world, nor anything like the worst but every time gives his all and has the x-factor which can determine a match.
I can't think of any game where he's actually cost us ! Just needs a fair chance, whether here or elsewhere, which he hasn't really had in 2019.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Regarding Salford not unveiling their two new signings and parading them (one of which may be Sarge) out of respect for their current clubs, while I admire the sentiment when every man and his dog knows what is happening it becomes counterproductive.

Salford only need to look on this and the rlfans forum to see the frustration it generates in fans when everyone knows a player is moving on but no one is saying officially. For us it is currently, is Williams off to Canberra and has Hastings signed or not?

Of course at Wigan there was a time when if we were told new signings were on the way we'd be genuinely excited to see who it was going to be because whoever it was would at least be classed as a good capture so it didn't really matter as the outcome was going to be positive. Now we are reduced to hoping for the best :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 am For what it's worth, Escare was outstanding for us in the end of season play-offs and run in to the Grand Final, when we won our last dozen or so matches, in virtual knock out scenarios.
it wasn't just his switching with Sam either, because Sam was out injured for a number of those matches.
He's not the best in the world, nor anything like the worst but every time gives his all and has the x-factor which can determine a match.
I can't think of any game where he's actually cost us ! Just needs a fair chance, whether here or elsewhere, which he hasn't really had in 2019.
This is my view as well and its amazing how quickly what the none star players do for us is forgotten.

Its was Faz early but you only have to watch the leeds match to see his importance.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 am I wasn't pleased when we brought in Escare but he surprised me with the quality of his play and kind of won me over. He gave us a touch of freshness when introduced with speed and improvisation. He's neither the messiah nor a naughty boy, just a very decent player who has rarely let us down when he's played. Like every player, he has good games and bad games and makes errors but he has had more good games for us then bad.
However, if the coach has decided that he won't play Escare under any circumstances and will shoehorn other players into playing positions that don't suit them in order to leave Escare out, then it's pointless him being here. It's bad for the player's career and bad for the club to have someone on the wage bill who will never play.
I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes but at the moment, it's the coach who is coming out of the situation looking worse.
Time for the club to make a decision one way or another.
Well said .