Huddersfield v WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevethegas

Re: Huddersfield v WIGAN

Post by stevethegas »

It was a good night to be a Wigan supporter. Great craic.
Good atmosphere at our end of the ground and great fun watching us actually play some rugby.
We actually played well, and Hanky's goalkicking has been a revelation, I make it 10 from 11 of which at least 4 were difficult kicks. So well done.
We looked like a team on the up. About time! It's been a while coming.

We had a couple of players, one from each team, sin binned at the end of the game. Isa looked really upset, but I don't know what happened or why there was a "disagreement". Can anyone shed any light on what happened?
Stevethegas
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

From what I heard with Isa he was irate with the ref and was seeing red... Prof Brooke’s had to get him away according to bbc Manc
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Isa acted as peacemaker pulled their guy away and got binned for it that's why.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

So what did happen with Isa?

Big ban coming or nothing in it?
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Regardless of potential injustice or what occurred in the incident, you cannot react to a Yellow Card in so much steaming rage that you aim up walking towards any match official, let alone an inexperienced one in a manner which came across as though he was going lamp him one. That's how I saw it and it was right in front of me. He had to be stopped from getting in the referees face by Dr Brookes rushing onto the field. I get passions can be high but the body language in that incident was not pretty and I said on radio that he should have been red carded for it. I might have a bit of sympathy had the ref struggled but I thought he did well.

As it's turned out, no suspensions from the incident.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Brings into question a game already won why tempers flared up as they did. Poor from Isa but in the heat of the moment anything happens.

He’s usually a calm player
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Flash

Post by Flash »

Bilko wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:44 pm Regardless of potential injustice or what occurred in the incident, you cannot react to a Yellow Card in so much steaming rage that you aim up walking towards any match official, let alone an inexperienced one in a manner which came across as though he was going lamp him one. That's how I saw it and it was right in front of me. He had to be stopped from getting in the referees face by Dr Brookes rushing onto the field. I get passions can be high but the body language in that incident was not pretty and I said on radio that he should have been red carded for it. I might have a bit of sympathy had the ref struggled but I thought he did well.

As it's turned out, no suspensions from the incident.
Mate, I respect that people are entitled to different opinions but this is the biggest overreaction I've seen in a long time. I watched it on Wigan TV last night and I thought your commentary was from a different game it was so far over the top. There was nothing in it. It wasn't even clear who Isa was saying something to. He's nowhere near the referee who doesn't react at all! As for the 'holding back' comment, he does no such thing. He was already coming on to the pitch and simply leads Isa down the tunnel. I suggest you watch the incident again along with your commentary. I think you'll be embarrassed. An absolute non-event.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

The video footage is at the reverse angle to the one I had at the time and on the opposite side of the field so you therefore cannot see the rage he had. I can see from the footage available why you think it was a non event. I was commentating from the far side with it right in front of me and gave an honest opinion at the time. I didn't think it was pretty or fair towards the referee and one of the staff didn't go on to the field to get him off for no reason. If you still think I've overreacted though, fair enough.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Bilko wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm The video footage is at the reverse angle to the one I had at the time and on the opposite side of the field so you therefore cannot see the rage he had. I can see from the footage available why you think it was a non event. I was commentating from the far side with it right in front of me and gave an honest opinion at the time. I didn't think it was pretty or fair towards the referee and one of the staff didn't go on to the field to get him off for no reason. If you still think I've overreacted though, fair enough.
Fair comment mate. I have a lot of respect for you and enjoy your commentaries but felt this wasn't your usual even handed approach.

Given that the ref penalised Huddersfield not once, but twice, for dissent at the same incident suggests that whatever Isa said (even if we assume it was directed at the ref in the first place) was nowhere near as bad as what the Huddersfield players aimed at him. Subsequent events, such as the fact that the ref took no action, either on the day or in his report and that the RFL (not exactly known for seeing things Wigan's way in recent months) haven't cited him, would support this.

All that said I understand you had a different viewpoint on the day and appreciate you were reacting to what you thought was happening.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bilko wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm The video footage is at the reverse angle to the one I had at the time and on the opposite side of the field so you therefore cannot see the rage he had. I can see from the footage available why you think it was a non event. I was commentating from the far side with it right in front of me and gave an honest opinion at the time. I didn't think it was pretty or fair towards the referee and one of the staff didn't go on to the field to get him off for no reason. If you still think I've overreacted though, fair enough.
to be fair pal people love listening to you 2 so we can just leave it there :) (now the moose has left as I wanted to knock him out everytime he did that noise)