Huddersfield v WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Huddersfield v WIGAN

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hankinson looked solid in defence tonight. Towards the end of the game he put an absolute bell ringer of a tackle in. The Hudds guy played the ball, just, then went down again.
Anyone else notice we've started scoring tries down our right side attack?

Overall I thought we played a faster handling game than usual. We also came up with offloads which brought us at least one try. A good all round game until the last 10. Whether that was due to 5 of our senior players being off the field or the lads had called it a day at 12-38 I don't know. As far as I could reckon Lockers played through to about 65-70 mins.

Well done to all for a win in what we all thought would be a tricky game.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Ok we are getting the wins but when will they play for the full 80 just been over to Wigan site and TL is saying the same
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Watched the tries this morning........ hanky looked decent and two great assists.........there tall winger looks decent, he left budgie for dead
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Looking at highlites on Sky, speed and accuracy of passing looked good. Need to watch full game on Wigan TV now.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Great win tonight , and will probably get Lam the job unfortunately, especially if we beat Salford. Burgess had a nightmare of a game out of position for at least 3 of their tries. Oloughlin's best game for ages. Pity about last 10 minutes. Hankinson needs to play if only for his goalkicking which has been a real find. Still think Lam got away with it, he plays Clubb who could not even run properly in the warm up and the amount of strapping he had on was ridiculous along with Marshall, and it was no surprise Clubb did not last the game and did nothing the time he was on the field. How this guy has got another 2 years is beyond me, especially when we let the likes of Paisley go. Bullock looked ok in the warm up but was not even on the bench in fact we did not have any back up props, if the Huddersfield's pack had been any good we could have come unstuck. But a wins a win and we are now starting to look up the table instead of the bottom., roll onto Salford and can we please sign Hastings and Lui after the game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Keep building: O'Loughlin

Sean O’Loughlin reflects on Wigan Warriors’ 36-28 win over Huddersfield Giants.

36-year-old captain scores one of Wigan’s six tries at the John Smith’s Stadium on Friday night.

O’Loughlin: “From our point of view, it’s about taking each game as they come. We want to win as many as we can now.”

Sean O’Loughlin has stated there is more to come from Wigan Warriors after his side made it three consecutive away wins on Friday night.

A 36-28 victory over Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium came after wins against Hull KR and Leeds Rhinos that have seen Wigan move up to sixth in the Betfred Super League table.

O’Loughlin said: “We have to keep building on that momentum. We still feel there is a lot more in us and there’s improvement in us. We’re in a good position and slowly climbing the table.

“From our point of view, it’s about taking each game as they come. We want to win as many as we can now.

“The start of the season wasn’t fantastic for us but going if we can keep building on performances and pick up the points each week, the table will look after itself.”

Three tries in either half saw the Warriors comfortably take the win in West Yorkshire, but two Huddersfield tries in the last ten minutes reminded O’Loughlin and his teammates there is improvement to be had.

“We built on last week’s performance and things are heading in the right direction.

“We would have liked to have conceded less tries than we did towards the end, but we won’t let that detract from the result.

“We’re not going to sulk about the last ten minutes. We’ll address it and look at what we should have done better, but the bigger picture is that we’ve gone there and got a good result.”

The loose forward crashed over for his side’s second try of the game, which was his first for the season.

O’Loughlin said: “The majority of the forwards have got their first try this season, so it’s good to be involved! It’s always nice for a middle to get over.”

The 36-year-old skipper also praised the 750+ Wigan supporters who made the trip to the John Smith’s Stadium.

“It was a tough ask for them to come over on a Friday night. To have our fans almost out numbering theirs certainly makes a difference for us.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... -oloughlin
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Not so much the win (although very welcome) but the way in which we tackled the match and didn't concede straight after half-time as per normal.
Probably the highlight is Marshall's sidestep on the way to his try. Watch the Huddersfield 'tackler' dive straight into touch as he takes the dummy. Outstanding.
As someone else posted - we're now scoring down the right. Bit harsh on Budgie - just a fingertip away from an interception for their last try.
I think we can assume (hopefully) that SOL is now fit.
Now, how do they fit Hankinson and Bibby into one spot next season?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Starting to click: Leuluai

Tommy Leuluai reflects on Wigan Warriors’ 38-22 victory over Huddersfield Giants.

The 33-year-old was on the scoresheet but believes the win is the important thing.

Leuluai: “We are coming good at the right time.”

Tommy Leuluai says Wigan Warriors have improved at the ‘right time’, after his side gained victory at Huddersfield Giants on Friday night.

The 38-22 win at the John Smith’s Stadium was Wigan’s third consecutive away triumphs and the 33-year-old believes his team can be pleased in their performances across the three-game period.

Leuluai said: “We are playing better. We got lucky in the game against Hull KR and it was a tight one against Leeds, but this week was much better.

“It is not the finished article yet but we are getting there. The good thing is there is still plenty of football to be played and we are coming good at the right time. For us, it’s been about improving and I think we’ve done that.

“We said if we win a few games we will be right back in it. There are still ten games to go and we know if we win most of them we will be closer to the top than the bottom.”

Leuluai was one of six Wigan try scorers, as he powered over the line in the second half.

I’ve never been someone to get too many tries. For me, it’s about getting the wins rather than looking how many tries I’ve got at the end of the year.”

Leuluai is eager for the side to continue improving after he admitted he was ‘disappointed’ how Wigan conceded two tries in the last ten minutes.

“I feel we were a bit soft. We shouldn’t have been in that position and it is so imperative that we don’t allow teams back in it, as we will get punished by the teams who are higher in the table.”

After two months away from the DW Stadium, the half-back says he is looking forward to playing at home again, as the Warriors host Salford Red Devils next Friday.

“We have to get the win against Salford as they’re a team close to us. The next two weeks are big for us.”

“When we started this run we wanted to get five wins, so we’ve got two to go. We need to keep improving; I know we’re getting the wins, but we are still not playing full 80-minute performances.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... LoGZOuj.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Best we've played: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan Warriors’ win over Huddersfield Giants

Cherry and Whites make it three consecutive away wins.

Lam: “I thought our energy and enthusiasm was fantastic.”

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam believes his side produced their most complete performance of the season in beating Huddersfield Giants on Friday night.

The Cherry and Whites made it three wins in a row after comfortably beating the Yorkshire side at the John Smith’s Stadium and the boss was full of praise for the way his team went about their work.

“It was very pleasing, I think 70 minutes of it was the best we’ve played this season. I thought our energy and enthusiasm was fantastic.

“It’s been pretty tough on the road and I think we’ve come out the back of it pretty good. We’ve got seven out of the last ten at home now so that’s great.”

Lam took time to highlight the Wigan fans and the brilliant travelling support over the last two months, as with so many back-to-back away games in the calendar.

He said: “I want to thank the fans because we’ve had a big run of games away from home. I thought they travelled in numbers and were outstanding, so I want to pay them some credit.”

The Head Coach also singled out his captain, Sean O’Loughlin, and his performance on the night.

“Last week, I think he had a great first 40 and a not so great second 40. So, I asked him to see if we could get a complete performance from him this week.

“I thought he was outstanding; absolutely brilliant and I only think he’s going to get better because he’s getting fitter.

“That’s what we expect from our captain and our leader.”

The game saw another strong performance from centre Chris Hankinson, who was again lethal with the boot and also grabbed a try to go with his successful kicking game.

On the centre, Lam said: “I could see in training and earlier games that there was potential there. He also brings our values on and off the field, working really hard on the field too.

“We will have a bit of a headache next week when (Dan) Sarginson comes back.”

The boss highlighted the battling performance of youngster Morgan Smithies, who was caught in an altercation towards the tail end of the game, which saw Huddersfield’s Ukuma Ta’ai and Wigan’s Willie Isa being shown yellow cards.

Lam said: “He’s a tough kid and the players love playing with him. I don’t mind that he’s not backing down to anyone.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... U7bep01.99
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Could not get there last night, had a ticket, but due to stomach bug had no option. Listened to it. Sounded like a good game. Well done to the boys. 6th eh!