Armed forces to go free

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Armed forces to go free

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors to offer serving and former Armed Forces personnel free tickets to upcoming Betfred Super League fixture against Salford Red Devils.

The reigning Super League Champions face local rivals Salford on Friday 28th June at the DW Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).

Warriors have also partnered with Tickets for Troops to distribute tickets to Armed Forces personnel.

Wigan Warriors will look to reward the efforts of current and former Armed Forces personnel in the upcoming Betfred Super League clash against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium on Friday 28th June.

Any serving member or former members of the Armed Services will be able to watch the game for FREE, providing they show a current and valid ID card to club staff, whilst a number of tickets will also be distributed in partnership with Tickets For Troops, for serving Armed Forces personnel.

Martin McLoughlin, Wigan Warriors Marketing and Community Director: “As a club we feel it is only right that we recognise the efforts of all those people who are heavily involved in our Armed Forces on the eve of Armed Forces Day on Saturday 29th June at our home clash against Salford Red Devils on Friday evening. We are urge as many as people who qualify for a ticket to take up the offer and join us for what should be another hugely entertaining fixture at DW Stadium.”

This free ticket can be claimed by personnel visiting the DW Stadium on a Monday to Friday (9am-5pm) or on the day of the game itself from the main Ticket Office, which will open three hours before kick-off.

William Campbell-Lamerton, Director of Operations at Tickets For Troops, which marks its 10th anniversary later this year, said: “Rugby League has been a massive supporter of Tickets for Troops since we launched and it is fantastic that Wigan Warriors has maintained this level of generosity, with tickets to their game vs Salford Red Devils. We are both delighted and grateful for their support.”

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... rces-1.jpg

Wigan Warriors Captain Sean O’Loughlin on the upcoming Armed Forces Day: “It is great that the Club is supporting Armed Forces Day. The men and women involved do a service for us all, it is great to acknowledge what they do.”

Tickets are available for current serving members of the Armed Forces and those who have been medically discharged since 2001. Individuals can apply for tickets online at www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk‎ For more information, please contact William Campbell-Lamerton at Tickets for Troops on 020 7932 0808 or email press@ticketsfortroops.org.uk

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... UQRimIR.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Frank Ryan

Re: Armed forces to go free

Post by Frank Ryan »

What's with RL's obsession with the armed forces? Not just the armed forces day but troops bringing the matchball out, troops waving flags at Magic Weekend, troops folding up flags on the pitch before games and dismantling stages used by the pre-match turn? Have they no soldiering to be getting on with? As for free entrance, Why?

Where's the NHS day? The Fire Service day? Real week in week out heroes.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Frank Ryan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 pm What's with RL's obsession with the armed forces? Not just the armed forces day but troops bringing the matchball out, troops waving flags at Magic Weekend, troops folding up flags on the pitch before games and dismantling stages used by the pre-match turn? Have they no soldiering to be getting on with? As for free entrance, Why?

Keep the country safe (and you from speaking Russian). Massively underpaid and underrated imo.

Deserve all the accolades they get.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

When's the free tickets for the NHS staff event?

To much Americanisation if you ask me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Frank Ryan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 pm What's with RL's obsession with the armed forces? Not just the armed forces day but troops bringing the matchball out, troops waving flags at Magic Weekend, troops folding up flags on the pitch before games and dismantling stages used by the pre-match turn? Have they no soldiering to be getting on with? As for free entrance, Why?

Er... ok...
🤡
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
exiled

Post by exiled »

Although all the emergency services do a fantastic job on a daily basis, they do not sign a blank cheque to the government up to and including their lives. They military can be sent anywhere in the world at a moments notice, they have no right to strike action, are subject to both military law and civil law.

The military do an excellent job for little or no reward. On call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week for the whole year. There has only been one year since the end of WWII that any service personnel has not been killed in the line of duty.

The military seem to be forgotten by the general public as soon as there are no emergency's.

Yes I am exmil, my son is in the forces. Would I do it all again? Absolutely, as there is no other job like it.

Unfortunately, the general public will not get to know everything the military do due to the sensitivity of some operations. However, please take solace that if the s**t does hit the fan, they will protect you with their lives and they will look at it as 'I am just doing my job' .
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

exiled wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm Although all the emergency services do a fantastic job on a daily basis, they do not sign a blank cheque to the government up to and including their lives. They military can be sent anywhere in the world at a moments notice, they have no right to strike action, are subject to both military law and civil law.

The military do an excellent job for little or no reward. On call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week for the whole year. There has only been one year since the end of WWII that any service personnel has not been killed in the line of duty.

The military seem to be forgotten by the general public as soon as there are no emergency's.

Yes I am exmil, my son is in the forces. Would I do it all again? Absolutely, as there is no other job like it.

Unfortunately, the general public will not get to know everything the military do due to the sensitivity of some operations. However, please take solace that if the s**t does hit the fan, they will protect you with their lives and they will look at it as 'I am just doing my job' .
Well said.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

A fine job they do too, my cousin was in the forces. To the lovely gent who disagrees with this piece of activity by Wigan it is Armed Forces Day on the Saturday. We don’t have to do anything. I wonder if the gentleman is irate that Heinz once graced the North Stand given, I assume, he is a Kellogg’s man?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 pm
exiled wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm Although all the emergency services do a fantastic job on a daily basis, they do not sign a blank cheque to the government up to and including their lives. They military can be sent anywhere in the world at a moments notice, they have no right to strike action, are subject to both military law and civil law.

Well said.
Exactly. Nothing but the utmost respect for our military.

Also respect for our other services too.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Frank Ryan (and others with that same opinion)...I really hope you are being sarcastic in your post. Men AND women do that job so people can live a life free of oppression, only for them to then (from the comfort of their safe space) disrespect and put down those that do the job. As for them doing ‘soldiering’ as you call it, a lot of these that you sea are army/RAF/Naval cadets. I think it’s a superb idea, just to give them a little something back to show they are appreciated!