Tautai gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tautai gone!

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
old hooker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm Tautai did wrong and paid the penalty, Hardaker still here, it stinks of double standards.
Hardaker didn't get deported did he
Neither did TT unless I missed the news about him being flung on a plane.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm
medlocke wrote:
old hooker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm Tautai did wrong and paid the penalty, Hardaker still here, it stinks of double standards.
I believe he could have been at any point from now onwards. If you can, you're probably better to leave on your own terms.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I believe the players were told in no uncertain terms what the consequences would be after the Mullen incident.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
medlocke wrote: Hardaker didn't get deported did he
I believe he could have been at any point from now onwards. If you can, you're probably better to leave on your own terms.
Well having looked it up automatic deportation only applies if you are sentenced to prison for 12 months or more. So I reckon he was in no risk of deportation as it’s unlikely he’d be sent to prison for that long if at all.

An application to reside in the UK permanently will be denied for anyone convicted of drink driving (or any other crime) if they apply within three years of the offence for residency if the sentence wasn’t a custodial one. They would be deemed to not be of “good character”. Which means it must be possible to be a foreign national and remain here that long so the conviction is spent after three years and you can then apply for residency.

So he screwed his chance to seek to live here after playing but I reckon he could have seen his contract out.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote:
No he wasn't but rather hes gone on his own terms it seems to mesas for his visa I suspect he'd been warned he wasn't going to get it renewed and decided to get out of dodge before the cart come round to get him
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
medlocke wrote: Hardaker didn't get deported did he
No he wasn't but rather hes gone on his own terms it seems to me.
I am now pretty convinced after doing some digging he was in no danger of immediate deportation.

He’s gone because he and the club mutually agreed it? So what did the club want to happen? If he’d wanted to see his contract out would they have sacked him? I am still no clearer on the clubs attitude to such behaviour.
doc

Post by doc »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 pm I believe the players were told in no uncertain terms what the consequences would be after the Mullen incident.
If true this may make other players thinks about their actions. If it can happen to a high profile first team player it will send out a message to the rest of the squad, and more importantly to the younger members of the squad and u19s and nip any future disciplinary problems in the bud.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Neither has Tautai.That argument is irrelevant, Joel Tomkins was also drummed out of the club for a serious wrongdoing yet Hardaker is here, given all kinds of support despite being a serial offender.It stinks, it shows double standards and club management should be ashamed.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 pm
fozzieskem wrote:

I am now pretty convinced after doing some digging he was in no danger of immediate deportation.

He’s gone because he and the club mutually agreed it? So what did the club want to happen? If he’d wanted to see his contract out would they have sacked him? I am still no clearer on the clubs attitude to such behaviour.
I think,with respect you’re looking for reasons to slam the club,when if he wasn’t (and I suspect they would know by now about his visa and it’s chances of being renewed)and had gotten word it was over he and the club looked to find a way out that all concerned cane away looking ok.

Now that said the statement was brief and left a lot open to discussion (I swear the club don’t understand social media,this sort of thing is manna from heaven for it),it could have spun the story out a bit rather than the bare bones they released.

There should I agree be a hard and fast rule at the club over drink driving,one strike and your out for me,no matter who you are,if you can’t afford a taxi after a night on the pop then walk I know I always did.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 pm
fozzieskem wrote:

I think,with respect you’re looking for reasons to slam the club,when if he wasn’t (and I suspect they would know by now about his visa and it’s chances of being renewed)and had gotten word it was over he and the club looked to find a way out that all concerned cane away looking ok.

Now that said the statement was brief and left a lot open to discussion (I swear the club don’t understand social media,this sort of thing is manna from heaven for it),it could have spun the story out a bit rather than the bare bones they released.

There should I agree be a hard and fast rule at the club over drink driving,one strike and your out for me,no matter who you are,if you can’t afford a taxi after a night on the pop then walk I know I always did.
I think Dave has a valid point here - from what he's posted it seems clear immediate deportation was not part of the equation so i could of ran till his visa ends and finished his contract. I dont see that it puts him in any better position to leave now than at the end of his contract.

The club seem very inconsistent on their application of discipline. If we look at drinking incidents J.Tomkins was farmed out immediately, bateman was given a pretty long internal ban, hardaker got absolutely nothing (despite having the worst record of anyone mentioned) Mullen got away with it not TT has been sent packing.

I have a feeling the two that got away with it are because Zak was meant to be our star signing and Mullens wage wasn't big enough to be worth dropping.

As to your last point, regardless of what you think drinking culture has alwasy been a big part of rugby league so even though these are professionals i dont think youre going to get rid of that the club should have fitness level tests that players have to meet - if they can meet these and have a few bevvys thats up to them. Why dont wigan do a deal with a local taxi firm and have a chargable account - that way there is no excuses - Wigan could simply then dock the amount used from the players wages - they wouldnt need cash on them or anything there would never be an excuse - then its easy to harshly punish
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure