Tautai gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Tautai gone!

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:32 pm Looks like cas wont be letting clark come this season
Which is a shame,I think,but maybe RL needs to go down the route of football and not allow transfers through the season?

Thoughts?
i couldnt agree more ,its not very sporting imo
It’s always irked me,if they right away then fine but this malarkey of players standing in shirts etc when they’re not joining till next season leaves a bitter taste to be honest.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 am
fozzieskem wrote: I think,with respect you’re looking for reasons to slam the club,when if he wasn’t (and I suspect they would know by now about his visa and it’s chances of being renewed)and had gotten word it was over he and the club looked to find a way out that all concerned cane away looking ok.

Now that said the statement was brief and left a lot open to discussion (I swear the club don’t understand social media,this sort of thing is manna from heaven for it),it could have spun the story out a bit rather than the bare bones they released.

There should I agree be a hard and fast rule at the club over drink driving,one strike and your out for me,no matter who you are,if you can’t afford a taxi after a night on the pop then walk I know I always did.
No I am not looking for an excuse to bask the club. I genuinely do not understand what the clubs attitude is to such issues.

I don’t think it’s an amateurish approach to social media either as I don’t see what social media has to do with it.

The club said he’s left due to mutual agreement. So if as someone else posted the players got the riot act read to them over Mullen, why wasn’t TT just sacked?

All the niceties about thinking him for he time here and him thanking the club for letting him leave, I mean WTF is that all about?

He’s leaving because he done for DUI. Who’s idea was it that he left? The clubs as a disciplinary measure? Well say so to help the rebuild clubs reputation.

The club doesn’t owe him anything such that it needs to come out with what it did.

I get it that he supposed to be a great bloke but the club needs to improve its reputation.

As others have said we have had several players have have committed drink related offences and each one has been treated differently with arguably the worst getting off Scott free as he was our star signing.
The only reason I can offer is it had to be down to his visa,we live In intolerant times as we all know one mistake it seems and it’s game over if you believe TT solicitor maybe they had word it wasn’t going to get it renewed and with his court appearance they decided to cut ties.

Social media has EVERYTHING to do with this story,and many others with it,a carefully worded statement certainly better than what was released,would have explained the situation rather than the drab and bland explanation Wigan released,spin it and the story dies release what they did and you have people like yourself looking up points of order on what could have happened when you or I simply don’t know,I will find fault with Wigan over that but they I suppose don’t owe fans any reason why he left and that’s the simple truth of it.

That others have been found drunk diving is an irrelevance as they can’t be deported and that fact alone,with what little we know has to be the reason he went,sadly though Wigan yet again choose to shoot themselves in the foot and offer bland statements which serves nothing but to extend conversations such as ours,a well placed tweet or Facebook post kills the story,the power of social media is immense and Wigan need to realise this.
You can’t be deported for drink driving unless you get a 12 month or longer prison sentence for which you’d probably have had to have hit a pedestrian or caused a serious accident. It’s been all over the place he faced deportation as the reason he’s gone and it’s not true.

It screwed up any application for residency but that is a different thing. So, yes in my book each incident has been dealt with differently with Wigan actually going ahead to employ Hardaker after he did what he did.

There was no more reason for him to leave as there was Mullen.

EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:16 pm You can’t be deported for drink driving unless you get a 12 month or longer prison sentence for which you’d probably have had to have hit a pedestrian or caused a serious accident. It’s been all over the place he faced deportation as the reason he’s gone and it’s not true.

It screwed up any application for residency but that is a different thing. So, yes in my book each incident has been dealt with differently with Wigan actually going ahead to employ Hardaker after he did what he did.

There was no more reason for him to leave as there was Mullen.
If Tautai didn't get his visa renewed or granted residency then he would be deported wouldn't he? So it's true that he faced deportation, it was just misinterpreted by some as meaning he faced it immediately.

There was a good chance that once his current visa expired (which I believe would have been this year) he would neither be granted another or granted residency.

it seems likely that the decision to leave was made by him as the club statement suggested. Going home now provides certainty for his family with regards to where their home will be. If he stayed in this country and continued with his residency application knowing there was a good chance it could be rejected that would leave a lot of uncertainty for him. Probably best in his situation to just go back to Australia for the sake of stability.

And if that's the case then there's nothing wrong with the statement the club made. If the club decided to sack him they'd have said so as it saves face.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Just wonder if sacking him is a way of opening the overseas quota up if he counts mmmm
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 pm Just wonder if sacking him is a way of opening the overseas quota up if he counts mmmm
Seeing as we have no where near the max for overseas players does this hint at a clutch of overseas recruits?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quota_players
An overseas player quota restricts the number of foreign players that rugby league clubs in the Super League, Championship, and League 1 competitions are allowed to sign. Currently, Super League and Championship clubs are allowed a maximum of 5 foreign players
There are three exceptions for a player to avoid quota player status. Those are listed below:

1. When a player has played for a rugby team for six years, he is eligible to gain British citizenship and does not count under the quota.
2. If the player has a passport for any EU nation or a Kolpak nation.
3. If the player is from a Kolpak nation such as Papua New Guinea, Samoa or Tonga.
Now assuming a certain poster doesn't post contradictory information from the RFL We can assume Hamlin/Isa/Leuluai/Tautai at a stretch might have been considered "overseas".
It is believed that Tautai had recently applied for a settlement visa to live permanently in the UK, following the expiry of his “Sportsperson” visa, which lasted for six years following his move to Wakefield in 2013. If the Home Office blocks his application as a result of the conviction, he will have to return to Australia.
https://www.wigantoday.net/news/crime/w ... -1-9818478

It would appear from the rules that Tautai would probably have not counted as overseas if he had been successful in his application (pre-conviction) so your guess is realistically incorrect

However, two players have already gone and another might retire so it gives Wigan the potential to recruit at least four overseas players classed as such
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
doc

Post by doc »

I don't Tommy is classed as overseas as he broke through at London.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Does anyone know what the overseas rule will be post Brexit? Perhaps we will be so poor that we will not have professional sport any more.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Yes, that is correct because there are no wealthy countries outside the EU, whereas everyone in the EU is minted. Am off to Greece in a couple of weeks to see how they manage it...
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Departing Wigan Warriors star Taulima Tautai to retire from rugby league

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/depart ... -1-9848848
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

T has paid a great price for his indiscretion I wish him and his family well in the future.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards