Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the club

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 pm I’d like to think IL and Rads have a better idea of whether or not they think he the man for the job because they get to see how he actually coaches.

IL has seen Noble, Wane and Madge while he’s owned the club so surely he must know how Lam compares to those three.

So with that knowledge and how the team goes for the remainder of the season he should know if he’s worth taking on for longer.

Giving him another year to see if he’s any good is a cop out. If he is to be given a contract it needs to be because he’s thought to be good enough.
I'm not convinced by Lam, but accept that we have to allow for disruption due to injuries and departures, as well as change of coach.

Agree with your comments about IL and Rads, Dave, but think it would make sense to give Lammy one more year and then an extended contract when we see what he's capable of with a full squad available.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I won’t decide whether he gets the job or not, but if we are inclined to continue with Lam we should at least wait until we have played Saints again. He will have none of the excuses that his defenders use to brush over/give context to his near 100% failure rate in big games. When Wane had a bad season, he did so having shown he could motivate the side and win big matches. Lam has done neither. I simply don’t see any point waiting any longer to conclude he isn’t up to the job, but if we appoint him before we have seen another “attempt” at coaching us in a hard match, we will be trusting to blind faith against all the evidence.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:58 pm I won’t decide whether he gets the job or not, but if we are inclined to continue with Lam we should at least wait until we have played Saints again. He will have none of the excuses that his defenders use to brush over/give context to his near 100% failure rate in big games. When Wane had a bad season, he did so having shown he could motivate the side and win big matches. Lam has done neither. I simply don’t see any point waiting any longer to conclude he isn’t up to the job, but if we appoint him before we have seen another “attempt” at coaching us in a hard match, we will be trusting to blind faith against all the evidence.
Hard to disagree,but we shall see
Dev

Post by Dev »

bertina wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm Against the top 4 sides and the Roosters, he has won one game out of 9. A 11% success rate. Why is he even in consideration? He has done nothing with the squad available. No structure and no resilience under pressure. It would be the worst coaching decision the club has made since Hughes (at least there was some logic in Millward’s recruitment). He is so out of his depth it is tragic to see.
He's hardly had the same squad available up to the last three games! You seem to know all the ins & outs of coaching an injury battered team, put your name forward for the position!

Let's see how you manage with all the adversity that's gone on at the club this season!
I agree entirely Josie. I doubt any coach could have done much better with the personnel he has had at his disposal.
Give the lad a break, he's lost Tomkins, Sutton, and Bateman from last years squad, Farrell, Marshall, Sammutt, Davies, missing for chunks of the season.
People have short memories. We also took some beatings under Wane when injuries struck.
The season isn't over yet.
I agree with josie too, the squad he had at the beginning of the season not even the best coach in the world could of got much more out of them, loosing Tomkins and Bateman was a massive blow to the squad, Hardaker was always going to take a while to get back up to speed with the game and injuries at the beginning of the season cost us too, just proves that getting everyone fit again makes a massive difference and is showing that with where we are in the league table now. Lam will get kept on without a doubt and it’s a matter of time before it gets announced.