Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the club

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam hopes to know whether he will be in charge next year within ‘the next 10 days or so’.

Lam revealed he had hoped to hold talks with the club earlier in the season, but wanted to make sure there were no distractions as the players looked to climb the table.

But having steadied themselves to a degree with three straight wins ahead of tomorrow night’s visit of Salford, the former player is ready to look ahead.

“I’ll sort out my future in the next 10 days or so. I need to sit down with them, now this period is over,” he said.

“We went through Easter and I was going to speak to the club then but I didn’t feel we were in a good position to talk until we were back on track.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and said we need to meet in some way and hopefully that’ll happen soon.”

Wigan’s rocky start to the season had them looking over their shoulders rather than up the table.

But recent improvements have seen them within touching distance of the play-off places.

“Considering the season we’ve had, it’s great we’ve come through it,” he added.

Ian Lenagan said earlier this season, when Wigan were struggling, that Lam was favourite to stay on. And since then they have climbed into the top half of the table.

They can climb to fourth with a win at home to Salford tomorrow.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9844261
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Re: Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the clu

Post by First Try Tickle »

Its a difficult one with Lam, I think he's struggled with the players available but we've not seen much of the promised attacking improvements.

But if they said he wasn't being kept on and then said the front runners were Chris Chester or Dennis Betts then I would be a bit disappointed.

You just never know with a coach, I really thought Leeds have done well getting Furner and look how that's turned out.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lammy will get the job. If he was favourite several weeks ago. he must be a certainty now with our improved league position. In the past few weeks he's managed to win the games we should have won (against poor opposition) and I think Lenagan considers him the low risk option. Let's just hope we're not regretting this in a year's time. I'm not convinced by Lammy but really hope I'm wrong.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:19 am I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lammy will get the job. If he was favourite several weeks ago. he must be a certainty now with our improved league position. In the past few weeks he's managed to win the games we should have won (against poor opposition) and I think Lenagan considers him the low risk option. Let's just hope we're not regretting this in a year's time. I'm not convinced by Lammy but really hope I'm wrong.
This
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam on his future with the club

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Against the top 4 sides and the Roosters, he has won one game out of 9. A 11% success rate. Why is he even in consideration? He has done nothing with the squad available. No structure and no resilience under pressure. It would be the worst coaching decision the club has made since Hughes (at least there was some logic in Millward’s recruitment). He is so out of his depth it is tragic to see.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm Against the top 4 sides and the Roosters, he has won one game out of 9. A 11% success rate. Why is he even in consideration? He has done nothing with the squad available. No structure and no resilience under pressure. It would be the worst coaching decision the club has made since Hughes (at least there was some logic in Millward’s recruitment). He is so out of his depth it is tragic to see.
He's hardly had the same squad available up to the last three games! You seem to know all the ins & outs of coaching an injury battered team, put your name forward for the position!

Let's see how you manage with all the adversity that's gone on at the club this season!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I fear it'll end in tears myself,hes still, through no fault of his own tainted by the Edwards affair and the rugby on offer has been at times awful so for my money if where the owner of Wigan wouldn't be taking a chance on him sad to say, but I'd say its a forgone conclusion he will get another year.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I’d like to think IL and Rads have a better idea of whether or not they think he the man for the job because they get to see how he actually coaches.

IL has seen Noble, Wane and Madge while he’s owned the club so surely he must know how Lam compares to those three.

So with that knowledge and how the team goes for the remainder of the season he should know if he’s worth taking on for longer.

Giving him another year to see if he’s any good is a cop out. If he is to be given a contract it needs to be because he’s thought to be good enough.
bertina

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm Against the top 4 sides and the Roosters, he has won one game out of 9. A 11% success rate. Why is he even in consideration? He has done nothing with the squad available. No structure and no resilience under pressure. It would be the worst coaching decision the club has made since Hughes (at least there was some logic in Millward’s recruitment). He is so out of his depth it is tragic to see.
He's hardly had the same squad available up to the last three games! You seem to know all the ins & outs of coaching an injury battered team, put your name forward for the position!

Let's see how you manage with all the adversity that's gone on at the club this season!
I agree entirely Josie. I doubt any coach could have done much better with the personnel he has had at his disposal.
Give the lad a break, he's lost Tomkins, Sutton, and Bateman from last years squad, Farrell, Marshall, Sammutt, Davies, missing for chunks of the season.
People have short memories. We also took some beatings under Wane when injuries struck.
The season isn't over yet.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

In 2017 under Waney we lost 13 games iirc, 3 more than what Lam has lost so far and we where the SL champions playing under a successful coach without the loss of major players, Lammy deserves a decent shot imo, Win tomorrows game and we are 4th ffs