In focus: Chris Hankinson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

In focus: Chris Hankinson

Post by josie andrews »

A closer look at how Chris Hankinson has become a revelation for Wigan Warriors.

Centre was rewarded with a one-year contract extension earlier in June.

Hankinson: “I take pride in kicking and I want to keep it at the highest percentage as possible.”

After breaking into the Wigan Warriors first team in 2019, Chris Hankinson has been a revelation for the team’s goal kicking in recent weeks.

The centre has an 85.7 percentage kicking accuracy with 12 goals from a possible 14 in the last two games against Leeds Rhinos and Huddersfield Giants.

Hankinson has played ten games under Adrian Lam this season, scoring two tries, including one in last week’s win at Huddersfield, as well as two assists.

Speaking to Wigan TV this week, he said: “Kicking is something I try and keep on top of when I can. When Zak (Hardaker) was doing it, you seem to not practice as much because you know it’s in safe hands, as he is a really good kicker.

“For me, the main thing is getting into the team, and the kicking side is something you can pull out if it’s needed.

I’m happy to do it for the team, while it’s going well and long may it continue. I take pride in kicking and I want to keep it at the highest percentage as possible.”

A former junior of Ashton Bears, Hankinson began his rugby league career at Salford Red Devils before moving to Leigh Centurions.

Having impressed in a loan spell at Barrow Raiders, the centre signed for Swinton Lions where he established himself as one of the lower league’s finest backs.

In July 2018, Hankinson joined Wigan and made his debut for the Club against St Helens at the DW Stadium a few days later. He scored his first try in his second appearance against Catalans Dragons, but his season was cut short after he suffered an eye injury in the 25-20 win.

This year, the 25-year-old’s consistency and versatility within Lam’s side saw him rewarded with a contract extension for 2020 and since then he has become Wigan’s regular goal kicker, as well as a right side threat in attack.

He added: “I’ve had the chance to impose myself in certain points in the games, as we’re getting a lot of ball down the right side, which is more than we’re used to.”

On Hankinson’s, Head Coach Lam said: “I could see in training and earlier games that there was potential there. He also brings our values on and off the field, working really hard on the field too.”

Watch Hankinson’s full interview on Wigan TV, as he previews Friday’s Betfred Super League game against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... W01IDRR.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan