Will Wigan Warriors sign Mitch Clark early?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Will Wigan Warriors sign Mitch Clark early?

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan could discover as early as this week whether they will be able to bring in Castleford’s Mitch Clark this season.

Kiwi Clark has already signed for the Warriors for 2020.

Since then he has fallen out of favour at the Tigers, and has been playing on dual-registration for Championship side Halifax.

The Warriors had a previous attempt to bring in Clark early turned down, but will make another move over the next few days following Taulima Tautai’s exit last week.

Coach Adrian Lam said: “The club has talked about filling a position there because we’ve lost Gabe Hamlin (to a UKAD suspension) and Taulima, so we’re certainly short a middle player.

“We’re looking at the opportunities and (Clark) will obviously be one of them.

“We’ll know a bit more about that in the next seven days.” Clubs have until August 9 to recruit players for the current campaign.

Clark and Salford's Jake Bibby have already been confirmed as signings for 2020.

And the Warriors are thought to have reached an agreement with Red Devils halfback Jackson Hastings, who played against them on Friday.

Lam will today check on Sean O’Loughlin’s Achilles injury suffered early in Friday’s win against Salford.

The captain hobbled off within two minutes and is a doubt for Friday’s visit of Tony Smith’s Hull KR.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/will-w ... -1-9849476
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Will Wigan Warriors sign Mitch Clark early?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Cas have already said "No" then if they are going to talk again one would suppose a transfer fee may well be part of the conversation. Depends on how much Cas want and if Wigan can negotiate a mutually agreed figure. We could do with him at the moment.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:18 pm If Cas have already said "No" then if they are going to talk again one would suppose a transfer fee may well be part of the conversation. Depends on how much Cas want and if Wigan can negotiate a mutually agreed figure. We could do with him at the moment.
There is no incentive for Cas to release him for free that is for sure.

As they had already presumably reconciled themselves to not getting a fee as he is out of contract at the end of the season so if I were them I'd stick a fee of £500k on him and when that wasn't forthcoming still say "no".

They can see as well as anyone we have lost three players from the pack (two permanently) so why release a player who would bolster one of your rivals?

Anything less than a six figure fee and unless they need him of the salary cap to bring in a new player of their own it would be "no deal" if it were me running Cas.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not being played by Cas but not being allowed to move on is very poor from Cas. Stinks of a spiteful Powell decision.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:35 pm Not being played by Cas but not being allowed to move on is very poor from Cas. Stinks of a spiteful Powell decision.
His player,his call I suppose
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It's a shame he won't let the most destructive pop in SL play
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It would seem a bit daft to pay a transfer fee for a player who only has about 6 months left on his current contract. If Cas are going to try to play hard ball (which they are entitled to do) we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

To be honest if Cas are in a position where they can leave him out when they have forwards injured he can't be that good. I'm not sure the club can perform mid-season miracles and transform a player into a world beater.

Probably best to look elsewhere for whoever is available. At this point they don't need to be quality, just someone who can improve our front row for this season.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:35 pm Not being played by Cas but not being allowed to move on is very poor from Cas. Stinks of a spiteful Powell decision.
I'm not a Powell fan but can you level that at him in this scenario? He's probably 5th choice at Cas if all are fit
It would be a bit like us deciding Sarge is behind Hank now and Salford wanting him early. We are all in a melting pot for a playoff letting Clarke come early would be risky.
I wouldn't mind an NRL prop coming in. For me we was a prop short before Hamlin. Now with T gone we are deffinatly short.
Partington and Byrne are good cover but both still need time and work on certain things. Smithies looks a good bet and has took away the need for a utility forward. The big one for me is Wells really think he would have been a regular now bar the shocking run of injuries. Powell running the ball more for me is massive and if that continues and improves we dont need to spend on a 9 . An 80 minute hooker with 40+ tackles and 80+ yards with decent passing game who looks like becoming a leader will do for me. The running game from 9 is massive it keeps the middles occupied.
Prop please and a good one Clarke is a up to this point from what I have seen a Hamlin type player(not sure if hes as good will have to see him play first). I do believe we missed Gabe a lot this year.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Bit silly of Cas, financially they are continuing to pay his salary yet by not playing him, are gaining no return on their outlay, and thus losing money.
I didn't think they were so flashed for cash at Cas ? But of course, in some ways, they are paranoid about Wigan !
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Not being played by Cas but not being allowed to move on is very poor from Cas. Stinks of a spiteful Powell decision.
But we complain when players want out of contracts early. It could be argued a good reason for Cas not to let him leave early is to show contracts are enforced at Cas even if that means a player is left out.

I’d certainly support IL if he did that to get it across players can’t leave Wigan before their contracts are up. Fat chance of that though. For some bizarre reason he seems to think letting them leave early makes good sense.