Will Latics banish us from the DW every year?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Will Latics banish us from the DW every year?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Among the many things that annoy me about the club at the moment, one of my biggest issues is the break from playing at home seemingly every year in May and June. There are a few things that really get on my nerves about it:
- it hammers home that we are second class citizens in what is supposedly our own home;
- we would give up home advantage again if we were drawn at home in the Cup, which is an insult to fans and weakens the team’s prospects;
- how can fans who can’t go to away games “connect” with a team whom we don’t see for months on end? It destroys momentum and rhythm - when I started watching there used to be a week on, week off rhythm that made supporting easier;
- as our kids are school age, we take holidays in the school holidays. Currently, Latics banish us for May and June, months in which we are not going to be on holiday, which means that we play at home more than every other week in July and August (though not of course where we manage to get knocked out of the Cup at the first attempt). If we go away Friday to Friday we can find ourselves missing 2 games because the home games are more often consecutive at this time. So, it wastes money (and presumably affects crowd figures).

Is this now something that Latics will force on us every year? If so, and I am usually an IL supporter, that is appalling business, and another example of treating the fans with contempt.
josie andrews

Re: Will Latics banish us from the DW every year?

Post by josie andrews »

The "Club Shop" at the DW is now a portacabin on the car park at Robin Park!

When I bought a ticket for the HKR game, I got an email thanking me from Wigan Athletic!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Stuck with it for now I'm afraid.
Pitch maintenance I'm afraid but looked tip top Friday.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Is “for now” every year indefinitely?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am The "Club Shop" at the DW is now a portacabin on the car park at Robin Park!

When I bought a ticket for the HKR game, I got an email thanking me from Wigan Athletic!
Yea I bought saints tickets and got the latics email as a header,not very professional at all.

As for the exile why is it just the DW that seems to turf the second team out on its war?its a disgrace to treat fans this way and thenLenegan wonders why the gate is going down?
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Can't stand the place,we're not a club anymore just a franchise until we get our own ground.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am Is “for now” every year indefinitely?
It's about the third or forth season so I'll leave you to decide?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Mickw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 am Can't stand the place,we're not a club anymore just a franchise until we get our own ground.
Agree totally but I cant see us getting our own ground anytime soon
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I assume it’ll only get worse if the plan to stage concerts goes through
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Create a modern day replica of Central Park on't ground next door, They could even re-create the smell of the river caves :D