Why Jackson Hastings will thrive with Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Why Jackson Hastings will thrive with Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan have landed a “winner” in Jackson Hastings.

That is the view of ex-Warrior Greg Burke, who currently plays alongside the Australian halfback at Salford.

Adrian Lam has made no secret of his pursuit of Hastings, who he worked with in the Sydney Roosters junior ranks.

And it is understood Wigan have beaten off competition from Leeds and the Red Devils to secure his services for 2020 as replacement for Canberra-bound George Williams, though neither deal has been confirmed.

“He’s a great player,” said Burke, who played at hometown club Wigan in 2013 and ‘14.

“He’s a winner – that’s the main thing.

“He’s got class which can win a game, and a running game which makes him an attacking threat.

“But it’s his competitiveness that makes him the player he is. He’ll fight for everything, he chases back, he’s always going to give 100 per cent.

We don’t want him going anywhere because what he gives you is confidence.”

Warriors have long been reported to be favourite to land Hastings for next year.

Club owner Ian Lenagan even hinted at the prospect of Hastings playing in the Cherry and White when he wrote in his programme notes: “(I’ve) no doubt our fans will be keeping a close eye on him.”

His capture may see Williams’ move to Canberra finally be confirmed after months of silence from all parties.

It is unclear whether Hastings has signed for one year or longer, given his desire to re-establish himself in the NRL after his acrimonious split from Manly a year ago.

Wigan have already signed Hastings’ Salford team-mate Jake Bibby for next year.

Meanwhile, the Red Devils’ assistant coach Martin Gleeson - a Grand Final hero for Wigan in 2010 – will leave later this week to switch codes and join Wasps as an attack coach.

“I can’t speak highly enough of him, he’s brilliant,” said head coach Ian Watson.

“I’ve been with him four or five years and the way he looks at the game, the detail, is really smart.

“They’ve got a great coach, I didn’t want to lose him but that’s rugby, that’s life, and when you get these opportunities people have look at what’s best for them and their families.

“But he’s going to be a big, big loss for us.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-ja ... -1-9851378
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Why Jackson Hastings will thrive with Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam has "fingers crossed" he coaches Jackson Hastings at Wigan Warriors

Adrian Lam is keeping his "fingers crossed" he gets to work with Jackson Hastings next year at Wigan.

Lam worked with Hastings at the Sydney Roosters and wanted him on board for this season, only for him to extend his stay with Salford.

But the Australian halfback is thought to have agreed a move to the Warriors for 2020 as replacement for Canberra-bound George Williams, though neither move has been confirmed.

Asked about Hastings, Lam said: "We've been talking to him for a long time along with a lot of other clubs. In regards to that, I get along with him personally myself and if he was to come to Wigan I'm sure the club would announce that when it happens when it's the right time. Fingers crossed that's the case."

Lam himself is out of contract at the end of this season and confirmed he has started talking to Wigan about extending his stay.

He joined on a 12-month deal but has been the favourite to remain in charge since Shaun Edwards' spectacular U-turn.

Having overcome a rocky start on and off the pitch, Lam has guided the Warriors into the play-offs positions and they could cut the margin on third-placed Hull FC to just two points if they beat Hull KR on Friday.

Lam said: "I've started communications through my management and I'm happy that's underway now. It may take a week or two but it's a positive we're into that next stage.

I was happy with the (initial) one-year deal and I understood the situation but when things changed, I tried to separate myself from it because we were trying to get up into a good position in the ladder.

"There have been some challenges but now that it may be a reality that there may be an opportunity to stay, it excites me too because I can do things a little bit differently than I did this year.

"But we have to get to that point and make sure everyone is happy."

Lam is still hoping to bring in another forward, with Castleford's Mitch Clark a target to join early ahead of his move next season.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/adrian ... -1-9853494
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan