Warriors thump Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors thump Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

Match report as Wigan Warriors comfortably beat Hull KR at the DW Stadium

Liam Marshall scored a hat trick which included his 50th try for Wigan Warriors

Adrian Lam’s side scored nine tries, including five in 13 minutes during the second half

A Liam Marshall hat trick helped Wigan Warriors cruise past Hull Kingston Rovers at the DW Stadium the Round 21 of the Betfred Super League.

Adrian Lam’s side put nine tries past the Robins in a free-scoring affair seeing Wigan put on 52 points to KR’s 10. A high scoring second half for Wigan saw the Cherry & Whites put five tries past Rovers in just 13 minutes.

The Warriors got off to a flyer courtesy of second-row Liam Farrell. A quick show of hands from Farrell on halfway found Gildart, who then fed Joe Burgess to make plenty of ground on the left flank. Drawing the RKR full back, Burgess then slipped it back inside to find Farrell in support to run over from 20 metres. Zak Hardaker added the extras.

The Wigan full-back added two more to the Warriors score in the 11th minute via a successful penalty kick. Rovers conceded a dangerous tackle on George Williams to give the Cherry & Whites a shot on goal.

The Robins grabbed their first points just two minutes later through fullback Adam Quinlan in the 13th minute. A pacey moved down their right edge came to winger Craig Hall, who fed the ball back inside to Quinlan to cross the whitewash in the corner. Ryan Shaw converted to add two more for Rovers.

Adrian Lam’s men didn’t wait long to put on another try, with Liam Marshall going over in the corner in the 18th minute. A well-timed pass from Zak Hardaker drew out KR winger Ryan Shaw, to leave Marshall with plenty of room to touch down. Hardaker added the extras to take the score to 14-6.

Wigan’s right edge proved dangerous once more in the 21st when Marshall bagged his second of the game. Dan Sarginson this time the provider. Hardaker failed to convert.

Following a dangerous tackle on Hull KR’s Weller Hauraki, Wigan forward Romain Navarrete was sent to the sin bin in the 26th minute.

Hardaker grabbed a try of his own in the 37th minutes thanks to a well-placed kick from George Williams. The halfback nudged one forward upon realising the Rovers defenders where going to catch him following a line break on the 40 metre line. Hardaker won the race to the ball and managed to touch down in the corner.

Liam Marshall completed his hat trick in the 54th minute, a try that marked his 50th for the Club. A gut busting run from prop-forward Joe Bullock made up plenty of yards down the middle of the park. After Rovers finally dropped him, a right edge move found its way to Marshall, who touched down in the corner. Hardaker failed to add the extras.

Momentum firmly stayed with Wigan and just three minutes later they crossed again. George Williams found himself 10 yards from the Rovers line with acres of space to stroll into and touch down under the posts. Hardaker added the extras.

The Warriors struck again in the 60th minute through Liam Farrell. The second-row’s well-timed line break meant he could easily gallop home from 20 metres to score his second of the game. Hardaker added the extras.

Wigan piled on more misery for the Robins in the 64th minute with the first of the game for Oliver Gildart. Jarrod Sammut broke free of the Rovers line from halfway, but was unable to run all the way clear before being caught be two defenders. A clever offload to Gildart saw the centre cross the whitewash easily. Hardaker provided two more.

Just three minutes later, provider turned scorer as Joe Burgess strolled home from 30 metres to score easily in the left corner. Zak Hardaker added a further two points.

Hull KR grabbed their first points of the second half in the 71st minute via Quinlan. The fullback grabbed his second of the game, crossing the line in the left corner. Shaw failed to add the extras.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Tommy Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Romain Navarrete, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies

Interchanges: Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson, Jarrod Sammut, Ollie Partington

Tries: Farrell (5’, 60’), Marshall (18’, 22’, 54’) Hardaker (37’) Williams (57’), Gildart (64’), Burgess (67’)

Conversions: Hardaker (7/9)

Penalties: Hardaker (11’)

Yellow Card: Romain Navarrete (26’)

Hull Kingston Rovers: Adam Quinlan, Ryan Shaw, Kane Linett, Ben Crooks, Craig Hall, Josh Drinkwater, Danny McGuire, Mithc Garbutt, Matt Parcell, Lui Johnson, Joel Tomkins, Harvey Livett, Weller Hauraki

Interchanges: Chris Atkin, Mose Masoe, Robbie Mulhern, Daniel Murray

Tries: Quinlan (13’, 71’)

Conversions: Shaw (1/2)

Penalties:

Officials

Referee: Marcus Griffiths

Touch Judges: Tom Grant a& Jonathan Roberts

In Goal Judges: Harry Neville & David Sharpe

Official attendance: 11,042

Man of the Match: George Williams

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... zY38d8L.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warriors thump Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

Best performance yet: Lam

Adrian Lam says it was Wigan’s best performance of the year as his side beat Hull KR at the DW.

Head Coach praises both attacking and defensive effort in the 52-10 win.

Warriors scored nine tries on the evening to down their Yorkshire visitors.

Wigan Head Coach Adrian Lam says the dressing room is happy and positive as his side put in their ‘best performance of the year’ against Hull KR to win 52-10 on Friday night.

Adrian Lam gave his initial reaction following the win: “I think that was our best performance this year without a doubt, considering the names we were missing on the field today, and we had a couple of young boys playing in the middle. I think they are enjoying their rugby, and they’re playing for each other.

There was a 10-minute period where we were down to 12-men in that first period, but they played for each other and that was the highlight for me.”

“I think Hull KR started well, they’ve got a lot to play for but I think our boys knew what the challenge was going to be. We set a challenge earlier in the week and I thought they responded really well.”

Lam lauded his side’s attacking efforts: “There’s been signs of it through the year, but not like that. I still think we can get better, by making these performances more consistent each week but it’s a happy dressing room, which is good. It has been for a few weeks now, it’s been really positive and really enjoyable.”

The Head Coach also praised Wigan’s defensive efforts on the night, as the Warriors limited KR to two scores: “They’re hungry as a team, they’re really working for each other. We briefly mentioned the importance of having points for and against right before the end of the year, so I think that effort was much needed from us.”

The win moves Wigan two points off third place, something which pleased Lam: “It’s unbelievable isn’t it, I don’t quite get it. Some score lines going our way at the moment but of course we have a massive game next week. If we play like we did tonight, every week, we’re going to be hard to beat.”

He added: “It just goes to show that the Super League is a great competition. It’s great that there’s upsets the way that there is at the moment and so many teams in a position to go down, teams in a position to make the top five, apart from the two runaways at the moment but I think that’s great for the game. It’s not a negative in any sense as it gives everyone an opportunity and a hope that if you turn up on the day that you can win.”

Liam Marshall scored a hat-trick on the evening, marking his 50th try in Wigan colours. On his efforts, Lam said: “He was unlucky not to get a fourth, I think he’s benefitted from the style of attack that the boys put together tonight. It’s always good to see your wingers scoring tries, and racking up points like we did tonight. It’s great for Rugby League, and Wigan fans especially, in this moment.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... Db2f0A.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Forty20 reaction to tonight's game

https://youtu.be/mDgakFxQD3s
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Smith says Wigan Warriors have "speed to burn"

Hull KR coach Tony Smith admitted his side had no match to the speed and accuracy of Wigan's attack in their 52-10 defeat.

The former Warrington coach hailed the Warriors' nine-try display, and echoed Adrian Lam's comments that it was their best performance of the year.

"I can't fault our effort, we weren't at our best - most teams go through dips in energy level," said Smith.

"We just need to make sure it's a dip this week, but jeez it's hard to stop when opponents are going that fast and executing like they were. They had a heap of ball, and they scored a heap of points.

"That was Wigan's best performance of the year, certainly that I've seen - and I've seen a lot.

"When they kick into gear they have an incredible amount of speed - speed to burn, some of those kids on the edges.

"George Williams had a field day, I love watching him - I didn't enjoy watching him tonight. But all credit to them.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/tony-s ... -1-9861342
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Highlights from Sky Sports

Wigan 52-10 Hull KR

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... 10-hull-kr
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fans helped us: Farrell

Liam Farrell speaks to Wigan TV following the Warriors’ win over Hull KR at the DW Stadium.

Second row praises fans for helping his side cruise to a 52-10 victory on Friday night.

Farrell: “It’s been a while since I got over, so to get two on one night is really good and it tops off a brilliant birthday week.”

Liam Farrell says Wigan Warriors’ attacking prowess reflected in the atmosphere at the DW Stadium on Friday night as his side beat Hull KR 52-10.

Five tries in the space of 13 second half minutes lifted the Cherry and White faithful as they strolled to a comfortable back-to-back home win and fifth consecutive victory in the league.

Speaking to Wigan TV after the game, he said: “I thought they (the fans) turned out in numbers. I think it really helped with the performance we put in.

“It was a really good attacking display by some of the lads and we were silky and threw the ball about, and I think it got the fans buzzing.”

After missing last week’s game against Salford Red Devils through injury precaution, Farrell returned to Adrian Lam’s side on Friday and grabbed two tries and one assist.

And in the week he celebrated his 29th birthday, the second row was delighted to contribute to the win.

“It’s been a while since I got over, so to get two on one night is really good and it tops off a brilliant birthday week.”

You can watch the full interview with Farrell on Wigan TV by clicking HERE, [urlhttps://tv.wiganwarriors.com/][/url] as he talks about the 52-10 result and the need to continue momentum, whilst also looking to next week’s trip to local rivals St Helens.

Not signed up to Wigan TV? Simply follow THIS LINK to subscribe now, with game highlights and post-match interviews available, giving Wigan fans comprehensive coverage that you’ll not find anywhere else.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... Qi8eVh9.99