Lam extends

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: Lam extends

Post by bertina »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 pm I like that sense of perspective. It is after all just a game and let’s face it, it is really hard beating good teams.

Lam has inspired an extraordinary amount of loyalty and forgiveness among his many fans. Which is some skill. It is only a game after all, and we all follow the same team, so I appreciate different perspectives. I am staggered that no amount of defeats ever seems to be enough for anyone to doubt him, but if everyone else is happy that’s a good thing in the scheme of things.
Be perfectly honest. Do you think someone else could have done a lot better with the personnel Lam has had at his disposal.
I don’t .
It sounds like you have all the answers, please enlighten us all.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:41 pm Well they have given him Hastings on a marquee wage so it would be false economy to stop there with strengthening the squad.
And given now the cupboard is prop bare they’d better come up with something soon
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

You can look at tonight's performance from two very different views. Firstly, we've had a difficult season with a new coach, lots of missing players, players injured during the game and were beaten by the best team in the league. Alternatively, we're now further behind saints than we were in the first game of the season despite the fact that our new coach has been given the time he asked for. Perhaps the true position is somewhere between the two but we're all entitled to our opinion so let's just be tolerant of people with whom we disagree. If we can recover by beating wakey fourth place is still up for grabs. I just wish we had been able to do more to replace Gabe and Tautai this season and I wish I had more confidence that our squad will be stronger next.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:41 pm Well they have given him Hastings on a marquee wage so it would be false economy to stop there with strengthening the squad.
And given now the cupboard is prop bare they’d better come up with something soon
Absolutely. No props, not pots. (And if anyone is in any doubt we don't have any props worth the title).
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I disagree I think that Flower is a good prop.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I have been critical of Lam but I am willing to give him a chance given the issues we have had. The chairman needs to back him.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Lam could head home and leave a cardboard cut out of himself and would be safe in his job till next year. As a lone voice here, I can see there is no one of any significance even expecting him to win any hard games, or show any level of improvement this year. Where were the desperation levels of motivation? Nowhere to be seen. Where were the attacking plots? Where was the astute use of the players available? This was our third defeat against Saints, without getting close to being competitive, with 90% of the squad which won the Grand Final. If the test is
now - find an excuse and let him off - then it would be impossible for any coach to fail it. Eric Hughes could have passed that test.

Leaving aside all the many excuses that his defenders roll out for him, what has he done to show that he is good enough to coach us?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:20 am Lam could head home and leave a cardboard cut out of himself and would be safe in his job till next year. As a lone voice here, I can see there is no one of any significance even expecting him to win any hard games, or show any level of improvement this year. Where were the desperation levels of motivation? Nowhere to be seen. Where were the attacking plots? Where was the astute use of the players available? This was our third defeat against Saints, without getting close to being competitive, with 90% of the squad which won the Grand Final. If the test is
now - find an excuse and let him off - then it would be impossible for any coach to fail it. Eric Hughes could have passed that test.

Leaving aside all the many excuses that his defenders roll out for him, what has he done to show that he is good enough to coach us?
I've said it before, you better put yourself forward for the coaching job at Wigan with all your coaching credentials, ideas & know how!!

All you bloody armchair coaches do my head in! If your so fecking good at coaching top grade RL, apply for the job! No, I thought not! Just full of criticism.

We played the top team of the season with a depleted squad. No experienced forwards, three teenagers, umpteen injuries & a ref who cannot see forward passes or off side.

All you have done from day one is give grief about the coach, when it should be aimed at the men at the top with their recruitment drive or lack of it!

Hastings will be here for the year, because we have a management that gives every player a get out clause! WTF? 😡
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Morning Josie, I know our views are miles apart, but what has he done to demonstrate that he is good enough to get the most out of the available players? Has he shown he can motivate them to perform to their best in big games? Has he shown any tactical acumen to cause problems to the good teams?

I know I am in a minority of one, and many on here would like him to have been given an even longer contract, but I would have thought that having shown no ability to motivate the players in big games, or pull off a single big game performance 20 odd games into the season should be cause for concern.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:58 am Morning Josie, I know our views are miles apart, but what has he done to demonstrate that he is good enough to get the most out of the available players? Has he shown he can motivate them to perform to their best in big games? Has he shown any tactical acumen to cause problems to the good teams?

I know I am in a minority of one, and many on here would like him to have been given an even longer contract, but I would have thought that having shown no ability to motivate the players in big games, or pull off a single big game performance 20 odd games into the season should be cause for concern.
I really don't see lack of motivation as the issue. Last week we completely stuffed a team that's been having some impressive results recently. Lammy's best decision with the Edwards, Hamlin, Tautai, Mullen, Williams issues might well have been to say that the club had dealt him a bum hand and gone home! Much as I hate to say it, Saints have built a strong team over a number of years without too many changes of personnel. And their defence is so quick I'd like to know what the likes of Walmesley are on because to be be in our faces second defender out is special (or offside?). Like others state on here, we need at least 2 big aggressive forwards - but that's been said for years now.