FINALLY Hastings is official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: FINALLY Hastings is official

Post by ancientnloyal »

We don’t need 6 halves
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:37 pm And Williams is leaving.

So ideally we still need another half back given Tommy and Sammut aren't getting any younger.
Always look on the bright side of life....?
So I take it you don't think we need bother looking and Tommy can go around again and Summat will fit into a team with Hastings?
For the first time ever, I really think you don't get it, Dave. We've signed a star player (by SL standards at the very least) and your immediate response, as always, is not to express your joy or positive response, but to question our next move.

That's how it seems to me, Dave. Your comments may or may not be valid, but it's a bit like your daughter is marrying the love of her life, and all you mention in your speech at the wedding is that he has a soup stain on his tie :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 pm Hastings may only stick around for a year, but that's a year of one of the best halves in Super League over the last couple of years and a year in which we can look for another suitable half if necessary.

If you look at some of highly rated players that clubs sign you aren't always guaranteed to be able to keep them for very long regardless of the contract they sign. The better the player the more likely it is that they will be snared by an NRL side.

Next year it looks like we'll have Hastings, Leuluai, Sammut, Shorrocks, Woods and Smith to fight for places in the halves, unless any are allowed to leave. Hopefully that's enough competition and depth for us.
👍

Didn't we used to sign players like Brett Kenny for less than a season?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:40 pm
Yes I saw that but what has it got to do with how partners hastings next season?
Because with Leuluai playing on it is more than likely he will partner Hastings no matter who or what you would like. When Hastings leaves to return to the NRL in a year's time, there is a remote possibility it will be for Wiliams returning if he fails to impress
Well “who are what I would like” is not TL going round for another year which is hardly a controversial opinion.

It’s a pity the inevitable has been confirmed that Williams is off as him playing six to Hastings seven would have been some partnership but I think your stretching it a bit to suggest it’s a possibility he will be back after a year should Hastings leave. I certainly hope the club isn’t banking on Williams failing so we have a half back for 2021. Hopefully Hastings will do the full two years anyway.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Why won't Sammut fit into a team with Hastings?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Im chuffed hes coming, he is a talent one I've enjoyed watching the (many) times wigan have played Salford this season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings 'turned down better offers' to sign for Wigan Warriors

Jackson Hastings rejected bigger offers from elsewhere to sign a marquee deal with Wigan.

The Salford halfback has signed a two-year deal from 2020 - but with a get-out clause giving him the option of leaving for the NRL after one year.

His arrival as George Williams' replacement was confirmed by the club on a busy evening, having previously confirmed Adrian Lam will be staying on and Dan Sarginson will leave.

Warriors' executive director Kris Radlinski said Hastings has already underlined his commitment to Wigan by turning down more attractive offers elsewhere.

“This a hugely significant signing for Wigan Warriors," he said. "In Jackson Hastings, we have secured the services of one of the most sought-after talents in the game, having fought off interest from around Super League and in the NRL.

"Jackson has a burning desire to win things in England and that ultimately lead to him joining us and turning down bigger money elsewhere.

“His attacking nous with ball-in-hand and his running game have lit up the Betfred Super League since he’s arrival in the UK in 2018. Furthermore, I believe his leadership and influence will play a big role for us in 2020 and beyond.

“Not only are we excited to see what he can bring to us on the pitch and on the training paddock, we are looking forward to seeing how Jackson immerses himself with the Wigan Warriors community and how he engages with our loyal fan-base as one of the league’s most recognisable and popular personalities.”

Hastings will become the third marquee player in Wigan’s history when he moves to the club next season.

Clubs are currently allowed up to two marquee players, in which a portion of their wages – £150,000, or £75,000 if club-trained like Sam Tomkins and George Williams – counts on the £2m salary cap limit, even though they may be paid much more.

Hastings split from Manly last year but revived his career with Salford, helping steer them to Super League survival.

Adrian Lam, who knew him from the Sydney Roosters, was keen to get him on board for this season but Hastings stayed loyal to the Red Devils and has continued to impress this season, attracting interest from Leeds as well as the Warriors.

Although I am looking forward to an exciting new chapter in my move to Wigan in 2020, I intend to finish my term on a good note with the Salford Red Devils," he said.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/jackso ... -1-9864979
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Hastings is a top draw signing first one in a long time

we still need 1-2 good signings IMO though
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:15 am Hastings is a top draw signing first one in a long time

we still need 1-2 good signings IMO though
I tend to agree it’s a great signing take nothing away from the club in that but it can’t be a isolated one,make a statement of intent to the rest of SL
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

A marquee prop forward. We are Wigan, we can afford it
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame