Saints v WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Skints v WIGAN

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 am
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 pm Tonight went pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Saints have the best pack in Super League right now and it was nearly at full strength and packed with experience. If anyone was genuinely expecting us to win I worry about them.
I stopped reading right there.

You expected us to lose. So did I. When was such an expectation acceptable and why do we have it?

It's not about who is currently injured. With whatever anyone considers the first 17 we'd have expected to lose.
It’s not Dave. Whilst the score line may have been expected, we have been lulled into a false sense of security with our recent performances.We need to be much better and the powers that be need to take action.
They probably think they have by signing Hastings.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's almost like you just like arguing, Dave! :lol:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am staggered by the all time low level of expectation on here. I remember times when Wane was in charge when failing to win with attractive rugby was a reason to call for his head. Likewise, when we had Noble failing to get the most out of the squad available the calls for him to be sacked were deafening. Now, we are lining up with our autograph books outside Langtree Park while Saints aspire to win the treble.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Having just watched the 2 minute highlights on WiganTV several things come to mind.
The first try was 2 yards forward as even the Stains pair conceded when it was scored.
Even our one try was not constructed.
Hardaker should be playing for Man U the way he kicked the ball up the field, or at least Wigan Athletic.
The one thing that most clearly showed the difference between the two sides was the way Kyle Amor made 15 yards with 3! Wigan forwards unable to stop him leading directly to the second try as Mills and Bilko shuddered.
Predictive text wanted to change that last word to suffered which is just as true.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

The fact that lam thought shorrocks was worthy of a bench spot for a game like that is a bit worrying.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Mickw wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:40 am The fact that lam thought shorrocks was worthy of a bench spot for a game like that is a bit worrying.
Sammut should have been on the bench just to give experience cannot get my head around some of Lam's team selection ?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wigan gave them a game in the first half there was nothing in it until Skints scored just before half time .We had a depleted pack and packs wins games Skints first try was a mile forward and they were fortunate in the second half with the charge down try and the kick throughs Burgess knocking on and gifting Skints with a try .Biggest factor to me with the scoreline clicking up we did not let them score for the last 15 mins when you would have expected them to rattle up points .If we had Clubb ,Flower,Greenwood and Lockers playing last night would have been a different ball game.Take nothing away from Saints they are well coached they are aggressive in defense quick off the mark and into your face all the time .Their attack was brilliant there were 4 players backing up our attack one man rugby no one in support .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:09 am I am staggered by the all time low level of expectation on here. I remember times when Wane was in charge when failing to win with attractive rugby was a reason to call for his head. Likewise, when we had Noble failing to get the most out of the squad available the calls for him to be sacked were deafening. Now, we are lining up with our autograph books outside Langtree Park while Saints aspire to win the treble.
Regardless of what's happened during the season there should never have been an expectation to win that game. It's completely unrealistic.

DaveO's point about expecting to lose even with a full strength pack out is a fair one. Perhaps that would have been the case.

However, we didn't have a full strength pack out. We had a makeshift pack without 6 from the start of the season and without 4 who will hopefully return this year. We had teenagers playing in the middle of the field and having to play long minutes against Saints front row which contains two international standard props.

If fans are going to be critical of the coach I'd say most have the common sense not to use this game as a reason for it.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

jaws1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 am
Mickw wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:40 am The fact that lam thought shorrocks was worthy of a bench spot for a game like that is a bit worrying.
Sammut should have been on the bench just to give experience cannot get my head around some of Lam's team selection ?
I think Shorrocks was there because he's covered hooker this season and leaves the option of Leuluai remaining in the halves where he's doing well. It also doesn't help that against Rovers Sammut's defence was awful (and that was a game in which we were coasting!). Put Sammut in the side against Saints and we've got a big weakness. I didn't think Shorrocks defended that badly. I doubt either would have been expected to play and would only have been on the bench in case someone got injured, which unfortunately Tommy did.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 am
jaws1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 am
I think Shorrocks was there because he's covered hooker this season and leaves the option of Leuluai remaining in the halves where he's doing well. It also doesn't help that against Rovers Sammut's defence was awful (and that was a game in which we were coasting!). Put Sammut in the side against Saints and we've got a big weakness. I didn't think Shorrocks defended that badly. I doubt either would have been expected to play and would only have been on the bench in case someone got injured, which unfortunately Tommy did.
Have to agree about Sammut defence he isn’t good at it and as you say against KR he was made to look like a mug,perhaps it’s begining to come clear why a player with a certain amount of talent hasn’t been playing in the top flight year on year through his career