Saints v WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Skints v WIGAN

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm Any injury news from those that went to the match?

WISH reported knocks to Navarette, Tommy, Budgie, Powell and Bullock.
Budgie damaged his shoulder. Bullock has Injured his knee
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Tonight went pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Saints have the best pack in Super League right now and it was nearly at full strength and packed with experience. If anyone was genuinely expecting us to win I worry about them. If they were expecting us to keep the score close I'd say they were being optimistic but within reason.

Thompson and Walmsley started that game up against Partington and Navarrete. There's no comparison between the starting packs. Young forwards are rarely capable of playing outstanding games week after week and it was always likely for Saints to be on top.

It was a decent effort. Saints did fluff some good opportunities which could have taken the score further away but we also defended well. The disruption with Leulaui, Budgie, Bullock and Navarrete taking knocks throughout the game didn't help.

All in all the reality is we will struggle with what we've got in the front row right now. Expecting us to batter Wakefield next week would be unrealistic. It's probably going to be a real struggle. Hopefully though there will be players returning by the end of the month and maybe some new faces coming in because we need it.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

The attack was that bad at times it was embarrassing, no one had a clue what to do.
Thought Williams had a shocker and shorrocks should be nowhere near the time, offers nothing.
Why sign sammutt? He was kicking before start of the game so thought he was playing, could of done with his experience
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 pm Tonight went pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Saints have the best pack in Super League right now and it was nearly at full strength and packed with experience. If anyone was genuinely expecting us to win I worry about them.
I stopped reading right there.

You expected us to lose. So did I. When was such an expectation acceptable and why do we have it?

It's not about who is currently injured. With whatever anyone considers the first 17 we'd have expected to lose.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The size of Saints was the thing for me,I leaned in to my wife and said to her “this could be a long night”,she answered “you think!!!!!!”
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 pm The size of Saints was the thing for me,I leaned in to my wife and said to her “this could be a long night”,she answered “you think!!!!!!”
But the fact we have no size is obvious. So why is nothing done about it?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm
doc wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm Any injury news from those that went to the match?

Budgie damaged his shoulder. Bullock has an issue but not sure what
Budgie had abit of mare tonight
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Budgie damaged his shoulder. Bullock has an issue but not sure what
Budgie had abit of mare tonight
Which is nothing new
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 pm Tonight went pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Saints have the best pack in Super League right now and it was nearly at full strength and packed with experience. If anyone was genuinely expecting us to win I worry about them.
I stopped reading right there.

You expected us to lose. So did I. When was such an expectation acceptable and why do we have it?

It's not about who is currently injured. With whatever anyone considers the first 17 we'd have expected to lose.
It’s not Dave. Whilst the score line may have been expected, we have been lulled into a false sense of security with our recent performances.We need to be much better and the powers that be need to take action.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

It didnt feel like a loss for me as strange as that sounds. Firstly apart from the smoke at the start our fans was great it' was one of the best atmospheres second half, it felt like we was winning.
We started great and first 15 was the better team. Saints got on top when Tommy got caught trying to hit Grace. Instead of keeping him on the physio got him over the touchline, if he had treated him on field the game would have stopped instead saints spread it and we was a man shorr. We also subbed Romain who was giving the Saints forwards a run for their money. How good are Smities and Partington well the score was 6-4 until they departed Walmsely made little impact Partington cut him down a few times. They do need to find more yards but I imagine that will come.
Our halves played behind no go forward and we seemed to be on the wrong end of every bounce and call.
As much as I would love Shorrocks to be a world beater it was a wasted bench spot Wells or another young forward would be the call if Sammut was injured?
Burgess was exposed both tries down his side we was caught a man down firstly with Tommy being off and second when I think Gildart slipped?
That apart the first half was pretty even.
Second half they got on top but scores was scrappy rather than quality.
Zak was good Sarge and Gilly busy our halves didnt do much with ball but all the team bent the back and tacked hard. Saints fans seemed to be of the opinion that they was missing Roby and would of stuffed us with him.
We are a better team with the addition of Manfredi, Greenwood, Lockers, Flower and Clubb. We was a forward down before the season started to what I would have liked the loss of Hamlin has added to that also T to a lesser degree. If all the forwards was fit I make it only Faz ,and Powell would be guaranteed spots out of our 9 who started the game.
Saints was better but I still don't think they are a special team with an addition and fit pack I still fancy us.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!