Remember when...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Remember when...

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

pedro wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 pm I made that video... when I didn’t have kids...
well done pal...miss GeoffN
I was hoping the owner would come forward ancient nice work

I miss turf!

Also goes to show that posters weren’t always downbeat, sometimes gets touted that fans would never be happy but clearly fans were very happy at this point
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 pm I made that video... when I didn’t have kids...
well done pal...miss GeoffN
I was hoping the owner would come forward ancient nice work

I miss turf!

Also goes to show that posters weren’t always downbeat, sometimes gets touted that fans would never be happy but clearly fans were very happy at this point
I miss Turfs colourful stories about his bus driver mate also Waterside Glens as well
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I very much doubt that. There are a number of key factors here. We have 7 clubs capable of spending as much as us, from a smaller pool of talent, with the NRL wages relatively so much higher.
Well Saints have managed it. Why is that?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Care to take a look at our respective records over the last decade? We have been far more successful than Saints.
Occasionally, teams get lucky with overseas players, and players emerging out of nowhere, but if you swapped an excellent coach in Holbrook with an out of his depth one like Lam then we would be at least as good as Saints even now. By this time next year, we will both have new coaches (as even Lam’s many supporters will one day concede that coming away from defeats against Saints being happy that our team has learnt some lessons is nowhere near good enough), and we will be beating them again.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Care to take a look at our respective records over the last decade? We have been far more successful than Saints.
Occasionally, teams get lucky with overseas players, and players emerging out of nowhere, but if you swapped an excellent coach in Holbrook with an out of his depth one like Lam then we would be at least as good as Saints even now. By this time next year, we will both have new coaches (as even Lam’s many supporters will one day concede that coming away from defeats against Saints being happy that our team has learnt some lessons is nowhere near good enough), and we will be beating them again.
We are not talking about the last decade but assembling a squad under current salary cap rules for this season and beyond comparable to the Wigan squad mentioned by the O/P.

You made the excuses that other teams can spend as much as us, less players are available and competition from the NRL.

Well Saints have managed to overcome these obstacles to assemble a better squad than we have and they also have a better coach. We have no excuses for not doing the same.

We on the other hand extend deals for players like Clubb, make panic signings like Sarge and Sammut, seemingly have no idea how to replace Lockers and have signed two players who aren’t even regulars in the current teams first 17.

A new coach, which we aren’t getting for at least another season won’t fix squad mismanagement on this level. In any case if you don’t rate the coach he’s is appointment is just another symptom of the same issue.

The current “strategy” as far as recruitment goes appears to be to fling cash at a star player another SL club found and hope for the best.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I answered your question. This year they look stronger, but over the last decade we have clearly had better squads. They are temporarily better because they have a vastly superior coach, and have struck lucky with their overseas players and 2 massive forwards developing far better than could have been expected. If Holbrook leaves, and when Lam is sacked, it will only take a good coach and Smithies and Partington to realise their vast potential and we will be at their level again.

I have also highlighted the key difference between the past and the present.

You are welcome. 😇
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think Holbrook is a better coach than Lam, but to suggest he would works wonders with our squad is stretching it. Saints have a better squad than we do. In fact, so do Wire. And maybe Cas and Hull too...
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Holbrook reminds me of Madge. Knows how to play to a good system, high tempo and gets the best out of his players.
Also helps when you’ve got a decent set of players and balanced squad.
Holbrook would probably do better at Wigan than lam as he is a better coach, but still wouldn’t be absolute top as our squad isn’t the as good as saints.
We do need a bigger pack, we do have some big lads but O’Loughlin retiring is well overdue, Greenwood is always injured and clubb has the movement of s pensioner.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:08 pm I answered your question. This year they look stronger, but over the last decade we have clearly had better squads. They are temporarily better because they have a vastly superior coach, and have struck lucky with their overseas players and 2 massive forwards developing far better than could have been expected. If Holbrook leaves, and when Lam is sacked, it will only take a good coach and Smithies and Partington to realise their vast potential and we will be at their level again.

I have also highlighted the key difference between the past and the present.

You are welcome. 😇
”Vastly superior coach” who has won nothing yet.
What does that make Shaun Wane who most on here wanted rid of?
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Care to take a look at our respective records over the last decade? We have been far more successful than Saints.
We are not talking about the last decade but assembling a squad under current salary cap rules for this season and beyond comparable to the Wigan squad mentioned by the O/P.

You made the excuses that other teams can spend as much as us, less players are available and competition from the NRL.

Well Saints have managed to overcome these obstacles to assemble a better squad than we have and they also have a better coach. We have no excuses for not doing the same.

We on the other hand extend deals for players like Clubb, make panic signings like Sarge and Sammut, seemingly have no idea how to replace Lockers and have signed two players who aren’t even regulars in the current teams first 17.

A new coach, which we aren’t getting for at least another season won’t fix squad mismanagement on this level. In any case if you don’t rate the coach he’s is appointment is just another symptom of the same issue.

The current “strategy” as far as recruitment goes appears to be to fling cash at a star player another SL club found and hope for the best.
Well Dave how should we approach our recruitment “strategy”.? Should we rely purely on our superb academy,or should we go scouting for top class NRL players as many on here have suggested.OOPS wouldn’t that be flinging cash at a star player that some other club found.Oh dear perhaps we shouldn’t have signed Jackson Hastings.