Referee for Thursday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Referee for Thursday

Post by josie andrews »

WIGAN WARRIORS V WAKEFIELD TRINITY
Thursday 18th July
DW Stadium | KO : 19:45

Referee R. Hicks

Touch Judge 1 M. Griffiths
Touch Judge 2 J. Child
Reserve Referee A. Moore
Reserve Touch Judge A. Smith
Video Referee B. Thaler
M Com K. Leyland
Time Keeper F. Hawley
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Referee for Thursday

Post by Southern Softy »

Welcome back to the wonderful world of television and referees who are greatly inferior to the ones we've seen recently.
Don't the people who run SL realise how p****d off ordinary fans get with this allocation of officials?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Hicks Fu==== me the worst ref in super league, well the players will get lots of breaks while he keeps blowing his whistle and stopping the game every 3 minutes . :twisted: :twisted:
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Well at least it won't be a running battle with O'Loughlin. :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I genuinely rate both Hicks and Childs..
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm Hicks Fu==== me the worst ref in super league, well the players will get lots of breaks while he keeps blowing his whistle and stopping the game every 3 minutes . :twisted: :twisted:
Thats what does my head in ddt....... the constant stopping of the game..... then when one side gets a lot of pens, he gives the opposition there share of needless pens to even up the stats
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Our week just got worse
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Oh bugger
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hicks is tolerable I find, just.
Childs is truly dreadful and in quite a few games has cost teams a win with his dreadful decisions.
Agree that some of these lesser known refs have been quite ok this past few weeks. Perhaps when they are on tv they get specific instructions from their senior on how to "manage" the game!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The real point is to look at why it is only some referees who seem to be perpetually engaged in verbal battles with players.
All players let off steam and they all think every decision for them is correct and every one against is wrong - it's called human nature. Good referees make fewer mistakes and can defuse most problems with a word on the run. Any one of the refs in the last few weeks could be named here.
Bad ones like Hicks make mistakes for both sides and then get officious when players get fed up and complain. The players saying nothing doesn't make the referee any better either. Players get annoyed when they can't follow the referee's reasoning or when mistakes are being made all the time. Hicks, these days, begins on the defensive and treats players like schoolkids from the word go. Waving a big stick (metaphorically) doesn't make you a good referee - it's just playing to officialdom.
All that being said, I hope he has a good game and we don't have to spend the next day discussing his shortcomings.