Great piece in the Mirror on Zak Hardaker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Great piece in the Mirror on Zak Hardaker

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker swaps nightclubs for golf clubs and is reaping the rewards on the field

Wigan full-back has looked back to his best recently as Warriors mount play-offs push

Zak Hardaker has swapped nightclubs for golf clubs - and says he is close to returning to his 2017 peak as a result.

Two seasons ago the 27-year-old was voted the second best player in Super League by his peers, after playing a key role in the dominant Castleford team that won the League Leaders’ Shield.

Then his career started to unravel as he was suspended for a positive cocaine test on the eve of the Grand Final, served a 14 month ban and was then caught drink driving before playing a game for new club Wigan.

But the Warriors stood by their signing with Hardaker vowing to change his ways off the field - and the full-back has repaid them with a season of consistency. In recent weeks he has looked back to his best - and he says a complete change in lifestyle has played its part.

Hardaker said: “It’s been a different life experience - the way I look at it now, the stuff I used to do was silly.

"Me and my girlfriend are really happy over here and although you do miss home, being away from some of the distractions there has been brilliant for me. Wigan have been great as a club - they were even texting Elisha to check we were both alright when I didn’t know about it.

I’ve got fitter and lost weight and am pretty much back to where I was in 2017 - I’m a little bit bigger but I’ve got the same speed and I’m stronger in the gym now.

I wanted to be a Man of Steel nominee again this year but that hasn’t worked out for a number of reasons. But I don’t think I’ve played poorly once and that was important for me.”

Hardaker’s performances have been part of a Wigan revival that saw them win five games in a row before Friday’s derby defeat to St Helens, and they now face Wakefield on Thursday.

He added: “We need to turn up with the same mindset when we beat Hull KR recently - Wakefield will be desperate for a win and we need to be ready.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... s-18330876
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Great piece in the Mirror on Zak Hardaker

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Here is hoping that he has genuinely chosen to change, and that it will last. He has the potential to turn his life around. Good luck to him.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm Here is hoping that he has genuinely chosen to change, and that it will last. He has the potential to turn his life around. Good luck to him.
I agree.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Lets wait and see