Excited to be back: Wells

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Excited to be back: Wells

Post by josie andrews »

Jack Wells looks ahead to his return to a Wigan Warriors squad since January 2018 after a frustrating time out with injury.

The 21-year-old was named in Thursday’s 19-man squad to face Wakefield Trinity at the DW Stadium.

Wells: “Every player goes through those obstacles and set backs throughout their career - it’s how you come back from them that matters most.”

Jack Wells says he has prepared himself steadily to make his return to the Wigan Warriors squad as he was named in the 19-man squad to face Wakefield Trinity on Thursday night.

The 21-year-old suffered a broken bone in his foot in a pre-season friendly against Leigh Centurions in January 2018 and has not played for Wigan since, but after being named in this week’s squad for the first time in 18 months, Wells stated how pleased he is at the prospect of being back involved.

He said: “I’m just taking every week as it comes. I had 15 months out and then had more complications with my ankle in pre-season, so I’m just excited to be back.

“Every player goes through those obstacles and set backs throughout their career - it’s how you come back from them that matters most.”

After graduating from the Club’s Academy, Wells made his Wigan debut in 2016 and has played 16 games in total throughout his debut year and 2017.

Despite it being his first selection in Adrian Lam’s 19-man squad this campaign, the second row has been picking up match fitness on dual registration at Swinton Lions.

“It’s been great,” he said. “I’ve been getting fitter every week. I’m still not quite there for that level expected at Super League, but it takes time.

“I’m enjoying my time with Swinton; it will be a club I will always be thankful to because without them I wouldn’t be playing games to get fit. I like the players and the staff; they’ve made me feel very welcome.”

In June this year, Wells signed a new two-year contract with the Warriors.

On penning a new deal with his hometown Club, he said: “I just need to get back match fit, but signing for next year has taken a lot of weight off my shoulders.”

At the time of the announcement, Wigan Executive Director, Kris Radlinksi, commented: “In Jack, we have an extremely talented player in our ranks. We have supported him through a difficult period of injuries and rewarded him for his commitment and hard-work to battle back from injury with a new deal.”

And despite playing for Swinton this year, the forward has been training daily with the Warriors first team squad and he travelled to St Helens last week with the squad as he was refreshed with matchday pre-kick off preparations.

He stated: “It was good to be back in that environment; warming up with the lads and getting back into the swing of things.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... ZbdSIfh.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Excited to be back: Wells

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He’s a good lad Jack, I hope he gets some good luck. He could be very important to us over the next few years.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Re: Excited to be back: Wells

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:13 pm He’s a good lad Jack, I hope he gets some good luck. He could be very important to us over the next few years.
👍🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan