Wigan vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Great grandad Harry ball

Re: Wigan vs Wakefield

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

Excellent first half, Wakefield started second half with some slowing down,lying on and mauling at the play the ball that was allowed to continue by Hicks. Game became scrappy as a result and with no right winger Hampshire managed a couple of kick through tries.
Left side attack good, Williams good in most of game, young lads did well. Sammutt provided variety, Hardacker excellent and good goal kicking, Farrell back to form.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That was a wonderful evening’s entertainment.
Defensive structure, resilience, attacking structure and game management all out of the top drawer.
Fantastic to see so many young guns looking at home. The club (and the town’s) investment in youth paid off big style tonight. Wakefield bore no resemblance to the side that often causes us major problems, but our performance left them very few places to go.
Superb!
With 2 weeks to work hard on combinations and recovery, we need to make every day count. It would be wonderful to see us play like that against a strong side. Maybe...
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The attack was far faster and more fluent with Sammut at scrum half. He also has a proper kicking game and uses it well to control the game. Our game management was best of the season so far.
Farrell transforms the left side when he plays. His three tries were well deserved for the effort and creativity he brought to our game.
A good first half taking advantage of a very lethargic Wakefield. Second half was scrappy and Lam started putting his interchanges into overdrive.
Having heard the Wakey team and ours on the radio I was worried about us getting the win.
We were excellent first half but Wakefield were dreadful.
That's where we won the game.
DaveO

Wigan vs Wakefield

Post by DaveO »

Watching the highlights Williams got three assists with three great little passes to put players in.

Gildarts length of the field effort was great.

Chester’s face was a picture after the Sammut interception and I don’t suppose it was much different for Shorrocks try either.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Williams' assists were fine, but Jeez, the holes Wakey left in their defensive line! They really were very poor, and frankly the game was over after 15 minutes with the Warriors 18-0 up. But we executed pretty well in attack, and defended well for the most part. I was surprised, and pleased, that our many missing senior players didn't appear to be missed too much, and our young forwards really did us proud. Faz really stood up, though. Like he does, being the class player he is. Sammut organised and kicked well, and showed good hands to hang on to his interception, Luckily for him, he wasn't chased this week! :lol: (although saying that, at least he showed good composure the other week to put Gildart in). With Hull and Cats both on negative points difference, a good night's work for Wigan.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought many of the assists fans about because of the speed and momentum earlier in the sets, if you only see the tries you fail to appreciate the tempo and purpose with which we moved down the field. Was v impressed with the new Powell and what Sammut brought to the party. Surely he has done enough to warrant a run in the side.

Finally, we seem to have a golden generation of juniors coming through. Smithies, Partington and Havard all look good to go to me. All in all, a triumph for club, team and coach.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Blimey! Cheerfully admit I didn't see this one coming.
The things that pleased me the most (apart from Faz - Gildart's try etc.etc.) were Sammut's tactical kicking (mostly) and the fact that for the first time in living memory, we harassed their kicker on the last tackle. Makes all the difference when a kicker has to rush his effort and not just have all the time in the world to choose their options.
Thought Hardaker and Isa had their best games in a long time Marshall did a lot of important work making yards in the early tackles.
Very impressive.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Good performance.....exciting rugby...... i can see smithies and byrne etc becoming awesome players....... i thought zac and isa were everywhere....... faz and george were 9/10 and the new powell is far far better....... if i had to be critical i think we lacked speed on the right wing and it cost us twice....... pity they both centres but hey ho....... keep up the good work lammy....... i honestly think SW would have produced less wins this season, given our injuries........ who knows
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Should we make a offer for Tupou and Fifta?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am Good performance.....exciting rugby...... i can see smithies and byrne etc becoming awesome players....... i thought zac and isa were everywhere....... faz and george were 9/10 and the new powell is far far better....... if i had to be critical i think we lacked speed on the right wing and it cost us twice....... pity they both centres but hey ho....... keep up the good work lammy....... i honestly think SW would have produced less wins this season, given our injuries........ who knows
Hankinson is a second rower / centre so he can be forgiven for not having the best speed. He looked solid under the high ball, made some good meters etc.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."