Wigan Warriors' Thomas Leuluai on course to play on... but will Sean O'Loughlin?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Thomas Leuluai on course to play on... but will Sean O'Loughlin?

Post by josie andrews »

Thomas Leuluai looks set to play on in 2020.

And coach Adrian Lam also wants his captain, Sean O’Loughlin, to defer retirement by at least another season.

The Wigan squad is taking shape for next season following last week’s capture of Jackson Hastings, who will join Salford team-mate Jake Bibby and Castleford prop Mitch Clark at the club, and confirmation Dan Sarginson and George Williams will be departing for pastures new.

But the futures of Leuluai, 34, and O’Loughlin, 36, have not been finalised and both have said this year they would make a call on their futures in the summer.

Both are out-of-contract at the end of the season but Lam has cast some light on their positions.

“I know Kris (Radlinski, executive director) has spoken to both,” said Lam.

“I think Tommy has agreed and has yet to sign, whereas Lockers is undecided – but I leave that to them and the club to sort out.

“But in regards to me I’d be happy with both doing one more year.

They’re obviously two of the most experienced players in the competition and stalwarts of this club.”

O’Loughlin is currently sidelined by an Achilles injury but should return later this month.

And Lam has been pleased with the form of both senior players.

“Lockers has played more than many people realise, until a week or two ago he was top-four for minutes on the field,” he said.

“And Tommy has been one of the highlights of the year for me so far, he’s the backbone of the team.

When we’ve struggled he’s turned up and he’s been open to suggestions.

“I know a lot of the halves fear getting the ball when Tommy is jamming in defence – in the Hull KR game a couple weeks ago, Drinkwater got absolutely smoked!

“I wouldn’t be running at him, that’s for sure.”

Both O’Loughlin and Leuluai have deals which will see them offered roles on the coaching staff when they hang up their boots

Lam wants to bolster his prop options before the August 9 transfer deadline

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9884502
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Re: Wigan Warriors' Thomas Leuluai on course to play on... but will Sean O'Loughlin?

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:19 pm Thomas Leuluai looks set to play on in 2020.

And coach Adrian Lam also wants his captain, Sean O’Loughlin, to defer retirement by at least another season.

The Wigan squad is taking shape for next season following last week’s capture of Jackson Hastings, who will join Salford team-mate Jake Bibby and Castleford prop Mitch Clark at the club, and confirmation Dan Sarginson and George Williams will be departing for pastures new.

But the futures of Leuluai, 34, and O’Loughlin, 36, have not been finalised and both have said this year they would make a call on their futures in the summer.

Both are out-of-contract at the end of the season but Lam has cast some light on their positions.

“I know Kris (Radlinski, executive director) has spoken to both,” said Lam.

“I think Tommy has agreed and has yet to sign, whereas Lockers is undecided – but I leave that to them and the club to sort out.

“But in regards to me I’d be happy with both doing one more year.

They’re obviously two of the most experienced players in the competition and stalwarts of this club.”

O’Loughlin is currently sidelined by an Achilles injury but should return later this month.

And Lam has been pleased with the form of both senior players.

“Lockers has played more than many people realise, until a week or two ago he was top-four for minutes on the field,” he said.

“And Tommy has been one of the highlights of the year for me so far, he’s the backbone of the team.

When we’ve struggled he’s turned up and he’s been open to suggestions.

“I know a lot of the halves fear getting the ball when Tommy is jamming in defence – in the Hull KR game a couple weeks ago, Drinkwater got absolutely smoked!

“I wouldn’t be running at him, that’s for sure.”

Both O’Loughlin and Leuluai have deals which will see them offered roles on the coaching staff when they hang up their boots

Lam wants to bolster his prop options before the August 9 transfer deadline

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9884502
Well, you’re the one in the know with Lockers Josie, so, is he or isn’t he.
I may get slated on here, but I wouldn’t be too upset if he did.
What he brings when he plays is hard to replace. Especially with all the promising young forwards we have coming through.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan Warriors' Thomas Leuluai on course to play on... but will Sean O'Loughlin?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Please don’t play on.

Thanks
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Top 4 for minutes until a week or two ago, surely not?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 am Top 4 for minutes until a week or two ago, surely not?
I find that hard to believe too

*using stats from love rugby league

it says that Lockers has played 12 games as a starter and 6 as a sub - thats a total of 18 6 of which he hasnt played 80mins for sure and the other 12 he probably wouldnt have either

We have had a lot of disruption in the back line but still

Zak - 22 games
Gilly - 24 games
Tommy- 22 games
Sarge -17 games (but youd expect they were 80min stints)
Marshall - 16 Games (but youd expect they were 80min stints)

Its harder to look into the forwards because their stint time varies but i cannot see this stat being correct sounds to me more like Wigan trying to justify wheeling lockers around again
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It wouldn't bother me if Lockers played in 2020 as I don't think Smithies is experienced enough to do a full season at loose. Having Morgan and Lockers on the field at the same time could help too.

What I don't get is Tommy going round again if we've signed French to play in the halves. TL is OOC and we have Sammut as back up with Smith an option we felt he's ready.

Unless French has been signed not to play in the halves.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

As ever, with recruitment, you need to see the whole picture. We need a pack leading nasty prop. If it is a choice between that and Lockers then the prop would be better for us. If we can have both, then that could work. What has changed this year is that we now have Smithies, who can step into the back row full time at the end of next year. That makes this a much less fraught question than at any other point in the last decade for mine.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Please god no
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm Please god no
I know you like him Meds, but no need to call him God... ;)
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:10 am It wouldn't bother me if Lockers played in 2020 as I don't think Smithies is experienced enough to do a full season at loose. Having Morgan and Lockers on the field at the same time could help too.

What I don't get is Tommy going round again if we've signed French to play in the halves. TL is OOC and we have Sammut as back up with Smith an option we felt he's ready.

Unless French has been signed not to play in the halves.
Has French been signed? I've seen a lot of rumours but nothing concrete as of yet. Getting Leuluai to resign would suggest not unless Sammut isn't staying on. Or maybe Lam wants to use Leuluai as hooker in rotation with Powell?