Boost for Wigan Warriors as FIVE players return from injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Boost for Wigan Warriors as FIVE players return from injury

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam could welcome back five internationals for Wigan's next game.

He says Sean O'Loughlin, Thomas Leuluai, Ben Flower, Joe Greenwood and Joe Burgess all have a chance of returning to face Hull FC on August 1.

They all missed last Thursday's game at Wakefield through injury, as a young pack featuring debutant Ethan Havard helped muscle the side to a 46-16 victory.

"It was important for me to get Ethan a game because with so many players returning, he may not have got one after this week," said Lam.

"It'll be good to have everyone back on board."

Captain O'Loughlin has battled an Achiles problem, prop Flower has had torn back ligaments, and forward Greenwood is free to resume playing following concussion protocols.

Leuluai and Burgess both missed out last Thursday with niggling injuries.

With so many front-line stars back in the mix, it will dial up competition for places in Lam's squad.

Havard and fellow young forward Liam Byrne would appear favourites to drop out of the mix.

With Leuluai back, it seems it would be a straight shoot-out between Jarrod Sammut and Jake Shorrocks for one bench spot.

And there will be competition for backrow spots as well.

If Willie Isa, Liam Farrell and O'Loughlin start, then it would leave Morgan Smithies, Chris Hankinson and Greenwood contesting one or two spots on the bench.

Prop Joe Bullock and wingers Tom Davies and Dom Manfredi remain sidelined, the latter two for the season.

Bullock will be hoping to recover from a knee injury in time to play again later this year

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/boost- ... -1-9890282
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Boost for Wigan Warriors as FIVE players return from injury

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd have them start with Sammut at 7 and TL on the bench. Even with all those forwards back we're not as big a pack as Hull and some those returning haven't played for weeks so we need pace in the backs. Sammut proved against Wakey that the back line is far faster and George has more room and plays much better when he's at 7.
Hull away is a big ask and team selection will be the key!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'd start with Leuluai to help take the hits from the big Hull forwards who'll be fresh in the opening 20 minutes, plus he's naturally a better defensive option than Sammut.
Leave him to come off the bench to run at those same Hull forwards later in the game. when they'll be tiring and gaps appearing, especially after a short turnaround for them.
Would obviously be a big help to have Flower and Greenwood returning, so we have to make the best out of this team selection.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Has greenwood ever played prop? His size could be useful and i dont see how you can realistically move faz from the left with how hes been playing.

This game is important alot of teams on the same points and losing could see us pushed out of playoff spots.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm Has greenwood ever played prop? His size could be useful and i dont see how you can realistically move faz from the left with how hes been playing.

This game is important alot of teams on the same points and losing could see us pushed out of playoff spots.
Yet another suggestion to move a player from his natural position. He should play on the right and keep Faz on the left.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:38 pm Has greenwood ever played prop? His size could be useful and i dont see how you can realistically move faz from the left with how hes been playing.

Yet another suggestion to move a player from his natural position. He should play on the right and keep Faz on the left.
Agreed
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It wasnt , it was a question on has he or not.

Faz was played on the right to accommodate greenwood, i will be disappointed if hes moved back to right to fit greenwood in again.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm I'd start with Leuluai to help take the hits from the big Hull forwards who'll be fresh in the opening 20 minutes, plus he's naturally a better defensive option than Sammut.
Leave him to come off the bench to run at those same Hull forwards later in the game. when they'll be tiring and gaps appearing, especially after a short turnaround for them.
Would obviously be a big help to have Flower and Greenwood returning, so we have to make the best out of this team selection.
I agree re Tommy and Sammut.
As for the question of second row, I would leave Greenwood on the bench, and hopefully when he came on he could have a similar impact as we hope Sammut will against tiring hull forwards.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Faz was played on the right to accommodate greenwood, i will be disappointed if hes moved back to right to fit greenwood in again.
Completely agree. Faz proved when he came back just how crucial he is on the left. In the long term perhaps Greenwood will take over from SOL.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Completely agree. Faz proved when he came back just how crucial he is on the left. In the long term perhaps Greenwood will take over from SOL.
Where would you put Smithies? Could he play over on the right? He will be looking for more game time next season.