Thankful to Swinton: Goulding

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Thankful to Swinton: Goulding

Post by josie andrews »

Darrell Goulding prasies Swinton Lions and the relationship with Wigan Warriors.

Both clubs have a dual-registration deal that sees young Wigan players gain valuable game time in the Betfred Championship.

Goulding: “The relationship has been going for a few years now and it’s gone from strength to strength.”

Wigan Warriors first team coach Darrell Goulding has praised Swinton Lions for providing a platform for young players to gain vital match experience.

Both Wigan and Swinton have developed a close relationship over recent years that has seen the likes of Liam Marshall, Chris Hankinson and Ollie Partington play at Heywood Road either on dual-registration or on loan to increase fitness and prepare for progression into the Warriors first team.

And Goulding has stated it is an ‘easy transition’ for current Wigan players to adapt to the Betfred Championship club’s surroundings because of the similar values it has to those of the Warriors.

“It’s a very important link we have with Swinton,” he said: “We know we can send our players there and know they are going to a good environment.

The relationship has been going for a few years now and it’s gone from strength to strength. There’s a freedom of trust between both teams, as we try to help each other out and look after each other, which is working really well.

“A lot of our lads have performed really well there this year. They’re going into a place where the club has similar cultures to what we have here at Wigan – they’ve got some past players there too and it’s an easy transition for our lads.

“Stuart Littler is a very good coach and the locality of it is a big help too – the players can stay with the Wigan first team for most of the week and then they go and play minutes for Swinton.”

Swinton Lions Chairman, Andy Mazey, added: “The partnership with Wigan has worked really well once again this year. We operate on a tight budget in a competitive competition, so it gives us the opportunity to add more quality to our squad with some real up and coming playing talent and potential stars of the future.

“The relationship is based on mutual trust and respect, and the players are treated like part of our family while they are with us.”

One of the Wigan players who has enjoyed time at the Lions this year is second row Jack Wells. The 21-year-old suffered a broken bone in his foot in January 2018 and has not played for the Warriors since.

After 15 months out, Wells has picked up valuable match fitness on dual-registration at Swinton, something which he is grateful for.

He commented: “I’m enjoying it at Swinton. I like the players and the staff, and everyone has made me feel very welcome. I like playing there and it will be a club to remember for me.

They were the ones who brought me in after being out for so long and I’ll be forever thankful to them. Without them I wouldn’t be playing any games to get match fit.”

Other players who have been involved on dual-registration or on loan this season include Liam Byrne, Samy Kibula, Craig Mullen and Harry Smith.

Mazey said: “We take great pride in seeing young professionals like Liam Byrne progress to first grade with the Warriors. The physical nature of the Championship undoubtedly helps prepare the lads and gives them invaluable experience of playing against men and seasoned professionals.”

Prop forward Byrne, who has featured five times for Adrian Lam this year, commented: “Playing a few games for Swinton has probably been the best for me. It’s made me hungrier to stake a claim in the first team at Wigan.”

With a Reserve Grade competition set to be relaunched in 2020, the dual-registration and loan systems will remain unaffected and former Wigan winger Goulding believes it is beneficial for young members of the squad to have the experience of coming up against men, as opposed to players of their own age.

“We know Reserve Grade is coming back next year, but at this moment in time it’s the experience the kids need – playing against men every week.

“The lads are going up against some great teams in the Championship. They’re getting tested and exposed at a higher level and it gives them experience and a better chance when they hopefully step up to Super League.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... jRukYU3.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan