Win it?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Win it?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 pm The Hull win was most probably the highest profile win of our season.

Until we beat Saints or Warrington, which we haven't done yet, I am not sure we have it in us. Especially now since losing Lockers.

Do we have the ability to manage games properly? Know when to take risks, when not to ? When to kick early, when to kick late? When to slow play down, when to try and get a roll on.

All of the above is needed to beat Saints and Wire.
Thing is i would agree with this if the season had more bearing on the finals, in recent years though this hasnt been the case in the last 3 seasons the league leaders i.e the ones who've done the job over the season haven't won the GF in fact last year Saints dominated like this season and failed to even make the final

In terms of game management - to be honest there arent many game managers around in any team any more, Sneyd is probably the closest - i dont think its an element of modern rugby league like it used to be. I think back to Sinfield/Farrell/Long/Briers etc those type of players have been replaced by high octane runners like Kelly/Williams even austin is more attacking than he is managing
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

There are game managers around: Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Moses, Jimmy Maloney, Benji Marshall etc. They just don't play in SL.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We have a terrific squad, most of whom know how to win at this time of year. We get a week off while Saints and Wire fight it out at Wembley. Lockers will be back for the play offs. One week at a time, but if we can finish 3rd (or 2nd) I would say it is 50:50. The main problems I see are that we need either FC to lose another game and their run in looks easier than ours, or Wire to implode, and I am yet to see anything that suggests Lam can get the best out of the squad. He has, though, won a big game and away from home at that. While they had a short turn around we were missing far more players.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

saintnickle wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:42 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 pm Saints will bottle it, Warrington are pretenders, Wigan will be triumphant
If we keep a fit squad and dont risk any 50/50 players we can defo win it....... our defence is still the best when its big game time and we seem too be a very fit team again, all of a sudden......ive got a sneaky feeling we might just finish second as well
The thing is Wigan cant afford to rest any players as there are 4 teams around them in Cats,Salford ,Cas and Hull who are also fighting for 3rd ,4th ,and 5th.And as for Wigans defence being the best i think Saints and Warrington have a much better defense and attack this season.Last season was different as you had the second best team in the league with better players than this.This season you are the 4th best.
Im sure we will find out how good our defence is if we play you in the final......its a marathon, not a sprint, for and against means nothing once we reach the playoffs.......we can afford to rest players if they are not 100% as we have been short of players all season....... the truth is that wigan are the team that is making every other team take notice as the business end comes
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Never mind the maybe's and perhaps's we just don't deserve to.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:20 pm Never mind the maybe's and perhaps's we just don't deserve to.
How do you work that out!?
New coach and loss of key players meant we would be disrupted early on.
I expected this season to be a rebuild season , especially with a coach only a makeweight originally.
It's not over till the fat lady sings she's not stepped up to the plate yet!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Lam has got us playing good rugby again....... were attacking better, especially down the right edge....... we also seem to be playing well however many lads are injured...... were also playing with smiles on our faces...... i think lam is doing a great job considering all the past goings on.......maybe Edwards, not coming, was a blessing in disguise
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:52 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:20 pm Never mind the maybe's and perhaps's we just don't deserve to.
How do you work that out!?
New coach and loss of key players meant we would be disrupted early on.
I expected this season to be a rebuild season , especially with a coach only a makeweight originally.
It's not over till the fat lady sings she's not stepped up to the plate yet!!
Did Leeds deserve to win it from fifth?

We have been shite until recently. Deserve it? No BUT in my opinion nobody deserves to win it. Those who will win it have won it on merit and winning what they had to win.

If we win the GF we are Champions, deservedly or not it doesn’t matter.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
saintnickle

Post by saintnickle »

If you win it from 4th or 5th you deserve to win it.But remember you will have to win 3 games to get to the final with 2 being away..
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I love the positive thread. I don't think we'll win it, but who knows?

I agree that deserving it doesn't matter.

The worst outcome for me would be losing to Saints in the final - I'd rather not get there.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐