Win it?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by Wandering Warrior » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:03 am

Whoever meets the plastic scousers, they'll have to win with twelve men! :lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield

saintnickle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:14 am

Re: Win it?

Post by saintnickle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am

I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete

medlocke
Posts: 8256
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Win it?

Post by medlocke » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am

saintnickle wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am
I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
:lol: :lol: :lol: Biggest bottlers of the decade :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by Firestarter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 am

Louey scarsbrick is a thug( against half backs and wingers)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by Firestarter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

medlocke wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am
saintnickle wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am
I suppose it depends on if you play rugby against us or Thugby.The way the playoffs are this year means that finishing top gives you a massive advantage and 2 bites at the cherry,whereas finishing 4th or 5th you are playing 3 games of knockout rugby with most games away from home.Last year even though we were the best team by far we limped into the playoffs and looked jaded.We wont make the same mistake this time and whoever we come up against will have be at their best to compete
:lol: :lol: :lol: Biggest bottlers of the decade :lol: :lol: :lol:
hes in dreamland meds....... anybody who believes in father christmas must be
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

bertina
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:29 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by bertina » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 am

moto748 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm
There are game managers around: Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Moses, Jimmy Maloney, Benji Marshall etc. They just don't play in SL.
Jackson Hastings does. :D :D

DaveO
Posts: 14261
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by DaveO » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

The top 5 should make it much harder for a team outside the top two to win it but at the end of the day the entire season comes down to a handful of games so it is a lottery as to who is fit and who gets the rub of the green.

I think all this notion of pacing yourself for the playoffs is a load of rubbish (and largely an excuse for poor performances during the season) precisely because whatever plans a coach might try and make to pace a teams approach to the end of the season, they can simply be completely undone by these factors.

The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.

josie andrews
Posts: 25422
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Win it?

Post by josie andrews » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

Now, now! Stop the sniping you're all moaning about it on RLFans!

This is a happy forum who accept proper comments & debates from other clubs fans. Let's keep it this way 😊🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by Caboosegg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am

DaveO wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.
DaveO we are in 4th place after an poor season start with no real pack!!! The wire game will show us if we stand a chance of the finals but out very thin pack has stood up to the plate in recent weeks.

Sure we arnt smashing through lines in attack but they also are not be rolled by the opposition.
RL's biggest issue is the constant negativity of its own fans.

support verb [ (ENCOURAGE)

"to agree with and give encouragement to someone or something because you want him, her, or it to succeed"

User avatar
Wigan_forever1985
Posts: 5232
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: Win it?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am

Caboosegg wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am
DaveO wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

The big game mentality issue can always play a part but it can only take you so far if you have injuries and we are very thin in the pack so for us to win I think the wheels will have to come off other teams in the 5 and I don't just mean Saints.
DaveO we are in 4th place after an poor season start with no real pack!!! The wire game will show us if we stand a chance of the finals but out very thin pack has stood up to the plate in recent weeks.

Sure we arnt smashing through lines in attack but they also are not be rolled by the opposition.
Having a small pack need not be debilitating if you get your tactics right. If you play small props like big props then you will come unstuck. The way to play small packs vs big packs is keep the ball moving and in play, kick early to turn the bigger packs around and use your smaller forwards wisely. Farrell is a great example of how to play in the pack as a smaller forward, he never runs at people he runs lines to cut through the defence.

Obviously in defence its a harder task but if you do things well when you have the ball you can take some juice out a bigger pack and make their runs less efficient.

Partington and Smithies really started putting themselves about a bit and that is serving us well, partington in particular in the hull game really rattled some of the Hull forwards. ISA also used to really get under Sneyds skin.

I just feel like at the moment there's a real buzz around the club again something thats really been missing for a while and its the impact of some good signings that weve talked about. Saints are expected to win this year, they have to carry that with them, plus lose Coote and they would be in trouble IMO.

Im not taking anything from the in season games because they dont matter otherwise saints losing to London twice would be significant.

Wigan and Saints GF with Wigan taking a low scoring scrappy match you heard it here first!
Always be yourself - unless you can be Dan Bilzerian then ALWAYS be Dan Bilzerian!

Post Reply