Using one less interchange

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Using one less interchange

Post by pearsy »

Could somebody explain the reason Lam does not use all the interchange players when one of the on field players is injured like SOL it means players have to play longer minutes and probably risk being injured
Firestarter

Re: Using one less interchange

Post by Firestarter »

Its a funny one......especially when we seem to get a player injured for the full game every week
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Thanks didn't really explain myself very well
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:37 pm Its a funny one......especially when we seem to get a player injured for the full game every week
Personally i dont mind it if its the correct circumstance.

in the lockers example Sammut was the unused sub, he isnt a forward nor are any of the players he would likely replace so throwing him and jigging the whole team around to compensate makes no sense really. Lam was obviously happy with the way the halves were playing and there wasnt and injury at 6/7/9 which are the positions id expect to see sammut introduced to cover. Powell went well and if he is in a grove then let him play.

I prefer this approach to the clock timed substitutions to me it shows a coach who is watching the flow of the game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pearsy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:43 pm Thanks didn't really explain myself very well
Sometimes the momentum & intensity of the game changes when a sub is used. He commented once before about it that he didn't want to change the balance of the play. He didn't sub Tommy with Jarrod for the same reason on Thursday at Hull.

Hope this answers your question.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Having Sammut on the bench was an absolute waste and similar circumstances should be avoided at all costs.

Given our injury record and only 8 interchanges, we cannot afford it. Do other clubs put themselves in the same position? From memory, no.

I know momentum can be lost when making subs, but I think it shows Lam is only confident in Sammut in certain circumstances. We have no room in the squad for players like that.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm Having Sammut on the bench was an absolute waste and similar circumstances should be avoided at all costs.

Given our injury record and only 8 interchanges, we cannot afford it. Do other clubs put themselves in the same position? From memory, no.

I know momentum can be lost when making subs, but I think it shows Lam is only confident in Sammut in certain circumstances. We have no room in the squad for players like that.
haven't we won 7 of our last 8? and all the games we've used this tactic so the tactic isnt detrimental.

I remember Brian Mcdermott doing similar at leeds leaving a back on the bench unused. I would imagine French would be the new bench utility given the fact he can play anywhere across the backline
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:37 pm Its a funny one......especially when we seem to get a player injured for the full game every week
Personally i dont mind it if its the correct circumstance.

in the lockers example Sammut was the unused sub, he isnt a forward nor are any of the players he would likely replace so throwing him and jigging the whole team around to compensate makes no sense really. Lam was obviously happy with the way the halves were playing and there wasnt and injury at 6/7/9 which are the positions id expect to see sammut introduced to cover. Powell went well and if he is in a grove then let him play.

I prefer this approach to the clock timed substitutions to me it shows a coach who is watching the flow of the game
Bilko and Mills weren't. They were wanting Sammut on all through the second half.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

But we won the game didn’t we? So while impossible to predict what might of happened the game was won with what did happen so by that logic it was the right choice
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Another concern is fatigue building up over the season. Wane and Bitcon were brilliant at managing this, especially with props. I'm not sure that you can do it effectively and use/not use subs as we do currently.

However, I do appreciate that's it's probably a case of "needs must" given departures and injuries.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐