Adrian Lam: Opinions changed?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Adrian Lam: Opinions changed?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Well our recruitment of late has sent some into a u-turn of opinion, for a time at least, as the Club have seemingly come up trumps with the Hastings and Burgess signings and French seems lively!

Has anyone’s opinions changed on Adrian Lam over the past few weeks?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mickw

Re: Adrian Lam: Opinions changed?

Post by Mickw »

No,I was willing to give him a chance and still am .
Putting samutt on the bench and not using him instead of another forward has me scratching my head a bit but we'll see what happens.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

No and won't just dont believe he is tactically good enough for Wigan. Love him to make me eat my words. But don't think that will happen.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No, I said from the beginning that he would come good
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Really pleased that results have improved but I don't think we're overachieving this season. It's more likely that the players have adjusted to Lam's methods and other teams are hitting more injury problems so I'd say that Lammy has done a good solid job. We still have a poor record against the top teams but did beat Hull (after they'd had a tough semi final and less rest). If we'd managed to get Clark in and had Bullock fit now I'd fancy our chances of making the final butb as it stands, not quite. If all teams had a full squad and were on form (I know that's unrealistic) I'd say we're the fourth best team this season. Next season, with luck, we could go very close and then we'll get a better idea how good Lammy is.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 pm Really pleased that results have improved but I don't think we're overachieving this season. It's more likely that the players have adjusted to Lam's methods and other teams are hitting more injury problems so I'd say that Lammy has done a good solid job. We still have a poor record against the top teams but did beat Hull (after they'd had a tough semi final and less rest). If we'd managed to get Clark in and had Bullock fit now I'd fancy our chances of making the final butb as it stands, not quite. If all teams had a full squad and were on form (I know that's unrealistic) I'd say we're the fourth best team this season. Next season, with luck, we could go very close and then we'll get a better idea how good Lammy is.
That sounds fair to me.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

For me the jury is still very much out,but he’s here and he has my full support
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He has managed to win a game against one of the top teams. They had a very short turn around, but we had more injuries and were away from home. There were 3 things I was looking for:
- resilience under pressure: seems to be improving;
- defence: seems to be improving, linked to the above; and
- attack: I still can’t see it, and he has had a very long time to work on our attacking structure. Aside from Powell running more, we still look really laboured. I am astonished he gave the team a week off, when it is clear they need to work on some moves that will hurt good teams.
Is he the best man for the job? He hasn’t made the same impact as Wane or McGuire in their first seasons. I don’t see him making the most of the squad available to him. But I accept there are mitigating circumstances. I think he is astonishingly lucky to have been given an extended contract, but hope he can make the most of it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mickw wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm No,I was willing to give him a chance and still am .
Putting samutt on the bench and not using him instead of another forward has me scratching my head a bit but we'll see what happens.
I think his hand was forced at Hull due to Lockers getting injured, our young forwards needed to play shorter periods to make sure they maintained intensity.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Lam was told to give us a more attacking ,fluent style,and do it with the existing squad.Most of the squad grew up being coached by Shaun Wane and there was a very strong bond and so Lams first task was to gain their trust,not something you do overnight but It seems to be working.We of course lost three important players to the NRL,one to suspension,and two out for the season due to injury.Now I realise you are already aware of these facts but the problem is that some posters are not taking them into account.There is no magic pill,meanwhile we are fourth in the league and playing quite well with three young forwards looking impressive.So have a little patience. (I never understood Why people complained about the team’s lack of attack since most of our tries were scored by wingers.Richards,Charnley,Burgess,Marshall,Manfredi,and Davies.I call that attacking rugby,tries are tries wherever you cross the line.)