Every game a stepping stone: Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Every game a stepping stone: Isa

Post by josie andrews »

Willie Isa previews Friday’s game against Hull KR at the DW Stadium.

The 30-year-old believes Wigan are a ‘better team’ since their last meeting with the Robins in June.

Isa: “We’re focused on making sure we improve from last week’s performance and look to be better through our attack.”

Willie Isa is hoping that Wigan Warriors can produce a similar performance to the last time they met Hull KR at the DW Stadium.
Liam Marshall scored a hat-trick as Adrian Lam’s side thrashed the Robins 52-10 back in June.

And Isa believes that the Warriors are now a ‘better team’ since that victory and is hopeful they can put in a repeat result.

“It was a good win and we are looking for the same on Friday,” he said. “During that match we had a sin-bin, but the boys did well to defend our line and I feel we took a step forward. I like to think that we are now a better team since that game.

“Every game is a stepping stone. Ultimately, we have done well but we always review things that we can do better.”

Wigan go into the game off the back of a 15-14 victory against Hull FC last Thursday, as Zak Hardaker kicked a late drop-goal at the KCOM Stadium, while Isa won the Sky Man of the Match award.

He said: “That win helps us to continue to climb up the ladder and to keep the season going, as we are only two points off Hull FC now.”

“I wasn’t expecting to be the Man of the Match. After the game, I just said whatever was in my mind at the time.”

The 30-year-old expects Hull KR to have improved since their last meeting with the Warriors, as Tony Smith’s side enter the game after a 27-26 Golden Point triumph over Castleford Tigers on Sunday to keep their hopes of Super League survival alive.

“We’re looking forward to a good challenge and I wouldn’t expect anything else. They’ve got Danny McGuire playing in the middle and he will give them lift, so we will need to do our homework on their key players. They are a dangerous team who have got good individuals all over the park.

“We’re focused on making sure we improve from last week’s performance and look to be better through our attack. Hull KR is not the problem at the moment, we need to focus on ourselves and keep getting those wins, as they’re vital at this time of the season.”

Heading into Friday’s clash, the second row believes the squad is ready to go, but admits captain Sean O’Loughlin will be a loss, after he suffered a pectoral injury last week.

“He will be a big miss for us, but we need to concentrate on the team as a whole and make sure the 17 who are picked go out and perform. We have to make sure we do everything right and that we win as team.”

Isa praised the younger players in the team for their contribution and the way they have adapted to Super League this season.

“Morgan Smithies and Ollie Partington have always done well and we’ve needed them, as they’ve put in good performances. Liam Byrne has also come in and done well too, so it is good as the most important thing is that we challenge each other and fight for spots in training.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... xFBYQ8X.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan