Wigan vs Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan vs Warrington

Post by morley pie eater »

I noticed a few occasions in first half when French was calling or pointing to other players. Once, for example, telling Willie Isa to switch to wing, and also pointing out a gap in defence at least once. Looked a bit like a full back organising his defence.

I wondered if this is the aspect of his game that he wants to use/develop? There was something along these lines in the interview about why he came here.

It also occurs to me, maybe way off beam, that Hastings said something about needing the right half back pairing - did he play any part in persuading Wigan to go for French, or getting French to come here??
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 pm Missed it as in Cumbria all week... glad of the win just hope we keep the momentum up.

You never know we may win this thing!

12,555 though?? 😬
No more than 1,200 Warrington fans in North Stand. I reckon they'll be saving up - either for Wembley or to pay their fines :D
800 tickets sold for Warrington I was told before the game
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm Thought defensively we were superb tonight. Smithies has a good game tonight but Marshall my MOM. Leuluai and sarginson were good as well tonight
Smithies and Partington’s work rate is phenomenal. They are carrying Clubb and Nav. Watch the game on tv and you will realise the impact they are having on our season. The number of drives and tackles they make are unbelievable for guys so young. They both have a great technique.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 pm Missed it as in Cumbria all week... glad of the win just hope we keep the momentum up.

You never know we may win this thing!

12,555 though?? 😬
Wire sold just over 1,000 tickets 😡
shaunedwardsfanclub

jackthelad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 pm Another win chalked off, French shown great speed, reminded me a bit of John Ferguson, disappointed Hankinson has to make way for Sarge though, he played really well last week, our young lads in the pack are getting stuck in and not getting rolled over, very promising
We will miss Sarge.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:
jackthelad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 pm Another win chalked off, French shown great speed, reminded me a bit of John Ferguson, disappointed Hankinson has to make way for Sarge though, he played really well last week, our young lads in the pack are getting stuck in and not getting rolled over, very promising
We will miss Sarge.
Not really. The players we miss are the genuine class players like Bateman.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Really enjoyed the game - in fact as I said on the general forum in general games over the last 3-4 weeks have been better to watch imo as the intensity ramps up

I thought wigan showed in the first half they can compete with anyone even saints some of the defence was wane level and our attack looks a lot more effective good to see George roaming more

French looks like he could be a special player - interesting to see where he ends up playing but his pace with trouble teams

I’ve been critical of the decision for Tommy to go round again but must admit he was great last night so maybe it’s not such a bad shout

Powell had another decent game too

Partington and smithies are a joy to watch - partington in particular could be our jake Connor

I said it before but I think wigan are the team now no one wants - even saints. If we make it to old Trafford all bets are off and on current form I see no reason why not we seem to been on a steady improvement curve for 10 weeks now
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

First half excellent,less so in the second half it has to be said,wire aren’t as good as they think they are and take Austin out and you have a team that offers little really,yet they came so close to scoring must be a worry for Lam.

Sarge again was steady,Zak too French gets people excited and as others have said Smithees and Partington go from strength to strength.

Thaler got most things right in fairness.
PAB721

Post by PAB721 »

I have submitted a complaint to the BBC over their headline 'Injury-hit Warrington lose again at Wigan' - and the subsequent reporting in the article about Warrington's injury list. I pointed out all of the players that Wigan were missing and asked them to explain why the piece was so clearly biased. It will be interesting to hear how they justify such sloppy journalism.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:55 am First half excellent,less so in the second half it has to be said,wire aren’t as good as they think they are and take Austin out and you have a team that offers little really,yet they came so close to scoring must be a worry for Lam.

Sarge again was steady,Zak too French gets people excited and as others have said Smithees and Partington go from strength to strength.

Thaler got most things right in fairness.
Second half our defence was outstanding. I thought wire came out to play for penalties and never seemed onside (although i cant say).

Even with that we bombed a fair few chances and if we can just sharpen up a bit more we could be posting some points.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.