Wigan vs Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: Wigan vs Warrington

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:21 am

Not really. The players we miss are the genuine class players like Bateman.
We will because Hankinson and Bibby are not as good. As for Bateman any team would miss him.
I don't know about Bibby but its horses for courses between Sarge and Hankinson and that's only because recently Sarge has had more than his usual one in four decent games. They are both of a standard where when they eventually leave it's shrug the shoulders time and they are pretty easily replaced as Hankinson will replace Sarge. When Sarge left last time I was glad to see him go and thought it was madness we re-signed him. Last season I saw nothing from him to change that opinion and the fact he has shown better form recently is no reason to get the tissues out and shed a tear hes off. He's been far too inconsistent over his time here to warrant that. He's still a player when he has the ball you wonder if it is going to be muck or nettles.
I think that’s a very fair summary Dave.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:
We will miss Sarge.
We will because Hankinson and Bibby are not as good. As for Bateman any team would miss him.
Sorry to disagree, players come and go....Hankinson has shown in his limited chances he is more than capable and has been very consistent in his performances,
He needs to given more game time to get established, it is still early days in his SL career
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jackthelad wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Sorry to disagree, players come and go....Hankinson has shown in his limited chances he is more than capable and has been very consistent in his performances,
He needs to given more game time to get established, it is still early days in his SL career
That’s fine. I am not having a go at Hankinson I just don’t think he offers as much as Sarginson.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I think Hankinson will be surplus to requirements next season, at least as an inside back. Hopefully Manfredi and Davies will be ready to go again after injury, while Burgess will get rid of his current, apparent "blues" - all of these in my mind above Hanky, whilst we have Gildart and Bibby signed on, both obviously also ahead of him (Bibby as a current SL player, in a team playing around the top end of SL). Then we have Marshall and French, the former playing very well with the latter just arrived from the NRL. Finally there's Hardaker, who quite a few think will make a more than decent centre, the same possibly applies to Manfredi.
To me, Hanky is too short of pace to be considered in front of any of the above backs and therefore takes up a valuable Salary Cap slot, in what looks like being a very competitive 2020 SL. Unless he's being considered as a reserve 2nd row then there's no place in the squad for him, and we've younger, more promising and more natural back rows than him. And it won't be fair on him to be treated like another Escare so action needs to be taken, for everyone's benefit.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I don't know about Bibby but its horses for courses between Sarge and Hankinson and that's only because recently Sarge has had more than his usual one in four decent games. They are both of a standard where when they eventually leave it's shrug the shoulders time and they are pretty easily replaced as Hankinson will replace Sarge. When Sarge left last time I was glad to see him go and thought it was madness we re-signed him. Last season I saw nothing from him to change that opinion and the fact he has shown better form recently is no reason to get the tissues out and shed a tear hes off. He's been far too inconsistent over his time here to warrant that. He's still a player when he has the ball you wonder if it is going to be muck or nettles.
I am not championing Sarge as a top centre, I am comparing him with the players who are likely to replace him. Hankinson and/or Bibby may prove me wrong and I hope they do. I would have liked Wigan to sign a top centre as a replacement but that seems unlikely to happen. I am not sure the club are confident that either are the solution hence the reason they both have one year contracts. It is also interesting to note that the club only enforced the extra year on Hankinson’s contact and signed Bibby when Sarginson had turned down a new offer.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 am

I am not championing Sarge as a top centre, I am comparing him with the players who are likely to replace him. Hankinson and/or Bibby may prove me wrong and I hope they do. I would have liked Wigan to sign a top centre as a replacement but that seems unlikely to happen. I am not sure the club are confident that either are the solution hence the reason they both have one year contracts. It is also interesting to note that the club only enforced the extra year on Hankinson’s contact and signed Bibby when Sarginson had turned down a new offer.
Is Bobby playing centre or wing? I think that Salford may be getting the most of this is a centre exchange.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It depends whether Bibby is being paid as much as Sarg as to whether we have got the better of the deal. If, say, we saved money which made us better able to sign French then we may have well got the better of the deal... I think Sarg is a very good full back (though not in Hardaker’s class of course), and Salford should play him there.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm not too worried about Sarge moving. Wigan's greatest strength in the past has been consistency and he doesn't really have that. I don't know enough about Bibby because when I've seen him, he rarely stands out. Now that might be because Salford don't play to his strengths or that I've been unlucky seeing him in a not that great team.
Whichever, I would hope that Hankinson is being trained up to be a replacement for Isa in the second row and his goalkicking (although secondary, now that Hardaker has found his range) will still be a very useful option in the future.
We talk about utility players but they rarely are. However, I could see Hankinson filling that role in the team and that could be a very useful option to have.
DaveO

Wigan vs Warrington

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote:

The offer can’t have been up to much if he’s decided he’s better off at Salford which suggests the club has an idea of what he’s worth.

Neither Sarge nor Hankinson are what I’d class as a top centre. Hankinson’s problem is a lack of pace but I think every other aspect of his game is better than Sarge’s. Hankinson is far less likely to shoot out of the line in defence and just seems to know how to play the game as part of a team whereas Sarge wants to win the game single handed.

Give Hankinson Sarge’s pace and I think we’d have an excellent centre. As it is I think if Hankinson gets the nod next season we won’t be seeing Gildart type length of the field tries from him but he will look to put his winger away instead of trying to go the distance himself knowing he can’t. He seems to have decent hands and a sense of what is going on around him and so hopefully he will work well with his winger. It will be different so overall I am just not bothered Sarge is going and I don’t think he will be missed.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sarge isn't leaving for money. He just wants a change of surroundings.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan