Bevan French can take Super League by storm, says Wigan Warriors coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bevan French can take Super League by storm, says Wigan Warriors coach

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam has tipped Bevan French to be 'a revelation for Super League' after the Aussie new-boy crowned his full Wigan debut with a try in the 20-6 win over Warrington.

French only arrived in the UK a fortnight ago after being granted a release from NRL outfit Parramatta Eels.

But after dipping his toe in off the bench last week against Hull KR, he marked his first start with the opening score - and also had another breathtaking effort controversially ruled out by the video referee.

"He's exciting isn't he?" gushed Lam. "I get on my feet every time he gets the ball.

"What's left of this season, and the whole of next year...it's going to be unbelievable for Bevan French.

"I know that will get some bums on seats here at the DW Stadium.

"And I really think he'll be a revelation for the whole of Super League as well."

It was a great night all round for Lam and the Warrriors, whose ninth win in their last 10 matches saw them move level on points with second-placed Warrington with three rounds of the regular season to go.

I thought our first half was brilliant - really, really strong," said Lam, whose side led 18-0 at the break.

"We could probably have scored another couple of tries as well, we were that dominant.

"I believe that last time we played Warrington, at Magic, we were seventh on the ladder.

"We've climbed a few places since then, which is really pleasing - for the club and for the supporters.

"We know we didn't start the season well, but we're going all right at the moment.

"And we've still got Sean O'Loughlin, Ben Flower, Joe Burgess and Joe Bullock out.

"There's some experience to come back into the side, which should help us even more."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/bevan- ... -1-9941290
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Re: Bevan French can take Super League by storm, says Wigan Warriors coach

Post by Wintergreen »

I have to say he looks amazing ball in hand.

You just feel that give him half a chance and he will be away (and no-one will catch him)

Last Wigan player I thought that about was Jason Robinson.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He reminded me of Henry Paul when he run from dummy half for the disallowed try
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Great performance from him, in completely alien conditions and climate after that monsoon all day. Difficult to see Budgie getting back in.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’ve got my reservations with french as I’ve watched him a lot in the NRL.
There’s no doubt he will get you on the edge of your seat with his pace and explosive play but I’ve always thought his defence is abit suspect.
I’d like to see how he gets on in a high tense game under pressure against a team like saints
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I have watched him in NRL quite a lot as well.
Eels been my NRL team since we signed Kenny and Ella.
I always thought he was good especially from 1 where he could chime in all over. I could not believe we was in for him as I thought he was injured, looked like a super star when he broke into the team. On wing especially modern day NRL he lacked that power and size that seems the in thing bringing the ball out his D always looked ok for me though he was often up against more power. Along with a couple of injuries, the players hes up against and the coaches style we have got a the kind of player we would not normally get near.
If you look at what Marshal is doing at moment in SL I already think French was up to and past that level in NRL.
I think the prospect of Hastings with French and Hardaker hitting passes outside and Gildart, Budgie, Marshal and Manfredi as well we look like being a very entertaining fast and dangerous team. If G Burgess Clarke and Greenwood can punch holes for Hastings French will be a sensation.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
bertina

Post by bertina »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:14 am I’ve got my reservations with french as I’ve watched him a lot in the NRL.
There’s no doubt he will get you on the edge of your seat with his pace and explosive play but I’ve always thought his defence is abit suspect.
I’d like to see how he gets on in a high tense game under pressure against a team like saints
Budgie’s defence is hardly a strong point.
For me he’s been poor for weeks.
Wouldn’t have to be a brave decision for my money to leave him out and play French.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

bertina wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:14 am I’ve got my reservations with french as I’ve watched him a lot in the NRL.
Budgie’s defence is hardly a strong point.
For me he’s been poor for weeks.
Wouldn’t have to be a brave decision for my money to leave him out and play French.
Oh no I’m just saying. Budgie needed dropping for me, might give him the kick up the arse he needs. We know he’s better than he’s been playing
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

1 french
2 manfredi
3 hardaker
4 gildart
5 burgess/marshall
6 hastings
7 leuluai
8 burgess
9 powell
10 flower
11 greenwood
12 farrell
13 oloughlin
Subs
14 smithies
15 partington
16 bullock
17 hankinson

This would be my starting 17 next season....... plenty of scope though...... french might be a half but ive yet to see him play there....... zak is a great full back but i see us stronger with him at centre..... joe burgess is class but im not sure this season hes done enough........ tommy will be pushed( hopefully) by shorroks and sammutt........ byrne ( who i rate highly) will be knocking on the door...... powell and tommy can both push for the 9 along with the kid who played at salford( forgot his name) who looked very capable abot like micky mac......lockers only gets the nod if hes 100% as smithies is pure classs andthe same goes for partington for flower............ if escare isnt staying then i think a centre is our final piece of the jigsaw and keep zak fullback.........after writing this i actually forgot about clarke which , hopefully is an added bonus........great squad all in all but if morgan isnt happy lets get a class centre and release him and possibly another......... job done imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is a great position to be in. He seemed to have a roving brief from winger anyway, so maybe they could even change the formation during games (like Leeds used to do with Harris). I was surprised we offered burgess a new contract given that he is only interested in going to the NRL, isn’t playing well and we have loads of wingers.