Third place. Things getting exciting now.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Third place. Things getting exciting now.

Post by bertina »

What a favour Salford have done us tonight. 3rd place. 2 bites of the cherry in the play offs instead of sudden death.
Listened to the game, Hastings involved in everything.
What a signing for us this lad is.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Third place. Things getting exciting now.

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Wire play Salford away the Thursday after Wembley. If Hastings works his magic again, second place is within our grasp. I can honestly say if someone had told me we could finish second a few months ago I would have thought them to be completely insane. That Powell drop goal against Hull KR seemed to change everything.
Last edited by Exiled Wiganer on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 pm Wire play Salford away the Thursday after Wembley. If Hastings works his magic again, second place is within our grasp. I can honestly say if someone had told me we could finish second a few months ago to be completely insane. That Powell drop goal against Hull KR seemed to change everything.
If we did not have the golden point we would be in second place now .
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 pm Wire play Salford away the Thursday after Wembley. If Hastings works his magic again, second place is within our grasp. I can honestly say if someone had told me we could finish second a few months ago to be completely insane. That Powell drop goal against Hull KR seemed to change everything.
So is Lam up to scratch yet then?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Our right sided attack is the best its been since 2013........ no one can dispute that....... lam has got us playing better rugby than wane, and with a weakened squad........ if he wins a trophy 🏆,everyone agrees, if he doesnt he gets doubters
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Billgreenwoodsson

Post by Billgreenwoodsson »

And of course our dear friends at Leeds have home games against Warrington AND Salford. If we win 3 out of 3 against Cat Cas n Wake we fairly sure of 2nd shirley!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

So is Lam up to scratch yet then?
[/quote]

Well, we have beaten FC and Wire in the last few weeks. Though one was straight after a brutal semi and the other was before Wembley, so they have a bit of an asterisk. He has always had a great squad and failed to get much out of it on many occasions. We have shown much greater resilience and defensive organisation (notably after Peet came back) and that pivotal win came after he had been away and so not coaching us at all. The attack looks good enough to score the 20 points we will need to win play off games, and more balanced.

I still have my doubts that he is the best man for the job, and haven’t forgotten displays so abject they beggared belief. I also believe we could have done better than just give him the job, rather than scour the world for more talent, as Saints may show us after their recruitment drive. But, I am much less concerned and gone from convinced he is hopeless to hopeful he can use the resources available to him.

The real heroes in this are of course IL and KR, whose tireless investment in youth has lead to us heading upwards off the back off the astonishing performances from our young pack.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We could finish 2nd or 6th
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 pm We could finish 2nd or 6th
We would be in 2nd place only for the golden point we would have 31 points Hull 29 .