Investing in the squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Investing in the squad

Post by josie andrews »

Take a look at the exciting squad additions for the 2020 season.

Renew your season ticket and book your place at the DW Stadium for next season

New for 2020, U8s go FREE

With a whole host of new signings announced over the summer, we take a closer look at what Wigan fans can look forward to in the 2020 season.

The Cherry & Whites have had a busy summer committing pen to paper on a number of players for next season alongside Head Coach Adrian Lam, who himself agreed a new contract with the Club until the end of the 2020 season.

Let’s take a look at who fans can expect to see run out at the DW Stadium next season for the Warriors.

New signings

Bevan French

Wigan fans will already be very familiar with the Australian speedster, who joined with immediate effect in July. Since joining, the versatile back has made two appearances, one off the bench and one start in which he also grabbed his first try for the Club. Watch his first try below.

French joined from NRL outfit Paramatta Eels where he scored 35 tries in 47 appearances.

On signing the 23-year old, Head Coach Adrian Lam said, “Bevan is an entertainer, a natural footballer who I have admired for some time. He will get people up from their seat and add even more attacking threat and flair to our game.”

Having already seen what French is capable of, Wigan supporters purchasing a season ticket can look forward to plenty more during the 2020 season.

George Burgess

After a decade down-under, prop-forward Burgess agreed to join Wigan Warriors for the 2020 campaign on a three-year deal.

Burgess will leave South Sydney after ten years of stellar service alongside twin brother Tom Burgess and elder brother Sam Burgess at the end of the 2019 season to return to the UK and play in Super League.

On his future move to the Warriors, Burgess said: “After speaking to Adrian Lam and Kris Radlinski, it’s clear to me that there’s something special happening at Wigan Warriors in 2020 and beyond. Although it’s a huge decision to leave the NRL and say goodbye to Souths, I’m excited as to what the future will hold at Wigan Warriors and the Betfred Super League.”

Jackson Hastings

The 23-year old stand off will join the Warriors for the 2020 season after signing a two-year deal in July of this year.

Born in Wollongong, New South Wales, Hastings has made a name for himself in Betfred Super League with a stellar 2019 at the AJ Bell Stadium. So far this season, Hastings has scored eight tries and assisted another 33 for the Red Devils.

On his style of play, Kris Radlinski said at the time of the signing announcement, “His attacking nous with ball-in-hand and his running game have lit up the Betfred Super League since he’s arrival in the UK in 2018. Furthermore, I believe his leadership and influence will play a big role for us in 2020 and beyond.”

Jake Bibby

Wigan-born Bibby signed a two-year deal with the Cherry & Whites back in June to start in 2020. The centre, who has also been deployed on the wing during his career, will join from Salford Red Devils where he has impressed in 2019.

On the centre signing back in June, Executive Director Kris Radlinski commented, “Jake has proven at Salford that he is a high-level Super League performer and competitor. The exciting thing for Wigan Warriors, and for Jake, is that we believe he still has room for improvement.”

Hear from Bibby in his first interview with the Club on Wigan TV HERE.

Mitch Clark

Following spells with Doncaster, York City Knights and Hull Kingston Rovers, the prop-forward established himself in the Castleford Tigers front line in 2019 before heading to Leigh Centurions on a short deal until the end of the 2019 campaign.

In June the 26-year old penned a 3-year deal with the Cherry & Whites from the start of the 2020 season. On the deal, Clark said, “It’s a massive Club with so much history which speaks for itself. This is one of the biggest Clubs in the world - I’m majorly looking forward to joining.”

On the capture of Clark, Kris Radlinski commented: “We are delighted to have signed Mitch for next season. I believe he is one of Super League’s most destructive forwards.

“What has impressed me in our conversations is how much he wants to play for Wigan Warriors, how he wants to conduct himself off the pitch, at training and how much he wants to play a prominent role for our Club. We’re extremely excited to see him in the Cherry and White next season.”

Has this list got you excited for 2020? If so, make sure you don’t miss a minute of Betfred Super League action at the DW Stadium and grab your season ticket! For more information on prices, benefits and more, click HERE.

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... witter.jpg

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... VZtlbYk.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Investing in the squad

Post by ancientnloyal »

All to shift season tickets... which is fine. But news of Hamlin would be good
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Lets see if all the people using signing as a reason to stay away turn up!!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Agreed with the Hamlin question,

But why is there a different advertisement displayed when accessing this link?

And, obviously this is a lead up to season ticket sales! Using Josie to subliminally entice this website to promote.

Mick
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickh wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 pm Agreed with the Hamlin question,

And, obviously this is a lead up to season ticket sales! Using Josie to subliminally entice this website to promote.

Mick
Which link do you mean? The first link is an image link, the second one takes you to the website.

They aren't using me, I'm just posting news from the official site. Besides, I think they could do a lot better than me to promote ticket sales 😉😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Club uses new signings to sell season tickets shocker.

If the club didn't do that it would be a dereliction of duty, we've got to try something to get the casual armchair fan to attend more than just Wembley and old Trafford.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:09 pm All to shift season tickets... which is fine. But news of Hamlin would be good
Hamlin's contract is up at the end of the season. I see no reason how or why the club would give him a new deal (or even that he would be allowed or want to stay in the UK). Hamlin's future at Wigan is sorted even though it might not be apparent
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:26 am
mickh wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 pm Agreed with the Hamlin question,

Mick
Which link do you mean? The first link is an image link, the second one takes you to the website.

They aren't using me, I'm just posting news from the official site. Besides, I think they could do a lot better than me to promote ticket sales 😉😉
I disagree Josie, I think you would do a better job than them. Nice to see your photograph in the match day programme by the way.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Am i missing something here though

Just looking at season ticket prices and east is £276 but game day tickets are only £25

So you get what 13-14 home games in a season? (or do play offs count?) so you could pay per game and you would get to 11 games - so the season ticket only gets you 3 "free" games.

Considering you may miss 2-3 games for differing reasons and the fact certain games always have offers (like groupon)

there doesn't seem a massive amount of appeal to a season ticket
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m really looking forward to next season with these new signings.
I still think we could be in with a chance this year if we can get all injured players back. Think the youngsters have really stood up well for us, think we need the experienced players going into the playoffs though